misc noob questions

Discussion in 'Windows' started by e_p_a_k, Aug 3, 2008.

1. e_p_a_k

e_p_a_k

hi guys..I've just successfully managed to install XP on my Linpus Aspire One, but I've run across a few hitches:

First, the battery indicator icon doesn't appear.
    Second, it goes into "it is now safe to turn off your computer" when i shut it down, and doesn't turn off automatically.
    Finally, every time I boot it up, it asks me which OS to boot from: XP, or USB repair mode.

Any help?

Just some more information: I'm using an nLited XP with SP3, I used a USB flash drive to install XP, and during installation I selected "standard computer" as my computer type..I think it might be because of this?

Thanks in advance!

e_p_a_k, Aug 3, 2008
  2. e_p_a_k

mazade

Hello there,
    I'm running an nLite'd xp install on my One also. This laptop, when given the option, will have itself known as a "multiprocessor acpi" computer.. or something like that. The 1.6GHz Atom inside it is actually a Hyperthreading capable processor and XP does take advantage of that quite well.. so yes it will choose to be called a multiprocessor computer. As far as the boot up options, go edit the boot.ini file in C:\ and remove the USB line.. it's not that scary opening that file, its a very simple and basic thing.

Yeah, I believe you're thinking right about it possibly being the "computer type" that you specified in setup.
    Since you're using nLite to make you're install mods, may I suggest that you do not integrate the drivers into the install.. unless you've experienced flawless driver integration(including and especially the sound card). here's my reason for saying that... my own personal experience: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=442

mazade, Aug 3, 2008
  3. e_p_a_k

e_p_a_k

thanks for the info. will try another reinstall later. will this cause XP to recognize my laptop as a laptop? my biggest problem at the moment is my lack of a proper battery indicator..it keeps recognizing my battery as an "unknown device", and i can't find drivers anywhere.

e_p_a_k, Aug 3, 2008
  4. e_p_a_k

mazade

Hello,
    Well... I can't say that I've ever had windows identify anything as a "laptop" but if it detects a battery it should automatically give it some sort of meter about its power level. I've read where others had some problem along these same lines(on this same aspire one forum) and there seems to be some driver that fixes it... When I did my nlite modding of the XP install I just made sure that I didn't remove too much from it and the battery monitoring stuff worked without any need for drivers or anything. It should just work by default... if all things go well.

mazade, Aug 4, 2008
  5. e_p_a_k

e_p_a_k

any chances you can point me in the directions of these forums/drivers?

e_p_a_k, Aug 4, 2008
  6. e_p_a_k

mazade

mazade, Aug 5, 2008
Ask a Question