Memory upgrade issues

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by psortland, Nov 24, 2008.

1. psortland

psortland

Hey guys,

Recently got the 512, 8g ssd version of the Aspire one and love it. I decided to upgrade to 1.5 gigs of memory, and thanks to the guides here I was able to get the ram installed without an issue. fired it up and I have 1.5 gigs. However now things are just running dirt slow. I am wondering if I installed a bad dimm, or if I installed an incompatible dimm... or heaven forbid I actually damaged the motherboard. I'm going to remove the memory today at lunch and see if that helps. I guess in normal usage it's normal speed, but I am running gentoo linux and was compiling kde. Normally I can leave it overnight and I come back with a fresh build, however this time I came back and it was still building, not even half way though.

new ram module:
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0239619

psortland, Nov 24, 2008
  2. psortland

nmesisca

well running slow is sort of subjective to the observer..
    I would suggest you stress test your memory with something like memtest to see if it is ok.
    also, if you install a diag tool like Everest, does it recognise the modules correctly ? (including their speed?)

N

nmesisca, Nov 24, 2008
  3. psortland

psortland

Thank you for the response. I installed the memtest86 kernel and thats running right now, anything in particular I should be looking for? I generally am not up to speed on hardware etc. but I can build a mean linux system :)

visible data:
    memtest-86 v3.3
    1596Mhz
    l1 cache: 32k 6514 MB/s
    l2 cache: unknown
    Memory: 1524M 3669 MB/s
    chipset: <blank>

psortland, Nov 24, 2008
  4. psortland

nmesisca

the longer it runs the better it is, so let it go..
    if all is ok after that, your memory is more then likely ok, however, I suggest you check with a utility that reports SPD data to see if reports the correct timings.

nmesisca, Nov 24, 2008
  5. psortland

psortland

so I decided to just go back through and make sure everything was seated properly... Put everything back together and performance was MUCH faster. timed build of the links browser was 40% faster. 4 mins 34 seconds vs 6 minutes and 7 seconds, this is both with a cleared portage cache and temp files. I am thinking it could have been a bad connection with the SSD. Thanks for the help nmesisca!

psortland, Nov 25, 2008
  6. psortland

nmesisca

no problem. glad you sorted it out.

enjoy.
    N

nmesisca, Nov 25, 2008
Ask a Question