Mobile broadband + Aspire One

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Petticoat5, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Petticoat5

Petticoat5

Which mobile boradbands are compatible with my Aspire One? Or is it easier to convert it from Linux to Windows so that they're all compatible? I've been told Vodaphone can be ok, but not straight out of the box - it will need some fiddling about. All I want is internet access to do ebay and hotmail. Nothing fancy. But I don't want a load of cables in my house. Any helpful hints? Thanks!

Petticoat5, Oct 9, 2008
  2. Petticoat5

westonpf

The Huawei E169 & E220 supplied by 3 in the UK work (tried and tested personally), presumable the same modem will work on any network as it is the kernel that is recognising them. There is a thread on the site that lists working 3G USB dongles so any listed should work whichever network you are with.

westonpf, Oct 9, 2008
  3. Petticoat5

drewb

The E172 from T-Mobile UK also works no probs with the vodafone software

drewb, Oct 9, 2008
  4. Petticoat5

pxharder

Well, this may not be mobile broadband but I am able to hook my T-Mobile Dash smartphone to my Acer and through Internet Sharing I can use it anywhere. We have an unlimited data plan and I try to use it only when I need it.

Paul

pxharder, Oct 9, 2008
  5. Petticoat5

retsaw

I got the Huaweu E160G from 3 and it works well with the Vodafone Mobile Connect software. You can also get it working with wvdial from the command line or Gnome PPP, without too much difficulty, but the Vodafone software adds some udev rules which gets hotplugging working (before that I had to either reboot or do a suspend/resume with the modem attached to get the device nodes created in /dev/) the software also tracks bandwidth usage, it does have a SMS feature as well, but I found it to be unreliable.

retsaw, Oct 14, 2008
  6. Petticoat5

loaded18

'3' model MF622 works BUT , its causing me BIG problem at the moment , every time after i used the '3' , it causes my other network connection to malfunction. i have to re-install the wifi, lan driver EVERY TIME :eek: ! i had my techkee mate to help and he says its to do with the IP address , dhcp services blah blah .....

has any one experienced similar problems? can any one help please :cry:

a150 1g, 120g hd, 3304 bios updated , xp sp3 clean installed over linpus -no dual boot ,no other fancy os etc. ;)

loaded18, Oct 15, 2008
Ask a Question