Moblin 2.0 Beta (Completely new interface!)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sertse, May 20, 2009.

1. sertse

cybershrike

Huh, don't know if this is unhappy coincidence or what but I had to reinstall UNR to get everything back up and running, and I no longer seem to have network connections...at all. I've just tried UNR, Moblin and Linpus and neither can connect over wired/wireless network, buggery.

Edit: Fixed wireless in Ubuntu at least, seems DHCP isn't working for me at all for some bizarre reason (I'm at work, where I've tried two different routers) but specifying an IP worked a-ok

Edit: Scrap that as well, I had two networks fail on me at the same time.

cybershrike, May 21, 2009
  2. sertse

pettersson

Hi there,

I got a Aspire One D150 for my birthday and want to try Moblin (it looks gorgeous). After creating a bootable USB Image, it stops at the boot process with the following error message:

"Couldn't find root filesystem. Exiting to shell. Create symlink /dev/root".

Maybe anyone has an idea on how to fix that (or what the problem is at all), I am rather unfamiliar with the linux boot process.

Thanks for any help
    .pettersson

pettersson, May 21, 2009
  3. sertse

cybershrike

How did you create the bootable image?

4. sertse

pettersson

Hi,

I used "unetbootin" to create the image on a 2gb usb stick. I get through the first boot menu (unetbootin i guess, only one menu item to select) and then I get to the Moblin boot menu. Selecting "boot" it starts to boot and halts at the error message I posted earlier.

Thanks in advance
    .pettersson

pettersson, May 21, 2009
  5. sertse

monolog

I downloaded the image but creating the boot usb didn't work with dd. It worked with image-write anyway.

Fast boot, as fast as Linpus. Sound works, webcam works. Wifi works (but wifi led doesn't ?). No flash plugin installed, no openoffice.
    Didn't check SD car readers.

I like the interface, it is clean and easy to use, thinking about installing it on the hard drive.

monolog, May 21, 2009
  6. sertse

cybershrike

Hm, I actually get a slower boot than Ubuntu from my HDD which is a bit odd.

@pettersson: did you use unetbootin in windows or linux? It might not matter too much. When you get the message try unplugging, then replugging your USB drive, hit return, should load a shell. When you're in the shell hit control + d to come out and it might boot. Thats from a bug ticket for Sugar but could work.

I'd suggest rerunning unetbootin though.

7. sertse

pettersson

Hi cybershrike,

I ran unetbootin under windows (will try again) and will try your hints as soon as I am at home again (currently at work)

thanks a lot for your help,
    .pettersson

pettersson, May 21, 2009
  8. sertse

itres

itres, May 21, 2009
  9. sertse

cybershrike

Ah hah, I think I've figured out how to add it to UNR's grub now. I'll test and post the relevant lines for anyone else trying to get around it.

10. sertse

jango

Does anyone now how access Moblin settings?

jango, May 21, 2009
  11. sertse

cybershrike

Which ones?

Finally got it booting (phew), here's what to add:

title Moblin
    configfile (hd0,x)/boot/grub/grub.conf

Where x is your partition number. When you boot it'll take you to Ubuntu's GRUB, then select Moblin and you'll be taken to Moblin's grub, choose moblin. If it gives you error 23 edit the grub command and remove the vga=current from the end, that fixed it for me.

12. sertse

pettersson

Hi there,

after rewriting the image to the usb disk using 'Disk Imager' i got it running :) Still need to figure some stuff out (WLAN currently not working), but that's a starting point.

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

regards,
    .pettersson

pettersson, May 21, 2009
  13. sertse

cybershrike

My WLAN was working when I installed it yesterday, but a fresh install today and it seems to have disappeared off. Ethernet works but no wireless.

14. sertse

Lenoig

Does anyone know how to create a wired connection? I'm behind a DHCP server and I need to use the same IP address as on my desktop to get it to work....but I can't find a way to create a wired connection.

Lenoig, May 21, 2009
  15. sertse

cybershrike

Don't think it's even possible to at the moment, there's no /etc/network/interfaces file to edit. Not sure where it's connman is storing it's config.

16. sertse

STKD

Look forward to the day the 3G/USB Huawei modems work with this one. Definitely worth watching.

STKD, May 22, 2009
  17. sertse

itres

itres, May 23, 2009
  18. sertse

Andysan

Hi all,

First impressions are that this is very nice to look at and very snappy too. My concern is that as much as i love the 2.0 features, will non-web based apps still run as well as on a standard Fedora desktop?

Also, can anyone find the power on/off option anywhere, and why cant i right click in the browser?

Great work though Moblin team, cool stuff.

Andysan, May 23, 2009
  19. sertse

cybershrike

The browser does need a fair bit more work to bring it up to spec, I'm surprised they didn't just throw a wrapper up around a full featured version of firefox with the interface tweaks, but ho hum!

Power off = sudo shutdown or hit the power button, they don't have a user interface for it yet

I'd highly recommend everyone go into the package sources (in applications -> settings -> software sources) and enable the development packages. Bit more bleeding edge so YMMV but since installing them I've had much better performance and the network utility has been a bit more stable.

cybershrike, May 24, 2009
  20. sertse

jango

What about translations ???

jango, May 24, 2009
Ask a Question