Michael Phelps is a cheater.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ivar, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Ivar

Ivar

It can't be possible that a man without drugs wins everything so easily.
    I remember the last Games Marion Jones got lots of medals.
    Everybody gave her words like:Best athlete ever,Fastest woman ever.
    And then...We all know the truth.
    Also,Why does he has to participate in so many competitions?
    If he could only participate in one competition he would only get one medal.
    Swimming is only ONE sport.
    So It doesn't matter if He is good at breaststroke,crawl,etc.
    If he could run a marathon that would be different.
    He is just good at swimming so he just deserves one medal.

Stop this cheater!

Ivar, Aug 15, 2008
  2. Ivar

janss

This has nothing to do with Linux software. Or the One. Or this forum in general.

Locked.

janss, Aug 15, 2008
  3. Ivar

glibdud

Moved to Off-Topic and unlocked.

glibdud, Aug 15, 2008
  4. Ivar

niem102

It's not that he's a cheater...his body just naturally produces much less lactic acid (which I believe means he doesn't feel fatigued as quickly or something), and I think I heard his heart pumps much more blood. Kind of more like some kind of mutant lol...and it worked out much to his favor. Also swimming may be 1 sport, but different strokes turn into very different races. And it's a very difficult sport. So basically he's not a cheater, he's a freak of nature.

niem102, Aug 15, 2008
  5. Ivar

Mark83

Of course he's a cheater, but everyone else too. Or do you really thing there is one single athlet who doesn't use illegal drugs?
    All of them use drugs, so it's fair again and comes down to his genetic advantages

Mark83, Aug 16, 2008
  6. Ivar

Waterbirdx

lol, i just think u guys are just mad....chill out..

Waterbirdx, Aug 16, 2008
  7. Ivar

rory

So because he is the best, and best in 8 things, he must be a cheater.
    LOL!
    And "all athletes take drugs"
    LOL!

This thread was obviously opened in wake of sour grapes
    Rory

rory, Aug 17, 2008
  8. Ivar

Mark83

open your eyes and don't be so naive.
    perhaps this helps you a bit, it's worth watching it:
    http://www.watch-movies.net/movies/bigg ... r_faster/#

Mark83, Aug 17, 2008
  9. Ivar

rory

Well surely he will be top of the drugs testing list. If I was him I'd volunteer to prove im not a cheat.

rory, Aug 17, 2008
  10. Ivar

Mark83

you didn't watch the documentary :lol:

there are enough illegal substances that connot be proven and the cheaters are always ahead of the testers

Mark83, Aug 18, 2008
  11. Ivar

glibdud

Man, and I thought I was cynical...

Come on... to claim that all top athletes use illegal substances is ridiculous. You can't look at a general trend and just apply it to every single individual. There will always be exceptions. In this case I'd bet there's an awful lot of them.

I think it's more accurate to say that all athletes take some variety of supplements to improve their body's development and performance, but that's an entirely different question: where's the line between legal nutritional supplements and illegal performance-enhancing substances? There's a lot of gray area there, largely because, as has already been mentioned, there is an extremely wide variety of substances out there, and I'm sure a lot of them haven't been classified.

But I'm no expert. And neither, I would wager, is anyone else in this discussion. Let's just let the drug police do their job, quit worrying about it, and enjoy the Games.

glibdud, Aug 18, 2008
  12. Ivar

Mark83

do you think it's possible to win against an athlete who uses illegal drugs without using them too?

Mark83, Aug 19, 2008
  13. Ivar

glibdud

I disagree.

Absolutely. Maybe not in all sports/events, but most. Strength isn't everything.

glibdud, Aug 19, 2008
  14. Ivar

zk2008

The Olympics doesn't have to be fair for us to enjoy the games... Do you think it's fair that the US and China get so many more medals because our athletic programs are more advanced and our countries are wealthy enough to support our athletes. Also, the population must give us an advantage... statistically, the US and China should have more competitive athletes than other countries. There are plenty of things we can complain about, but is it really worth it?

I'm just happy to have the opportunity to watch the world's best athletes compete and represent their countries.

Z

zk2008, Aug 19, 2008
  15. Ivar

Mark83

It's not only about strength, there are substances for the improvement of every single ability available. Bowman won't take drugs to gain strength

Mark83, Aug 20, 2008
  16. Ivar

niem102

I don't think there's a drug to improve someones form on the butterfly/any other strokes. You just need to practice until it comes natural and you get the muscle memory to do it well. Maybe a drug could give slightly better coordination or reaction time or something like that, but it won't really help just sheer hours of practice and muscle memory. The only thing that would make much of a difference is increasing strength.

niem102, Aug 20, 2008
  17. Ivar

Ryan

Well if they are all doing it then they aren't cheaters surely - they all have access to these so called undectable drugs. It's only cheating if an external influence such as drugs gives an unfair advantage and if you all think that they are all on drugs then it's all fair? ;)

Ryan, Aug 24, 2008
  18. Ivar

H@buster

At least in swimming he doesn't win because of drugs etc but because of his superior technique. I saw him swiming and he moved his arms slower than the others but was faster :p That's true skill :D

H@buster, Aug 27, 2008
  19. Ivar

millerm277

If swimming was about brute strength, or the like, I could see maybe alleging that he could be a cheater. But, in reality, swimming is really determined by coordination and technique, not just who can move their arms the fastest.

millerm277, Aug 27, 2008
  20. Ivar

...BeAkEr...

The guy is a legend [I'm from UK and live in Australia so I'm not biased :) ]

He has double jointed knees and ankles so he has a much more fluent leg action in the water, also drugs are a very rare enhancer in swimming as it takes a lot more technique than running. His rivals consider him a great swimmer, that's good enough for me.

Also UK beat Australia in the medal tally so HAHA! @ my Aussie mates ;)

...BeAkEr..., Aug 28, 2008
Ask a Question