Media player and blue tooth

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bowser, Jan 5, 2009.

1. bowser

bowser

I desperately want to like this little computer, but for the life of me I cannot seem to make it do what I want.
    I have read the forums and still cant make it work, there are only two things I want to make it do and one is to talk to my phone via bluetooth and the second is play media files.

I just don't understand how to make bluetooth work I have a belkin mini adaptor class 2, which is supposed to be compatible.
    I have a number of video media files avi which play sound but not video, I have downloaded and installed VLC but still no joy, keeps saying no codec ? where do I find them and where do I put them, I tried downloading a file from VLC but when unzipped it reports all the files as windows ones ?
    Anyone with any ideas.

My only other option is just to install windows.

bowser, Jan 5, 2009
  2. bowser

markh

markh, Jan 5, 2009
  3. bowser

bowser

Thanks for the reply, and the advice the search box is top right hand corner of the page and I have used it, have not as yet found a thread that has actualy helped, I have updated everything I can think of, I still cant make make it work.

As a point of interest I tried the search box before bothing to post at all.

bowser, Jan 5, 2009
  4. bowser

markh

Well, I can personally guarantee that there are several answers on here for getting vlc+codecs, because I'm happily watching stuff on it. Unless you have something using a really obscure codec? Have you tried acquiring a video file that uses something like the xvid codec, for example, and seeing if that works? If it doesn't, then whatever method you've used has definitely failed, and you need to start from scratch. If it does, then perhaps it's whatever file you have.

In a similar vein, that bluetooth thread has many happy customers. Perhaps you need to post in more detail about what you've done and what hasn't worked, and then someone may be able to help.

markh, Jan 5, 2009
  5. bowser

woodland

Hi Bowser welcome...

There are several ways to install vlc... which method did u use?

if you used the Acer way,,, by means of the aceraspireone support site: you got a stripped down version of vlc which does not have all the codecs.

if you use the "macles way" : http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/11/inst ... linux.html you will get the full vlc wit all the codecs needed to play sound and video files.

If you used the Acer support site... you can just do the "macles way" now it will update your stripped down version to the full version.
    you probably already have the nice little vlc icon in in the Fun group on your desktop, so you don't have to follow macles instructions with regards to installing the icon.

Hope this helps you out,
    Enjoy your AA1

i don't do bluetooth..... call me paranoid.. Use the search function and you will find info that helps you out (i'm sure of it)

woodland, Jan 5, 2009
Ask a Question