Miro - myth TV on Acer One & Linpus Linux

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by fw1962, Aug 11, 2008.

1. fw1962

fw1962

Hi,

i wish to use the Acer One "A110L" with 1GB RAM as an TV

I wanted to use the following programs

Miro = http://www.getmiro.com/download/

myth TV = http://www.mythtv.org/

DVB-T USB Stick = ?????

Does ist work with the Acer One Linpus Linux ? - Who can write his experience

fw1962, Aug 11, 2008
  2. fw1962

gbee

Let us know how you get on. I'll be trying a MythTV trunk frontend on mine when it finally arrives. A backend should be a no brainer, it will easily manage that, although I probably wouldn't chose to try it on an SSD model since people are still concerned about the number of read/write cycles.

In terms of CPU/RAM the One will work as a frontend on paper, especially with a lighter weight theme and the QT painter. However the atom is relatively untested. Vias are known to be extremely poor for video since they lack even the horsepower for mpeg2 decoding. The Intel GPU is sufficient and I guess depending on opengl support in the drivers it might even allow the GL painter to be used.

gbee, Aug 11, 2008
  3. fw1962

retsaw

Try here for a list of supported USB DVB-T sticks. In my desktop I have a dual tuner PCI card (the Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T 500) which is basically a USB controller and 2 Nova-T USB tuners on a card, and that works well, so presumably the normal USB version will work well too, but there are different versions so it may depend on which version you end up with.

I wouldn't really want to run both front and backend for MythTV on the Aspire One, it will probably be okay, but slow and unresponsive at times, and the SSD version really doesn't have enough disk space since MythTV writes even live TV to the disk, not to mention the wear it will cause the SSD. MythTV is also a memory hog, the front+backend combined on my desktop uses over half a gig of RAM. For simple TV viewing I'd recommend Kaffeine instead.

retsaw, Aug 11, 2008
  4. fw1962

gbee

Well it largely depends on the theme, more images, higher resolution == more RAM. Hopefully the situation will improve with 0.22, some dramatic reductions were made between 0.20 and 0.21, I still think gains can be made.

gbee, Aug 11, 2008
  5. fw1962

jack

Agreed, running a Myth backend on an AA1 isn't the most sensible idea in the world. The frontend, however, works fine.

jack, Aug 11, 2008
  6. fw1962

jack

On a related note, if you are in the UK, BBC iPlayer works as well on the AA1 as it does on a desktop.

jack, Aug 14, 2008
  7. fw1962

herby68

Hi folks,

how to install mythTV as a linux noob? ist there a rpm package?

best regards

Herby

herby68, Aug 26, 2008
  8. fw1962

IMSancho

There are MythTV packages available on ATrpms(use the Fedora 8 packages), I am using those to run mythfrontend on my one and it performs remarkably well with SDTV, though of course changing to a 1080i HD channel is too much for it.

IMSancho, Aug 27, 2008
  9. fw1962

sideways

sideways, Aug 27, 2008
Ask a Question