More Workspaces

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Ace_Rimmer, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Ace_Rimmer

Ace_Rimmer

One of my favorite Linux features is multiple workspaces. Go into Settings / Workspaces Settings and you can set up as many "desktops" as you want, and you can switch among them using <ctrl><alt><right or left cursor> or the mouse/trackpad scroll wheel or with the switcher applet installed on the panel (see below). On my Ubuntu laptop I typically have it set to six workspaces so I can do multiple tasks without dealing with overlapping windows.

On my AAO I set the number to four, and then added the workspace switcher to the panel using the "xfce4-panel -a" command. Only trouble is, that takes up quite a bit of panel space. Today I discovered that <alt><ins> adds workspaces and <alt><del> removes them. Wow! Now I can have the benefit of multiple workspaces when I need them and also have the switcher applet on my panel without taking up a lot of panel room all the time.

A small feature, I admit, but a "cool" one in my opinion. Now I gotta try this on Ubuntu.

One disclaimer: I am using the xfce desktop, so I don't know for sure that this will work with the stock Acer desktop. If anyone tries it, please post to let us know.

Ace_Rimmer, Oct 4, 2008
  2. Ace_Rimmer

rbil

Works! Very cool indeed. Thanks for finding this out and posting it.

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 4, 2008
  3. Ace_Rimmer

localhero

'<alt><ins> adds workspaces and <alt><del> removes"
    just multiples my playground! thank you!

localhero, Nov 7, 2008
  4. Ace_Rimmer

pienjo

There is a way to shoe-horn around that, but it's a bit hairy thanks to the curious restrictions Acer added to xfce4:

1. Open a file browser window[/*:m:91d2nfgb]
    2. Select the address bar, and enter to "/mnt/home/.config (This directory is usually hidden, so you''ll have to enter it manually)[/*:m:91d2nfgb]
    3. Enter the "xfce4" subdirectory[/*:m:91d2nfgb]
    4. Enter the "panel" subdirectory[/*:m:91d2nfgb]
    5. Double-click the file whose name starts with pager-. The exact name of that file varies, since "xfce4-panel -a" generates it semi-randomly, but there should be only one there.[/*:m:91d2nfgb]
    6. Change the line reading "rows=1" so that it reads "rows=2", and save[/*:m:91d2nfgb]

Now for the tricky bit. Because we're not doing this the way xfce4 designed it to be done (thanks to Acer), xfce4-panel needs to be restarted. However, a simple reboot won't solve this; xfce4-panel will save its current configuration to disk, overriding the changes we just made, so we'll have to do it the rude way:

1. Press Alt-F2. At the prompt, enter
      Code:
      killall xfce4-panel
      The panel should now disappear.[/*:m:91d2nfgb]
    2. Press Alt-F2. At the prompt, enter
      Code:
      xfce4-panel
      The panel should now be back.[/*:m:91d2nfgb]

The result of this is that those workspaces now take up a lot less space in your status bar, since they're now stacked in two rows. This means that the default of 4 workspaces take up exactly as much space as a single workspace before, while still being big enough to be usuable. A second result is that navigating those workspaces by keyboard becomes slightly less awkward; you can browse through them using CTRL+ALT+cursor keys.

Hope this helps. See the attached screenshot for an example.

pienjo, Nov 8, 2008
  5. Ace_Rimmer

markh

Brilliant, thank you

markh, Nov 8, 2008
Ask a Question