Microphone not working

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sastryms, Nov 28, 2008.

1. sastryms

sastryms

I am unable to reccord anything using the internal microphone. I have tried switching to an external mic, but the result is the same.

Has anyone come across this problem and solved it ? Acer tech support asked me to reinstall something called simutrans.sh. Didn't help.

I am talking about my brand new Aspire One running Linpus Linux Lite.

Any leads will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Sastry
    Bangalore

sastryms, Nov 28, 2008
  2. sastryms

pablo2340

I have the same problem. Neither the internal mic, nor an external mic, seems to work. Only got the AA1 this morning, so this is a bit disappointing! I have done what was suggested to you - installed simutrans, but with no result. I had already done the live update to install all available updates...
    How does one get onto Acer support?

pablo2340, Nov 28, 2008
  3. sastryms

pablo2340

Actually, I have now installed Skype, and both the microphone (both internal & external) and webcam are working within Skype. So it seems to be a problem with the installed Webcam software, rather than with the microphone...
    Any further views?

pablo2340, Nov 28, 2008
  4. sastryms

woogal

The webcam app doesn't do sound. Been discussed loads of times before.

woogal, Nov 28, 2008
  5. sastryms

pablo2340

Sorry! Being a real newbie, I had omitted to search the forums for that...
    Mea culpa!

pablo2340, Nov 28, 2008
  6. sastryms

sastryms

Thanks, mates, for all the replies.

It now is more or less clear that I (like other Aspire One owners) am stuck with a webcam that captures video but no audio. Even the Messenger tool does not allow voice calls.

Great. Just great. Acer deserves a round of applause for this ingenious design. What is the purpose of building in a mic anyway ?

So is there a way out other than installing skype ?

TIA
    Sastry

sastryms, Nov 29, 2008
  7. sastryms

edwinmennes

Hello All,

I also have the same problem, the internal mic don't work.
    I've installed Skype from the Acer web side, this wend well, and even the video works.
    But I only can use the system using an external Microphone (Need to plug in at the right side).
    And I don'd have it by hand when some one calls.

Is there really no one who have solved this issue?
    If there is, please led us know!

Thanks.

edwinmennes, Nov 30, 2008
  8. sastryms

Marathon

Hi,
    my guess is that the internal mic is ok but that the mixer settings are not set appropriately (I assume that you are running linux). Have a play with the controls by clicking on the loudspeaker icon in the tray (bottom left on screen). If you are using alsa you can control the mixer by running "alsamixer" from the command line (the mic may be muted).

Hope this is of some use
    Marathon

Marathon, Nov 30, 2008
  9. sastryms

edwinmennes

Thanks for the advice, but I don't see a mute option that has been put on.
    There is only one Mute available at the alsamixer and that's the Master.
    The other options I see are: PCM, Mic Boost, Capture, Digital and Input source.
    All set to 100, and for input source I have the options i-Mic and E-Mic.

But at both options I don't hear a difference at the Skype Test Call.
    But when I plugin an external Mic all work perfect.
    Is there an other way to test the internal Mic?
    Mybe it's Skype that gives the problems.

If you have any other suggestion, please provide it.
    Because I don't seem to be the only one struggling with this internal Mic.

Thanks,

Edwin

edwinmennes, Dec 1, 2008
  10. sastryms

Marathon

OK, here goes. Try typing "aplay -l" without the "" and this should show you your alsa input cards and devices. Then try typing "arecord -l" and this should show you your outputs.

Now you can set the defaults by putting a file called .asoundrc in you home directory. My guess is that your inputs are: (card 0 device 0) and (card 0 device 4). Your output will probably be: (card 0 device 0). So try putting the following in .asoundrc:

pcm.!default {
    type asym
    playback.pcm {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "hw:0,0"
    }
    capture.pcm {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "hw:0,4"
    }
    }

I haven't tried it but I have something similar to map my usb headset as the default. Hopefully this will set your default output to card 0 device 0 and your default input to card 0 device 4 when the alsa application loads. I am assuming that the external mic is device 4.

Good luck - if it doesn't work I'm out of ideas for now.
    Marathon

Marathon, Dec 3, 2008
  11. sastryms

edwinmennes

Hello Marathon,

Thanks for your help, the mic is dowing something. But I can't make a good sound out of it.
    The vollume is verry low, and the voice is more like a scratching sound and not understandeble.

Is this an hardware problem? Or a software setting?
    Dou you or someone else have the same experiance?

