Move Firefox3 cache to SDHC card

Discussion in 'Windows' started by reglof, Jan 18, 2009.

1. reglof

reglof

Hi,
    in order to save my SDD and still use FF3 cache, I would like to move the browser cache to an SD or SDHC card.
    Is this possible in the first place? While looking through FF3 preferences I could not find an obvious way to do so.
    Does anybody have an idea how to do it?

One thing would be to get Portable-FF3 from http://www.PortableApps.com and run FF3 completely from the SDHC assuming that it would keep its cache there as well.

Any other ideas?

reglof, Jan 18, 2009
  2. reglof

jackluo923

If you're just browsing the web with the AAO with the SSD drive, that SSD will wear out 25 years from now (if the chip doesn't die due to other reasons). So you're not exactly benefiting from anything by moving firefox cache to SDHC card.

anyways, here are the steps to change the cache file location
    1. type about:config into the firefox navigation bar and hit enter
    f2.find the browser.cache.disk.parent_directory, then right click and select modify, then enter your new directory.

jackluo923, Jan 18, 2009
  3. reglof

reglof

Why is everybody making such a big fuzz out of it? There are so many mods to safe SDD live that I started to get paranoid.

reglof, Jan 18, 2009
  4. reglof

jackluo923

Well, some poeple are afraid their SSD might die on them after 5-10 years of extremely heavy SSD ussage. If you'll be upgrading to a new laptop in 10-25 years, you'll never need to worry about the SSD wearing out with normal websurfing activities.

Besides, most of the complaints about the SSD on the AAO is about the speed issues, not the process of wearing the SSD down.

jackluo923, Jan 18, 2009
Ask a Question