Mobile phone as modem

Discussion in 'Linux' started by larkim, Jun 9, 2009.

1. larkim

larkim

Just thought I would post a mild success story I had last night.

I plugged in my (battered and bruised) Sony Ericsson k750i with the usb cable and the AAO properly detected the storage card, but wasn't (according to dmesg) detecting the phone's modem capabilities.

I trawled google for a while and came up with http://wosten.blogspot.com/2008/08/usb- ... e-one.html

This did the trick instantly - adding the cdc-acm modules allowed the AAO to recognise the phone as a modem, and then I used gnome-ppp (or wvdial) to connect to Virgin's GPRS service. Not fast, but certainly useful in some circumstances. Web browsing and email access worked just fine (and yes, I had turned off the wifi in advance, so it was defininely using the modem!)

At 30p per day for access (which I may only use a couple of times a month) that's a really handy thing to be able to do.

Next is to try to get bluez running and see if I can use the k750i as a modem over bluetooth instead.

Hope this helps someone!

Matt

larkim, Jun 9, 2009
  2. larkim

Darryl

Good Link,
    It worked for my S Ericcson w810i which the one wouldnt detect as a modem. All i need now is the £7.50 unlimited internet GPRS bolt on...
    :lol:

Darryl, Jun 10, 2009
  3. larkim

larkim

Excellent news - I now have it working over bluetooth as well.

Installed the bluez apps from the link in the other recent email and paired the phone.

But that wasn't working as it wasn't detecting the phone had a modem over bluetooth.

Trawled google again, and came up with http://www.hanscees.com/bluezhowto.html

Section 6.3 looked promising....

ran sdptool --search --bdaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx DUN which reported that the phone had modem capabilities

Then bound a tty port to it as described, and symlinked as described to the /dev/modem

An lo and behold gnome-ppp worked first time!

(Pats self on the back!)

Cheers!

Matt

larkim, Jun 10, 2009
Ask a Question