MULTI TOUCH pad -- one cool feature

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by unkn0vvn_al, Aug 13, 2008.

1. unkn0vvn_al

midgetdiablo

Bump

midgetdiablo, Aug 18, 2008
  2. unkn0vvn_al

unkn0vvn_al

midgetdiablo:

which model do you have?

unkn0vvn_al, Aug 18, 2008
  3. unkn0vvn_al

midgetdiablo

I have the AOA-150-ABb. It's Windows XP. Why won't you just explain how to get multi-touch....

midgetdiablo, Aug 19, 2008
  4. unkn0vvn_al

palingenesis

i think it does work on linux and depending on the track, multi touch should work. I have read things on the web of people getting two finger scrolling and pinching working on Ubuntu and stuff i cant figure it out on Linpus

palingenesis, Aug 19, 2008
  5. unkn0vvn_al

unkn0vvn_al

okay Mister here's how to get to Synaptics settings:

Go to CONTROL PANEL > choose MOUSE > under MOUSE Properties click on DEVICE SETTINGS > Highlight your SYNAPTIC TOUCHPAD and click SETTINGS > a new window will pop out and from the SYNAPTICS properties, click the PLUS SIGN next to POINTER MOTION and then you will see the PINCH SETTINGS.

Hope this helps you find it!

unkn0vvn_al, Aug 19, 2008
  6. unkn0vvn_al

palingenesis

that's great and all but what i think most of us are trying to figure out is if the multitouch features will work on the default A1 linux OS and how to get them to work on the linux OS

palingenesis, Aug 19, 2008
  7. unkn0vvn_al

Syco54645

I have all but gone to circuit city to buy my One. If it has multi touch in the linux version that that will make me go out and get it right now. I could try to get it enabled (been using linux for 6 years now) but I do not want to get it just on the off chance that it may have it... Maybe I will...

Syco54645, Aug 19, 2008
  8. unkn0vvn_al

Ceno

my two cents:

if you run

$synclient -m 100

in the terminal, you'll be presented with real-time information coming out of the touchpad.
    x y are obviously the x,y coordinates of where your finger is
    z is the pressure applied
    f is the number of fingers
    w is the width of the finger

And no matter how much fingers you put on the touchpad, the f will always be at 1, meaning it only detects one finger and no multi-touch.
    My question is, is this hardware related or a different driver for the touchpad will to the trick?
    Because if it's just driver, we can easily put together a program for enabling multi touch features, like this one http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opens ... -touchpad/

Ceno, Aug 20, 2008
  9. unkn0vvn_al

Syco54645

Ok, so I went to circuit city and bought my 8gig One and am sitting on the porch right now typing this message. From what I have read on the driver that was referred in this post, it does not support multi touch because the feature is simply not enabled. If this is the same touchpad as on the 120 gig version then it should be possible with a driver update. I will need to check around. As a side note, linpus is pretty good, but I miss my debian based distros. I will post with my findings about what driver is loaded for the touch pad (unless someone has already stated that then I have missed it, if so, please direct me to said information).

-Syco54645

Edit: I was making a post and my screen went blank... maybe it updated the display drivers and that caused a crash. it is fine now after a hard power down, hope it was nothing else majour

At any rate, here is what I have found.
    I found an app called tpconfig. It is made for the synaptics touchpads so I installed it on here and it did reported that there was no synaptics touchpads found. So either we do not have a synaptics ad or the driver just isnt up to date and we have a really bleeding edge touchpad. http://www.compass.com/synaptics/
    It is a very old driver (from 2002). I also did an lsmod and it shows just a generic driver, if any at all.

[user@localhost ~]$ lsmod | grep mouse
    psmouse 13320 0

So take that for what it is worth. I am going to eat and watch a movie so I will mess with it later.

-Syco54645

Syco54645, Aug 20, 2008
  10. unkn0vvn_al

Ceno

The driver is synaptics, you can see it in /etc/X11/xorg.conf , it's the third or so section. Don't know what version of the driver it is.

Tried enabling the two finger scroll as descbribed in the arch linux wiki http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics , but it didn't work.

If there's a more recent driver, how do you install it though?

Ceno, Aug 20, 2008
  11. unkn0vvn_al

Syco54645

I did not check in xorg.conf. I figured that since lsmod would show what the kernel had initialized that would suffice. I will look into it more after this movie.

Syco54645, Aug 20, 2008
  12. unkn0vvn_al

midgetdiablo

I've looked in this section but I don't see any settings for enabling pinching. I'm using the same synaptics driver you're using. Did you modify anything?

midgetdiablo, Aug 20, 2008
  13. unkn0vvn_al

unkn0vvn_al

then you might want to try to update the driver...

there is drivers section under Software-Windows forum.. check it out if they have a different one than what you got now.

unkn0vvn_al, Aug 21, 2008
  14. unkn0vvn_al

kevinc628

kevinc628, Aug 21, 2008
  15. unkn0vvn_al

FireSoul

any linpus news ?

FireSoul, Aug 21, 2008
  16. unkn0vvn_al

midgetdiablo

Wow, I can't believe this actually works! Thanks so much, Kevin!

midgetdiablo, Aug 21, 2008
  17. unkn0vvn_al

palingenesis

i am staring to think that this feature does not work on linpus

palingenesis, Aug 21, 2008
  18. unkn0vvn_al

Kreso

I cant figure out how to scroll vertically with multitouch... can it? Only zoom in/out.
    If nor, is there a way to configure it (by some other program etc) to scroll with, perhaps some button+touchpad (on whole area)? It's kinda hard to hit the scrolling area, especially because the buttons are at the same level as touchpad.

Kreso, Aug 22, 2008
  19. unkn0vvn_al

Syco54645

for what it is worth the touchpad supports middle and right clicking with a tap.
    the middle is about 1/8 inch in from the right on top and the right is the same place just at the bottom. it takes some time to get used to, but it work. pretty neat eh
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D <--- done with the tap for middle click

Syco54645, Aug 22, 2008
  20. unkn0vvn_al

snowlord

Fantastic! Thanks! I middle-clicked a couple of times by mistake once and tried to find out how I did it but never succeeded. Thanks again!

snowlord, Aug 22, 2008
Ask a Question