Mouse replacement

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by batman31, Aug 9, 2008.

1. batman31

batman31

Hello new friends..

Just got my new aspire one last night (120gb, 1gb RAM (expansion 1 GB RAM on the way), xp) and the one thing I cant stand is the mouse. More so the left and right click buttons feel terrible. Is there any way to replace these buttons, givem a softer feel (physical adjustment or replacement), or is it just my unit?

Thanks and glad to be joining the forums!

Sal

batman31, Aug 9, 2008
  2. batman31

Sid

Try tapping the pad for a left click and ctrl tap for a right click.

Sid, Aug 9, 2008
  3. batman31

lotus49

I agree that they don't feel at all good. The resistance is much too strong and they make an annoyingly loud click.

However, I don't normally use the left button at all on touchpads as I tap instead. For right clicking it would be nice to be able to do a two finger tap like I can on my MacBook Pro as I never took to ctrl-tapping. Presumably this would require support from the driver that isn't currently there. I think I shall look into this when play.com eventually pull their fingers out and send me the One I ordered from them 6 weeks ago :( .

lotus49, Aug 10, 2008
  4. batman31

enildeR

I bought a Logitech VX nano wireless mouse because of how I do not like the touch pad on the One.
    Might try that unless you can deal with the finger tap/cntl+finger tap.

enildeR, Aug 11, 2008
  5. batman31

Davidcowling

i have a VX nano

they are the nuts!

Davidcowling, Aug 14, 2008
  6. batman31

2manydjs

I bought a Logitech V120 (SGP$25 (~€12), harvey norman). Although I had to replace the first piece, I'm very happy with the second! It's very small and you can wrap the cord around it and click the the cable to the bottom. Perfect to bring anywhere. The white one matches my white Acer perfectly (some material as the cover) and I even started to use it with my MacBook Pro. Available in a few colors. Would highly recommend to any laptop user.
    [attachment=1:20zv07hs]V120LogitechV120LaserMouseforNotebooks2.jpg[/attachment:20zv07hs][attachment=0:20zv07hs]V120LogitechV120LaserMouseforNotebooks3.jpg[/attachment:20zv07hs]

2manydjs, Aug 15, 2008
  7. batman31

Davidcowling

my flatmate has a black one..

its a nice mouse, but too small for my hands :(

Davidcowling, Aug 15, 2008
  8. batman31

2manydjs

I wonder how you cope with the Aspire One and its keyboard. Taking a tiny laptop and adding a big mouse for on the road doesn't make sense to me. This mouse is designed for portability, just like the One.

2manydjs, Aug 29, 2008
  9. batman31

jackluo923

You can replace the SMT switch on the PCB with some nicer ones. eg. Thinkpad replacement.

jackluo923, Aug 29, 2008
  10. batman31

gordon

The windows driver for the touchpad has a feature that allows you to map taps in corners of the pad to specific functions/keys. I have top right corner right click and top left corner middle click.

gordon, Aug 30, 2008
  11. batman31

echundotcom

Did you notice that this trackpad has pseudo multi touch capabilities? I accidentally found out that when you place two fingers on it, and move them away from one another, that in Windows XP you zoom in (works on web browsers, MS Office...), and vice-versa when you move the two fingers closer to one another. Kewl! :D

I found that after heavy usage of the track pad, that my finger felt a little sore. Being a Palm user, I placed a screen protector on the trackpad area, and found that it's a lot better on my finger, and still just as responsive.

echundotcom, Sep 13, 2008
  12. batman31

Angel

props to gorden

In windows you can Cntrl Panl -> Mouse -> Device Settings -> Settings... -> Tapping -> Tap Zones and it map different part of the pad to things like: left double click, right click, middle button click and even launch programs from various zones. Saves having to use the keys. Alt., get a targus mini mouse - they're grouse!

That said, I'll blow anyone who posts a method outlining how to install a different button beneath the two pad keys to give it a softer landing and less of a cheap, awful noise...

Angel

Angel, Sep 14, 2008
  13. batman31

karona

'Out of the Box' the AAOne touchpad has "Right-Click" mapped to the bottom right corner.

Keith

karona, Sep 14, 2008
  14. batman31

h0dges

That's nuts!! How did i not notice that?

Cheers, good tip ;)

h0dges, Sep 14, 2008
  15. batman31

elBradford

I performed the bluetooth mod and got a Microsoft 5000 BT mouse for $20. Great little mouse I can pull out for extended sessions. But really, though I hated the mouse trackpad more than anything else about the AAO, I'm kind of used to it. I still have a hard time finding the buttons sometimes when its dark.

elBradford, Sep 14, 2008
  16. batman31

Angel

sorry if it's a little of topic, but what does it mean when I try to use the trackpad and instead of the cursor moving, I see what looks like a motionless, grey whirlpool on my screen and if I move my finger around I see a box in the tool bar with a blue arrow that moves around according to the speed of my finger?

Angel, Sep 15, 2008
  17. batman31

kgingeri

Yup, and middle click is top right :p

kgingeri, Sep 21, 2008
  18. batman31

protovision

The grey whirlpool means your in scroll mode, so dragging at that point is the same as using a mouse wheel.

protovision, Oct 3, 2008
Ask a Question