Mobile broadband from 3 network not working on AcerOne linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by prabu99, Nov 28, 2008.

1. prabu99

prabu99

Hi,
    I bought a Linux AcerOne few days back and all working fine happy with my Sky Wifi.
    Next I signed up for Three Mobile Broadband. I received Huawei E156G usb dongle.

My first surprise was that their instructions said only Windows and Mac OS X are only supported.
    Without loosing heart I tried to connect and test. USB is detected as normal usb stick and opened by filemanger.

I installed the mac version of the software - hoping after all Mac OSX is Darwin(unix). It installed mobile partner software supplied by Huawei.
    On lanching the mobile partner, it detects the network and shows the signal strength and network provider name as "WCDMA 3 UK".

The softeware has send and receive text feature. I tested it by sending a test a mobile phone. It goes fine. And sent test reply to this SIM number.
    Got the text message in this software's inbox with ring bell sound. All fantastic.

My only trouble now is on the connection tab I don't see a profile name. I guess only if the profile appears, I can connect to internet?
    There is no way to create and configure a new prfoile.
    Do I need a driver for HSDPA or something?

Please guide me.

Thanks.
    Prabu

prabu99, Nov 28, 2008
  2. prabu99

ricaird

ricaird, Nov 30, 2008
  3. prabu99

tpcug

I have thought about using 3 Mobile myself and don't really want to fork out for a dongle without knowing it will work.

I am a bit surprised that the Mac software works, an earlier thread relating to vodaphone indicated that perhaps their software was the way to go.
    viewtopic.php?f=42&t=5528&p=36946&hilit=vodaphone#p36946

A couple of references that are Ubuntu and EEEPC related rather than AA1 but might give a pointer or two on setting up.

http://dalelane.co.uk/blog/?p=254
    http://www.linux.co.uk/docs/center/how- ... -broadband

If (when) you have success please post the details.

tpcug, Dec 1, 2008
  4. prabu99

prabu99

Thanks for your reply guys.

In fact after posting original message in 30min I got it working. I just need to create new profile with PIN number. All working perfect at home or on the train or at office. £5 a month for 1Gb bandwidth - perfectly fits my need.

here is the steps..

1. Insert the 3G dongle
    2. Wait.. FileManger will open it as 3Connect USB drive
    3. cd to disk1
    4. run setup.inx
    5. Wait for few minutes
    6. Now go to the home, navigate to connect >
    7. you will see "Mobile partner" icon in green double click it
    8. Wait for few mins , software will detect the dongle and show in the left bottom network strenght just like mobile phone
    9. It will also show WCDMA 3 UK. At this stage everything gone well you can be 99% sure it will work.
    8. next go to Tools > options > profile management
    9. Click New button
    10. Give any profile name .. say My3Network
    11. in the APN box enter "3internet"
    12. leave all the rest to default
    13. click ok
    14. Now you will see your profilename in the drop-down list
    15. select your profilename and click connect button.
    16. A popup will ask for PIN. enter 0000
    17. In few seconds you are connected to internet.. :)

prabu99, Dec 2, 2008
  5. prabu99

Ron_Burgendy

Many thanks prabu99 for the above.
    Didn't want to go down the XP route (might do the dual boot later) as I want to try out Linux first but it wasn't looking good without the 3G for work.
    Now to get up to speed with this Linpus.

Ron_Burgendy, Jan 27, 2009
Ask a Question