Mini PCIE N Wireless card?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Subliminal, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Subliminal

Subliminal

First of all I would like to say hello to the community! I just got a couple AA1's last week (1 for me, 1 for the wife). Both of us have the XP version and are loving them so far...So far i've stripped all the crap programs and have upgraded the RAM and have noticed a marked increase in performance. After taking these little units apart and seeing the guts it seems like it would be really easy to upgrade the network card. So I went to tigerdirect and found this: h t t p ://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3955290&CatId=2697

Has anyone tried this upgrade yet? If so what do you think? :D

Subliminal, Sep 2, 2008
  2. Subliminal

Subliminal

well....just to let everyone know, I went to intel's site downloaded the drivers, went to CompUSA bought the card, installed without the third antenna (couldn't find one for sale locally), and I'm now enjoying 130 Mbps. connection! So anyway, I highly recommend this upgrade. :)

Subliminal, Sep 3, 2008
  3. Subliminal

naddie

Congrats! I figured this would work. Glad you were able to confirm it. The card is pretty inexpensive, and is easy to do. Not to mention that Ubuntu have drivers already for it. With the built-in Athros, we have to fiddle with the drivers to get it to work. Not a huge deal.

I wonder if the Intel AGN eats up more power than the Athros. And does the little wireless switch work on the Intel AGN too?

naddie, Sep 5, 2008
  4. Subliminal

Guest Guest

Great questions. It's unlikely the OP can tell us the differences in power draw without official specs of both cards but I'd also like to know about the WLAN switch. I'll probably do the upgrade too if the switch is able to control the new card.

Guest, Sep 6, 2008
  5. Subliminal

ipearl

you mentioned that you have the 120 HDD version.
    Could you maybe take a picture of the back casing ??? and if you ever opened the AO some pics of the inner casing ?
    I am interested in teh differences of teh case design of that model compared to mines thanx.

ipearl, Sep 6, 2008
  6. Subliminal

DiSK

I don't notice any difference in the external casing, from pictures of the SSD version. They both have a little round bump on the bottom, that all I can think of.

DiSK, Sep 6, 2008
  7. Subliminal

ipearl

Wierd... B/C looking at my SSD version i cant see how they fit a 2.5" had in it. w/o a different case or atleast thicker.

Btw whats the heat output of you changed out PCI-E and power draw ???

ipearl, Sep 6, 2008
  8. Subliminal

scalpel_ninja

scalpel_ninja, Sep 6, 2008
  9. Subliminal

ipearl

hummm intersting in that case u ma grind down the knobs completly of my ssd so i can fit padding for HD =) thanks for the links.

PS: i think the HD version has a thicker housing b/c if the had sit there like that it has to have a indeted buttom or thicker housong for the mobo not to flex.

ipearl, Sep 6, 2008
  10. Subliminal

teagy

I got a dell 1505 11n wireless mini-PCI to work on my aspire one...Works prettty good.

teagy, Sep 6, 2008
  11. Subliminal

Subliminal

I'm just waiting on my 3rd antenna from oxfordtec now! soon i'll have full 300 Mbps connectivity! The difference in power draw is negligible same with the heat output.

Subliminal, Sep 9, 2008
  12. Subliminal

goapy

I'd like to go with the Atheros A/B/G/N Card, such as this:

http://www.oxfordtec.com/us/p125/GIGABY ... _info.html

However, I'd also like to install the third antenna, as shown by lufcfan in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1443

That antenna seems to fit perfectly - it seems that most other antennas won't fit. I can't seem to find anything like it anywhere online. Any sources for an antenna like that, preferably in the US?

goapy, Sep 9, 2008
  13. Subliminal

goapy

The oxfordtec photos only seem to show the connectors, not the antenna itself. Have you confirmed that it will fit? Do you have photos of the antenna that you ordered?

goapy, Sep 9, 2008
  14. Subliminal

Subliminal

i found the photo on the oxfordtec website somewhere i'll see if in can find a link to it, I think it was on the page for the 6" long antenna lead with U.FL connector

Subliminal, Sep 9, 2008
  15. Subliminal

Subliminal

Subliminal, Sep 9, 2008
  16. Subliminal

Subliminal

I think I get mine in the mail tomorrow!

Subliminal, Sep 9, 2008
  17. Subliminal

elBradford

I think I am going to do this upgrade as well. Can anyone confirm that the switch on the front works with an Intel or Dell N adapter?

Also, I am looking into a usb-hub and gps mod and I'm wondering if there's room around the screen for the third wireless antennae and a gps antennae?

elBradford, Sep 12, 2008
  18. Subliminal

melhiore

Switch is just powering miniPCI ON and OFF. Then it must work... There is enough room to fit wireless antenna but forget about GPS :( GPS aerial is square and to big to fit...

melhiore, Sep 12, 2008
  19. Subliminal

elBradford

Yeah, I am realizing now that all the GPS antennas I've seen look like they're square. I know NOTHING about gps signals unfortunately. Some USB devices are small though and have no external antenna. I wonder if anyone has had any success placing one under the wristpad like in the bluetooth mod by tnkgrl. Also, this one (http://www.wi-sys.com/products/antennas/WS1357.php) is only 13mmx13mm but is nearly 6mm thick.

elBradford, Sep 12, 2008
  20. Subliminal

melhiore

No chance - the gap between case and mainboard is not big enough to put GPS antenna there - also to prevent antenna from loosing GPS signal it suppose to be in unobstructed place. I'm looking for any way of placing GPS in there but at the moment I'm stuck...

melhiore, Sep 12, 2008
Ask a Question