Midi Sequencer

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rabato, Jan 1, 2009.

1. rabato

rabato

Hi all,
    I am looking for a midi sequencer that will let me import or open midi files and listen to them.
    I've got Audacity installed which imports midi files but doesn't play them and Timidity++ which plays them but does not yield a graphic representation.
    Thanks.

rabato, Jan 1, 2009
  2. rabato

RockDoctor

You might want to check out rosegarden

RockDoctor, Jan 3, 2009
  3. rabato

rabato

Thanks for the reply Rockdoctor. I did look at Rosergarden and it seemed like just the right thing, although:
    If I am not mistaken, i'd need to compile for Linpus/Fedora? I am afraid I wouldn't know where to even start. Would it be feasible to find somebody who has compiled it for AA1?
    Thanks

rabato, Jan 4, 2009
  4. rabato

RockDoctor

There are pre-compiled rpms of Rosegarden available for Mandriva and generic i386 (see the last listing) at
    http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=rosegarden]
    Mixing rpms from different Linux distributions works occasionally but is not recommended, The generic development version from the rosegarden sourceforge site might be a better bet here.
    Rosegarden is also available pre-compiled for Ubuntu (and perhaps other Debian-based distros).

If you decided to try installing the Mandriva version on Linpus, or if you decide to switch to another distro, I stronglyrecommend backing up your system first so that you can restore it to its present state if you don't like the results.

RockDoctor, Jan 4, 2009
  5. rabato

rabato

Thanks RockDoctor. It sounds a bit complicated for the little use i'd be giving to it. I want to try and install OSX on a pendrive so I think I will just use whatever I can find for that platform.
    Thanks again!

rabato, Jan 4, 2009
Ask a Question