Mounting a NAS drive

Discussion in 'Linux' started by joe2, Dec 31, 2008.

1. joe2

joe2

Hi,
    I have been trying to mount a NAS drive using this... sudo mount -t cifs //[nas IP]/[name of shared folder on drive] /mnt/home/[name on shared folder on AAO]. It then asks me for a password but I don't know which password it wants. Can anyone shed any light on it?

joe2, Dec 31, 2008
  2. joe2

daldred

It's unlikly to be a password on the One, since you don't (unless you've chagned something) need a password to use sudo. Is there a user/password combination set up on your NAS drive or on the NAS directory you're trying to address?

If there is I think you need to add the options '-o user=username pass=password' after the '-t cifs' (making the obvious substitutions), but I may be wrong!

daldred, Dec 31, 2008
  3. joe2

joe2

Thanxs for the response but i have the answer, I installed "dolphin" from package manager and it is FANTASTIC it not only sees my NAS drive but also every other computer on my network including laptops!

joe2, Jan 1, 2009
  4. joe2

DPGray

Did you mange to locate a Linpus compatible version of Dolphin?

Where as I have been looking without success..:O(

Many thanks in anticipation. David

DPGray, Jun 23, 2009
  5. joe2

DonQuichote

There are two things that can require a password: sudo and your NAS device. If sudo requests a password, it shows something like:
    Code:
    [sudo] password for username:
    This means that you will (usually) have to enter your netbook user's password. If sudo is not configured that way, you will have to enter root's password. But that would be against the beauty of sudo: that you can grant users root access without giving away root's password or even without giving root a password at all. From what I can recall about Linpus (I threw it away after 2 hours), the root user is used for everything. So that would make just one password for all purposes.

Or it could be the NAS device that asks for a password. If you do not know that one, I cannot help you.

DonQuichote, Jun 23, 2009
Ask a Question