Mobile Partner.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by doug, Oct 18, 2008.

1. doug

doug

Latest update (after 3 attempts and about an hour) has brought up a new icon. Any ideas what it is all about, as all it seems to do is ask for a profile name.

doug, Oct 18, 2008
  2. doug

NeilB

For those who have a Huawei 3G dongle it has added drivers and a connection program. The Mobile Partner software dectects the dongle and you can configure your settings. With one click next time you can connect to the 3G network - no need to use Wvdial or Vodafone software. No need to plug the dongle in and reboot etc.....

NeilB, Oct 22, 2008
  3. doug

sk3rmo

is this for the linpus os? i have an unmodified 8gb linux with 1gb ram. Will this work without any modifications? I'm a total linux noobie and your inputs would be very much appreciated.

thanks much

sk3rmo, Oct 22, 2008
  4. doug

grobut

Im using the the danish ISP Telmore, and its the same software the dongle installs on windows.

I tried exporting the Mobile Partner profile from my xp installation and import it on Linpus, but no luck. I tried it yesterday on linpus. It looks like it connects, but im not able to use the net...

Any Danes who got it to work?

//Grobut

grobut, Oct 22, 2008
  5. doug

maneshmt

Hello
    The easiest way to use "mobile partner" ( acer USB Mobile patch") is to stick your existing USB modem in to a windows computer, it will show the settings in the "pop up window" and copy it in to your mobile partner. I had a Huwaiee 3 USB modem which is working in Aspire one in few minutes, despite limited knowledge of linux linpus.
    Cheers
    Manesh

maneshmt, Oct 23, 2008
  6. doug

doug

Perhaps it's me. When I click on the icon for Mobile Partner, I get a page with a section marked Profile Name. and one which says Connect. But I can't type in the box. Am I missing something?

doug, Oct 24, 2008
  7. doug

NeilB

Yes, click on 'Tools' then 'options' then you can add a new connection profile.

As to our Nordic friend who connects but cannot surf.....mine did the same until I changed the authentication settings to 'pap.'

NeilB, Oct 25, 2008
  8. doug

grobut

It works :mrgreen:

Thank you very much NielB :D

//Grobut

grobut, Oct 25, 2008
  9. doug

doug

Thanks mate, all working perfectly now.

doug, Oct 26, 2008
  10. doug

Stefan

I've installed the patch for huawei 3G (180063) but my Huawei E220 doesn't work with Mobile Partner.
    When I start the software the mobile is first detected, then the sim card scanned, then mobile disconnected. This can go on for hours.
    I don't get a chance to connect.
    I am in a weak HSDPA area but get 3G signal most of the time (t-mobile UK) on my xp pc and vista laptop. The signal sometimes "hangs" on 3G
    and I change to GPRS by hand, which is usually at night. But I can get a connection to the modem itself all the time on xp and vista.

Any ideas anybody?
    Would a different modem work better? My contract is up next month and I could switch to 3 or vodafone and get a free new modem.

Any help appreciated as I am fed up having to fire up my pc to surf a few web pages and check emails, thats what I bought the One for...

Stefan

Stefan, Oct 26, 2008
  11. doug

doug

Vodaphone seem the only company that show any interest in Linux. If I were you I'd have a word with them.

doug, Oct 26, 2008
  12. doug

Esoptron

This seems to be the same problem I experienced. The modem is also identified as mass storage and the system keeps on switching between the two.
    Here is the solution I found on http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showpost.ph ... ostcount=4

Edit /usr/share/hal/fdi/preprobe/10osvendor/20-broken-usb-sticks.fdi

Add the following lines after
    Code:
      <match key="@storage.originating_device:usb.vendor_id" int="0x12d1">
        <match key="@storage.originating_device:usb.product_id" int="0x1003">
          <merge key="info.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
        </match>
      </match>

After rebooting the Huawei E220 is recognized as a modem only.

By the way, I am still having trouble getting my modem to work. I think it is in the profile settings for I am getting an error trying to connect. So I am still looking for the next step.

Esoptron, Oct 31, 2008
  13. doug

nickp34

My E220 was working fine on my XP laptop.

After trying it on the Aspire One it was doing the same as yours. Tried in my laptop again and was having the same problem as on the Aspire One.

I ran the files on the modem called modem reset and modem setup I think it was. I also Installed the latest firmware which can be downloaded from the site below.

http://www.mobilebroadbandrocks.com/hua ... -available

Works fine now on the Aspire One.

nickp34, Nov 1, 2008
  14. doug

Blingin2Mingin

I applied the new update to mobile partner this morning, it introduces a SMS text function and a Phonebook.
    It also wiped out my profiles on installing (How hard can it be to keep the user data through an upgrade?)
    It also seems to hang/freeze more than its first incarnation.
    I'm typing this on from my home network as 3g signal too poor at home. I will try to connect from mobile partner again from work later today.

Blingin2Mingin, Nov 3, 2008
  15. doug

Blingin2Mingin

Ok posting this from work on 3UK 3g network.
    Had to change my profile to the following to get anything like usable speed.

APN >> Static >> 3internet (it was previously three.co.uk)

Username >> three

Password >> three

Authentication Protocol >> CHAP (It was previously PAP)

Seems to be working fine now. As an aside there also seems no need now to eject/unmount the usb drive part of the stick before launching the Mobile Partner software.

Blingin2Mingin, Nov 3, 2008
  16. doug

NeilB

Perhaps I should have mentioned that my E220 has been upgraded from 3.5Gb to 7.2Gb connect speed and is on the latest firmware from the Huawei website.
    Maybe this is why I just plugged mine in and it worked?

NeilB, Nov 4, 2008
  17. doug

egutshall

Has anyone gotten this to work with Verizon USB720?

egutshall, Nov 20, 2008
Ask a Question