Moblin 2.0 Beta (Completely new interface!)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sertse, May 20, 2009.

1. sertse

cybershrike

Cracking, they actually have Minefield/Firefox pre-installed, just not as the default browser. You can launch it from terminal by typing firefox.

Makes it a bit more appealing having a full web browser! Can't get the media player working at all though which is a bit of an odd one.

cybershrike, May 24, 2009
  2. sertse

Andysan

I was suprised by previous Moblin releases, i mean the UI was pretty miserable but the Moblin team have really outdone themselves. With no Jolicloud release in sight for the moment, this looks to be a definitive netbook OS. Has anyone tried running standard Fedora packages yet please? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Andysan, May 24, 2009
  3. sertse

itres

I haven't tried installing fedora packages because I don't know which repositories should be used and for which version.
    I saw that SuSE is already providing moblin 2 beta ui (http://news.opensuse.org/2009/05/19/mob ... -opensuse/).
    I'd like to see moblin 2 ui fedora packages, for some it would not be very useful as you would loose all the excellent netbook optimization done by the moblin team but if you like the ui and would still like to have a full blown os then it would still be nice.
    IMHO, having repositories that contains all kinds of apps is a must, people are not using their netbooks only for chating and web browser or am I wrong?

grtz

itres, May 24, 2009
  4. sertse

cybershrike

I imagine more software will slowly come, but I don't think existing fed packages can be used just yet in case they get any dependency clashes

cybershrike, May 24, 2009
  5. sertse

Andysan

I'd love to install this alongside Intrepid but only have an 8GB SSD - anyone have any idea on how difficult this is and how much space this OS requires please?

Cheers.

Andysan, May 24, 2009
  6. sertse

meine

hi there!

i tried Moblin on USB and think it is great! different but very nice look & feel, rather fast and responsive although startup is not yet under 5 secs (or is it when installed?). the v2 live image is IMO pointed at leasure and not so much on using the AA1 for work (i like the AA1 when travelling by train to an appointment, reading, writing and saving for my M$-boundend colleagues) maybe i'll have to discover the repository options...

last night i searched for the shutdown button but discovered that on a fast and minimalist distro we don't need one. the hardware-button does the same.

when Moblin comes with a more definitive version it is defenitively my choice.

wannahaves
    . openoffice
    . mail app like sylpheed

improvements
    . touchpad scrolling - seems not to work the same in all apps...

utopia
    . keep the AA1 running on less than half a battery

other
    . what in the world is this pasteboard for? is it a sort of endless clipboard?

meine

meine, May 24, 2009
  7. sertse

hgh9mrp

Ran across an article today about Linpus adopting Mobilin 2.0:
    http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2009-05-27-033-35-OS-SW-RL

I had previously downloaded Moblin 2.0 Beta, installed and booted it from a USB stick just to see what it was like. I did not spend a whole lot of time with it, but everything seem to work except the wireless LED. I think the interface is a big improvement, but don't get me wrong - I actually liked the installed version of Linpus. I look forward to installing a finished Moblin 2.0 RC on my ZG5.

Live long, prosper, and have fun.

hgh9mrp, May 28, 2009
  8. sertse

cybershrike

I was going to post the exact same link! It'll be great having Moblin on top of Linpus, which is already mighty fast on my AA1

cybershrike, May 28, 2009
  9. sertse

jango

I can get my wireless to work... :(

jango, May 29, 2009
  10. sertse

itres

You can or you can't?

itres, May 29, 2009
  11. sertse

jango

Sorry, i cant.... :D

p.s. sorry my english, im portuguese...

jango, May 29, 2009
  12. sertse

mzc

i think the trend is moblin v2 being studied by other distros for their netbook gui's, like Linpus which is already launching their's in the upcoming Computex. I hope this (moblin v2.0) will be considered for karmic koala.

mzc, May 31, 2009
  13. sertse

SnorreSelmer

I just installed MobLin 2.0b on my AAO to see what improvements I'll get through yum. I learned from other people asking, that running distros from a memory-stick tends not to give the full experience. After adding the developer-repository I had 221 packages to update.

SnorreSelmer, May 31, 2009
  14. sertse

STKD

The day I can use a Huawei/3/3G usb modem as with most other distro's or operating systems is the day I move Moblin onto my hard drive.

STKD, Jun 2, 2009
  15. sertse

csmo

It looks like a more recent version now is available; http://moblin.org/downloads

Anyone tried the latest version 20090529 yet and are there any significant improvements?

csmo, Jun 4, 2009
  16. sertse

Mutant

Installed it last night on my stock AAO (8GB, 512MB); created a section partition on my SSD, and let Moblin replace my gOS install.

Booted first time no probs, saw my AP and let me connect. I've got a 16GB SD in the LHS and it recognises it without problems.

Sleeps on its own when the lid is closed, upon wake up reconnects to my AP without problems.

Downloaded Firefox 3 and OO using their installed package manager.

Not too many downsides to report. Boots quickly, only issue is their grub wiped out / overrided my UNR grub so I can't reboot into Ubuntu anylonger.

Not too fussed about that at present.

Mutant, Jun 4, 2009
  17. sertse

Mutant

Today my Moblin install wanted to update itself; 187 modules, took about 300MB of disk space at its peak and a little over three hours to complete. After reboot it seemed to only take up an additional 100MB of disk space.

Not sure how much of a step forward this was; their launcher seems a little unstable now. Clicking on tweets, for example, now blows away all other apps running in other zones, and doesn't even hit the web page the tweet referenced.

Alt tab seems a little messed up as well, not letting you focus on the app you'd like.

Other than that this was a non event, as in my Aspire reboots fine, nothing too unstable about the upgrade.

Mutant, Jun 5, 2009
  18. sertse

pettersson

Hi,

i am using Moblin on my new AAO D150 and got the wireless almost to work. I can connect to my WLAN but it disconnects a few seconds after the connection is established. It might have to do with DHCP, but i can't figure out how to change the ip settings in Moblin. Maybe some of you guys have some hints or tips for me.

regards,
    .pettersson

pettersson, Jun 7, 2009
  19. sertse

cybershrike

Well when I was playing with it I never found a way to get it working. I had problems getting it to connect to some wireless networks (as in, they wouldn't show at all), and there was no options for manually specifying connection settings. Not tried any of the latest development packages though, so might fire it up and have a look later.

cybershrike, Jun 8, 2009
  20. sertse

itres

I have a hidden wlan and I manage to get a connection via the connection manager just by providing the SSID.

Grtz

itres, Jun 8, 2009
Ask a Question