Moblin beta

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sijmes, May 28, 2009.

1. sijmes

sijmes

I tried the Moblin beta yesterday and was quite impressed, only prob was that i had to install something dependable before I left the house,because I needed to work somewhere,I use Mandriva btw since the Ubuntu Wifi and choppy video stuff let me down. AS far as i could tell Moblin won`t let you install on a partition and greadily takes the whole disk unless anyone else has a workaround.I didnt get much time but i noticed only two messengers, non of which were MSN, so I checked through the available repo for aMSN or pidgin but found nothing. Anyone know whether other gnome packages would work and do we need rpm`s, deb`s or was there a way of adding an extended repository that I didnt know about...?

Btw for the speed freaks the last Moblin beta booted faster than linpus lite.....

sijmes, May 28, 2009
  2. sijmes

itres

itres, May 28, 2009
  3. sijmes

RockDoctor

There's at least one way to place Moblin on an existing partition - mounting the filesystem and copying each directory in the Moblin root to an empty ext2 or ext3-formatted partition, then fixing up grub/grub.conf or grub/menu.lst (whichever you happen to have) in the boot partition to point to the Moblin kernel in /dev/sda8/boot. It's convoluted, it's probably not worth most people's effort, but I've done it anyway.

Moblin is like Linpus in one important way - using another distro's rpms can mess things up.

RockDoctor, May 28, 2009
  4. sijmes

cybershrike

There should be an option in the installer that says "Manual partitioning" where you can specify partitions. I just dumped it into an ext3 partition and let it reformat it.

cybershrike, May 28, 2009
  5. sijmes

itres

I think you are right if I recall it I've installed moblin next to ubuntu (in another partition). The actual challenge was to restore ubuntu grub and add moblin as an option. The alpha versions of moblin didn't allow that (the whole hard drive was wiped out).

itres, May 29, 2009
  6. sijmes

cybershrike

Oh tell me about it, the only way to do it is to change where the moblin installer puts the boot loader (from the default of MBR, to the partition itself), then put Moblin into Ubuntu's GRUB. But not with the exact boot string that the Moblin GRUB uses, because that'd be too simple!

cybershrike, May 29, 2009
Ask a Question