Mini PCIe Intel wireless

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Memduster, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Memduster

Memduster

I used tankgrl's excellent mod videos to put a small hard drive(60 gig Samsung) and add Ram, but I wondered if I could upgrade my wireless? i just looked on NewEgg for PCIe cards, and found a few. I liked this particular Intel one(Intel 622AN.HMWWB), because it had 2 antenna attachment points, just like my built-in Atheros wireless card had, and it was supposed to work with wireless N, and it was Centrino. So I ordered it from NewEgg. When it arrived today, I unpacked it and read the papers included with it. Intel states on the data warning sheet included with it, and by the way, not mentioned anywhere on NewEgg's site, that this particular card will only work with Intel Duo dual core processors. I was really disappointed, but I thought, before I pack it up and send it back to NewEgg, I should at least try it. I installed it, used the drivers on the DVD that came with it, and it installed fine. It Kicks BUTT! I love this little card. Now for specifics.

My system
    Acer Aspire one ZG5(or if you look in the BIOS, the real Model is AO110)
    WinXP home
    1.5 Gigs Ram(Modded)
    60 Gig Samsung Hard Drive(Modded)
    Atheros wireless PCIe card installed

Installing an Intel 622AN.HMWWB Centrino wireless card.

As I mentioned above, the dis-assembly was easy because I used tankgrl's excellent videos for the mods.
    The antennas snapped right in to the new card, the only problem that I had was that the new Intel card is only about half as long as the one I was replacing; so it could not be screwed into the same post that holds and stabilizes the old wireless card with a internal screw. The card also wants to stay up at an angle and tends to slide out if left with no support. I was concerned that the card could slip out of the socket if I left it like this. My solution was simple, put a small sticky square under the card to hold it in place. It works fine and there is no circuits where the sticky square is stuck to. I was going to include pictures to illustrate all that I did, but the board here says that the quota has been reached for this board, and it will not let me upload any pictures. I am aware however that Intel flat out states on the paperwork included with this card that it is not supported in non-Core Duo motherboards, so if it doesn't work, you can't exactly call Intel and complain, but who cares, it works in my system, and works good! This is half the fun of modding, is getting things to work that aren't supposed to!
    As I say, I use WinXP Home, fully updated with just a few services disabled(curse you indexing service, the death of many a good hard drive!), but other than that, a straight set-up like it was bought. It works good in my system. Since it is an Intel wireless card, odds are that linux wouldn't work with it. Just wanted to share my successful Mod. Many thanks to tankgrl for inspiring me and starting me down the path to modding my Acer Aspire One.

Memduster, Nov 6, 2010
  2. Memduster

jjjacer

yeah there shouldnt be any problems with that, ive already replaced my atheros crap card with a gigabyte card using the realtek chip (also its a/b/g/n) speeds are better, signall is up 50% and i havent seen any issues in linux,. intel cards should work in most modern linux distros although you might need an updated driver or firmware. and just a note. I do tech support for hotels, and we have noticed one thing, if the Hotel or wifi hotspot uses a Senao or EnGenius Wireless AP (especially the CB3+) you will have no luck in connecting, you might connect and get an IP but you will send data and not receive any. This is do to the power savings feature on the AP and the Intel card and basically what happens is the power savings goes on and off constantly preventing a good link. other than that, intel cards are fairly reliable and fast.

good luck with your Aspire One, They are fun little netbooks

jjjacer, Dec 12, 2010
Ask a Question