Mobile partner has stopped working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bt20, Apr 13, 2009.

1. bt20

bt20

Hi!

After the latest live update where the 3G network manager was added my 3 dongle, which was working very successfully up until then, has stopped connecting (no other changes whatsoever).

The new network manager (blue icon) will not recognise my device (a Hauwei E160) and I cannot find the application on the package manager to disable it.

Any ideas and or similar experience.

Thank you,

Ken

bt20, Apr 13, 2009
  2. bt20

gtscad

My Mobile partner has stopped working as well

Hi

I have a similar, if not the same, problem. I loaded the latest updates last week and since then Mobile Partner does not work correctly with my E160G modem. The modem is detected and appears to connect OK (flashing led becomes solid). However, mobile partner reports 'connecting.....' and there is no Internet connection. Previously, everything was working fine.

I can find no way to uninstall any of the updates because they are all marked as critical. I successfully uninstalled the newly added 3G connection manager for datacards but it made no difference. Does anyone know a way of changing the status of the updates AFTER installation?

I really need to sort this problem because my main reason for purchasing the (Linpus) ONE was for mobile use....

Thanks

John

gtscad, Apr 13, 2009
  3. bt20

redkop

Had this problem too, but when I clicked on Firefox I just unticked Work Offline and then I could get on to web pages, the mobile partner just didn't recorder how long I was on for and data rates, I have since got read of linpus and gone to Unbuntu Netmix instead

redkop, Apr 13, 2009
  4. bt20

pms5

Same problem for me too.
    Anyone know a way to remove the offending update or anything?

pms5, Apr 13, 2009
  5. bt20

bt20

Cheers Redkop,

I never thought of just checking if I was online while Mobile Partner was trying to connect (suprisingly).

And voila! I was online - didn't even have to tick the view offline button.

Something clearly is wrong and, as usual, Acer is leaving it up to its users to sort out.

Of course, you still have the situation of the app trying to connect in the background and, occasionally, the netbook hangs as I try to cancel the event.

The linux support is, I think, woeful for the aspire one leaving most things up to the Macles blog.

Maybe there is a technical reason why but I cannot understand why Firefox and Open Office etc. cannot be updated via Live Update.

Anyway, enough of this rant If you are unsatisfied by this situation, Easypeasy Ubuntu runs sweet on the aspire one.

Is there a channel for reporting this to Acer?

Cheers,

Ken

bt20, Apr 13, 2009
  6. bt20

swillis167

Same problem for me too. Just says 'connecting'. When i open a Firefox page it works for a while then hangs :-(

How do you remove the offending updates?

Help !

swillis167, Apr 13, 2009
  7. bt20

bt20

It's a weird one.

Does nobody from Acer monitor these posts?

Now that I know that the net access is only temporary, I shall revert back to Easypeasy Ubuntu. The network manager automatically recognises the dongle and fills in the details for 3 broadband. Also, Open Office 3 and Firefox 3 as standard.

I'll check back in a few months to see if Acer have got their act together.

Good luck folks.

Ken

bt20, Apr 13, 2009
  8. bt20

redkop

not sure how to undo the updates but I am using vodafone dongle so I did get a download link from them to run my dongle without using the mobile partner, but since the weekend I have ditched the acer software and gone with Ubuntu Netbook remix, a lot easier and nicer, plus easier to install my vodafone dongle

redkop, Apr 13, 2009
  9. bt20

franksyratt

I'm writing this with Mobile Partner still saying 'connecting'
    But I went to the set up tools and chose to find a connection manually, instead of automatic and got it to work
    And now I'm back in business
    Not ideal I admit, but at least I can use up my 30 days £15 from 3.

Have a go....

F.....

franksyratt, Apr 13, 2009
  10. bt20

alevichron

Me too.
    But I would like a favour. can someone with a working 3G confirm the mobile partner connection messages? I think it goes from wcdma to HSdpa when connecting correctly. My connection does not complete and drops out from HSDPA. Thanks

alevichron, May 4, 2009
  11. bt20

fritzm

I seem to have this problem caused by a recent Mobile Partner update (either 180083 or 180084, they were both applied at the same time so I'm not sure which caused the problem). With my E220 modem, it would connect, but the "connecting" window stayed open so I could go online but not access any of MP's other tools.

I seem to have found a solution, in case it helps anyone else. Open Live Update and select "History"; this gives you a list of updates, and a "Remove" button. However, the "Remove" button is only functional for optional updates so it is mostly useless. What you can do in this case is scroll down until you come to "A patch for Huawei CM (Multi language and modules)(180082)" which is removeable. Important, note the following :before you click on "Remove", make sure that you have an alternative method of connecting to the internet, because removing this patch will uninstall MP totally, leaving you unable to connect to the internet with your modem. OK, if you are now set, select patch 180082, click on "remove" which will remove MP totally. Now go into Live Update again (I think there was a restart before this, I don't remember exactly), do an update and it will offer you patch 180082 to install; do this and you will now have MP back and working as it used to. The update list will show you that 180083 and 180084 are still installed, which I think is not true since re-installing the older patch will have overwritten the later patches, but it is useful since it prevents Live Update from offering you those two again.

Fritz

fritzm, Jun 7, 2009
  12. bt20

Gbarcs

Hmmmm! Fritzm, you have hit on something here. I, like you and a lot of others have been well hacked of with this Mobile Partner thing with seemingly no response from Acer. Here is my experience based on your forum. Clean reinstall of Linpus. (Tried Ubuntu NBR, fine, another story.) Ran Live Update. Uninstalled 180082 (it seems to be the ONLY optional update that can be uninstalled in my history) ran live update again and selected 180082 and installed again.I differ from you now slightly in that 180083, 180084 and 180048 also appear to be reinstalled although never uninstalled? weird. Suffice it to say MB now works fine and no longer hangs on the connect box even though it was working. I have no idea what it's all about but it works and I am extremely grateful to you. Just hope others pick up on this!

Gbarcs, Jun 9, 2009
Ask a Question