Maths?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Forko, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Forko

Forko

Hi there, i got my nice shiny aspire one A150 with linpus pre-installed. I need a maths program and i was wondering if anyone can tell me a good one i can install on it. I need it to be able to do pretty much everything in mathematics, so anything basic probably won't do. If there is a plugin for openoffice then please mention it.

Thanks for the help.

P.S. - I did the advanced mode hack and opened the package manager, but it spends a very long time retrieving package information. I used fedora core 8 before and it never ran this slowly before, and the hardware on this is actually higher spec than the computer i was running that on. I also have a good speed internet connection, so is there any reason why it runs so slowly?

Forko, Aug 25, 2008
  2. Forko

Rechosen

If you install openoffice.org-math you can use the internal formula editor using Insert -> Object -> Formula. It does quite a lot.

Rechosen, Aug 25, 2008
  3. Forko

triacontahedron

What do you mean by "I need it to be able to do pretty much everything in mathematics"? Do you need a program for typing in equations or to do some mathematical calculations? In any case Latex is the answer for the former and Mathematica/Octave for the later. All these programs can be easily installed.

It runs slowly probably because SSD used in aspire is a cheap one and not as fast as an hdd.

triacontahedron, Aug 26, 2008
  4. Forko

Albertde

You could install maxima (with wxmaxima), which I use on my Ubuntu desktop; however, I prefer less powerful programs for the Aspire One and so I installed PARI/GP for quite sophisticated numerical calculations (shows up under Accessories in the advanced menu) and mathomatic (under Accessories) for symbolic calculations. If you really want to do symbolic calculus, you need maxima; if you can do with less, then mathomatic is the way to go. All these programs are available via Add/Remove Programs. I have also used yacas but was unable to find it in the Fedora Repositories. However, you can find an RPM package on the Internet and use installer to find and install dependencies (as well as yacas, of course).

I have since installed maxima with xmaxima and wxmaxima, both work fine!

Albertde, Aug 29, 2008
Ask a Question