Thanks,

Edwin

edwinmennes, Dec 4, 2008
  12. sastryms

ianb

I agree with the comment that what's the use of a webcam recording video without the sound. I feel the whole machine has not been put together properly and am thinking of returning it to PCWorld. It seems unless you are an expert linux user it is not a useful machine as all the time you have to install this bit or that bit of code from God knows where in places I've never heard of. Apart from the desktop the rest is useless. Nobody has given a straightforward answer to the mic problem which shows how difficult it all is. :(

ianb, Dec 7, 2008
  13. sastryms

Dulwithe

1) Re: Your comments about linux... Fedora is NOT a good choice to have made with this notebook, UNLESS Acer installed a fuller gamut of programs and made certain their weren't any major issues with the install. The OS, whether Linux or Windows, NEEDS a messenger like Skype, and there is NO excuse for not having installed and set it up (or another free messenger like Gizmo).

2) The mic issue is annoying. I have 2 Acer Aspire One's. One works, one doesn't. I'll have to reinstall my distro to see if I can get it working right. You use this problem as support for the fact that Linux is "not a useful machine...", but if you do a quick search of this forum, it seems that the mic problems occur with linux AND windows. So, the mic problem has nothing to do with the OS.

3) Try Mandriva Linux (Mandriva One or Free is fine... If you install Mandriva One, you want to set up the full repos... VERY easy to do, and I'll probably post in another thread.) ALL is working (mic except for one of my netbooks as above, skype, webcam, hibernate, SD card slots plug&play, headphone jack, mic jack, etc). Mandriva doesn't have a really fast boot, but it is easy to overcome this by setting to suspend to ram upon closure of the lid. Hibernate is excellent for saving your session when you need to go farther with no power cable and don't want your power to trickle away while you aren't using your notebook.

D.

Dulwithe, Jan 6, 2009
  14. sastryms

Dulwithe

Hiya, I am having the same issue and tried what you suggested. Result for arecord -l (both hard drive mandriva install and live cd) is card 0 device 0.

In your experience, does this likely mean there is a problem with the mic not being recognized (ie: BROKEN!)??

Thanks.

D.

Dulwithe, Jan 7, 2009
  15. sastryms

LisaKirsty

Hey there, sorry about the problems with the AAO. It is a bit of a pain that the webcam doesn't record with the microphone too, but I don't think it's that much trouble. Most people who buy the Aspire One are just looking for a small netbook to cart about them to do work and such on. As for the quote above from Sastryms, the messenger DOES allow voice calls. I don't know if it is just me, but both my brother's AAO and my own work.

Thanks, got to cut this message short 'cause I have to go to the next class!

LisaKirsty, Jan 9, 2009
  16. sastryms

rowantree

rowantree, Jan 9, 2009
  17. sastryms

edwinmennes

Hello all,

I just have started a repair action by calling the Acer Support desk.
    They know the problem, and asked me if I had run all the updates?
    That had to solve the mic problem. But because the mic never had worked, and opening all volumes I can hear a "WoWo" instead of a conversation they think this is a hardware problem.

UPS delivered the netbook to acer last Wednesday, I will led you know if it really was a hardware failure.

Greeting,

Edwin.

edwinmennes, Jan 10, 2009
  18. sastryms

edwinmennes

Hello All,

My Mic problem is solved.
    There was a HW failure, The repair center replaced the microphone and also updated the BIOS. I just got the system back and the Skype Testing service (echo123) worked fine.

Thank you all for giving advice.

Greetings,

Edwin

edwinmennes, Jan 12, 2009
  19. sastryms

jellybean40

hi everyone. I am new to this fantastic and very informative forum. In regards to your internal microphone not working. I have had the same problem with my system and after sending it off to be repaired, i have been informed by acer that the sound issue is a problem they new existed when they implamented the linux operating system yet decided to use it regardless. They have told me that linpus have not issued a fix to resolve these problems and that i have to keep looking for updates that MIGHT resolve the issue if one comes to light at all, so in the mean time i can't use the mic for what i intended to use it for in the first place (bit like markating a car with dodgy brakes but selling it to the general public all the same?) i will be demanding my money back that i can be sure of. :evil: p.c world also informed me that they have stopped selling linux based systems due to the amount of complaints they received after selling these systems (i visited them over an issue not actually related to this one) particulerly over the mic not working.

jellybean40, Oct 12, 2009
Ask a Question