Moblin 2.0 Beta (Completely new interface!)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sertse, May 20, 2009.

1. sertse

cybershrike

Ah, see this isn't hidden, it just doesn't seem to find it at all.

cybershrike, Jun 8, 2009
  2. sertse

itres

Have you tried to specify the SSID of your network via the add connection button (or whatever the caption is)?
    May be it can't see it but if you force it to detect it by providing the SSID ...

Grtz

itres, Jun 8, 2009
  3. sertse

cybershrike

Yeah, tried it a few times and it didn't seem to want to play ball. I'm probably going to end up overwriting it with something else until it's a little less buggy.

cybershrike, Jun 8, 2009
  4. sertse

Mutant

They just pushed out another update today; I wasn't paying too much attention but it was nine files, not sure how large. Installed in about twenty minutes, and they seem to have reworked their launcher a great deal. At least its far more stable and responsive.

Maybe let it update itself and see if that fixes things?

Mutant, Jun 9, 2009
  5. sertse

cybershrike

Installed the latest updates and it seems to work pretty well now

cybershrike, Jun 10, 2009
  6. sertse

DunklerProphet

does anyone know how to disable the autologin and add some more user?

i didn't mange too edit the gdm settings, hope some of you got an solution

DunklerProphet, Jun 22, 2009
  7. sertse

charly

It looks promising, but at this point i think its fairly useless since several of the key features are not usable. (agenda doen't sync, msn/icq missing, no playlist etc..)

what would be cool is to rip out the interface design and make it in to a gnome theme so i could use it on ubuntu... :eek:
    But i'm not sure if this is possible.

but i'm keeping an eye on this distro.

PS. Running moblin from USB did kill my bios when i didn't shut down properly

charly, Jun 23, 2009
  8. sertse

DunklerProphet

acutally, icq and msn are working, you just have to install a telepathy package with yum, it's in the repo, so just search ;) msn and icq are working fine

DunklerProphet, Jun 23, 2009
  9. sertse

charly

Ah cool, that's one down then :)

charly, Jun 23, 2009
  10. sertse

rk1314

has anyone dual booted this with windows 7/vista??
    if so, can anyone give me some pointers or direct me to places where I can learn how to do it??
    I am really interested in trying this out but i need windows for my university wifi access.

thanks and regards =)

rk1314, Jul 7, 2009
  11. sertse

libssd

My take is that it's a bit premature to be thinking of installing Moblin on a partion of a Windows HDD.
    Install Moblin to a USB or SDHC (if you have a 10" AA1) and experiment from there -- no risk, and if you don't like it, just reformat the solid state memory device.

I just installed Moblin on an 8gb USB flash drive; very easy. Boot time didn't seem any faster than any other version of Linux, although shutdown was quite quick. For me, there isn't enough "there" there to spend any significant time with Moblin at this stage of development. I found the UI weird, but different people respond differently, and I have little use for "social media" (e.g. Facebook, Twitter) which seems to be a major focus of Moblin.If you are big into these things, it may be of interest.

libssd, Jul 14, 2009
  12. sertse

c-m

I've just removed my ubuntu partition and installed Moblin - its quite restrictive but I don't need to do any heavy computing on my netbook.

I do however need MP3's etc.. to work which of course they don't due to restricted codecs.

I'm just not sure what codecs i need and how to install them for the Moblin media browser

c-m, Jul 20, 2009
  13. sertse

sevenape

i would be supremely grateful for mp3 and video codecs too :)))))

sevenape, Jul 24, 2009
  14. sertse

tomt

Using the latest live image is it possible to set a static IP address for my LAN and WiFi ??

tomt, Jul 30, 2009
  15. sertse

bcunningh

I wrote the image to my USB Flash Drive but for some reason it doesn't boot. The exact same process went off without a hitch using an Ubuntu Netbook Remix image. But the Moblin image is completely ignored at bootup.

bcunningh, Aug 17, 2009
  16. sertse

bodhi.zazen

Moblin 2.0 Beta is a failure on the AspireOne 751h (11.6")

although the distro boots fast, X failed to start.

Log in with user = moblin pw=moblin and become root with su - (password = moblin)
    or
    user= root pw = moblin
    and either enter (as root) startx or gdm

You will get a graphical interface which is hopelessly slow, it takes up to 2 minutes to change tasks. This distro recognizes the wireless card, but I never found on the graphical interface where to configure the wireless card.

I had the same problem with ubuntu UNR and I suspect it is due to incompatibility of the X driver (you need the so called xserver-xorg-video-psb psb-kernel-source with this hardware).

I did not do any further testing.

bodhi.zazen, Aug 18, 2009
  17. sertse

torchwood

made the usb stick to boot from ,it boots then just sits at a command prompt. i can type but it doesn't seem to do anything when i do, i tried user etc with no results. any ideas.? i really like the look of this distro and i know its a beta but i would think i could at leats boot into it even if the video res isn't correct. oh i have a AO751h

torchwood, Aug 23, 2009
  18. sertse

bodhi.zazen

See my post just above yours. I have the same hardware.

You have to get to a command prompt with ctrl-alt F1 or ctrl-alt-F2 , log in as root, and startx

It runs very slow on this hardware, I am not sure why.

bodhi.zazen, Aug 23, 2009
  19. sertse

JimK

I just tried the latest build on the 110L and it works great. Fast boot time, Firefox 3.5 (via YUM), and smooth full-screen video on Hulu.com (it was way too choppy using Jaunty). The only thing that didn't work quite right is the touchpad, which was way too sensitive -- that's not really an issue for me since I usually use a mouse. I really prefer the more traditional Gnome desktop, but I'm going to see if I can get used to the Moblin interface.

JimK, Aug 23, 2009
  20. sertse

torchwood

thanks bodhi.zazen that got me in. i think the main reason is is that our graphics card is not support right out of the box, which i would think would make things run slow. of course i could be wrong too. but i was reading this https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/406651 and it seemed to make sense to me too.i was going to install os x on it but again the graphics card isnt supported and i have no clue how to make it work in os x lol.

im not sure if the fix in that article would work for Moblin and i have no idea if i tried it if it would work at all, im kinda new to linux, well i haven't installed it on anything in years. if you give it a go let me know. as for me im going to report this as a bug to moblin and maybe they will fix it =). let me know if you try the fix. im not sure it's even do able in moblin, might only work in ubuntu. but its interesting that for the most part that its the graphics card in the ao751h that is giving us the issues.

torchwood, Aug 24, 2009
Ask a Question