Multiple Power Supply Failure

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by GaryJ73167, Aug 3, 2009.

1. GaryJ73167

GaryJ73167

Hello All,

I live in the U.S. and I have been a proud owner of an Acer Aspire 5520-5912 laptop for about 2 years now. the laptop has been great. For whatever my needs are, it gets them done in a timely fashion, and, I really have no complaints.

Except for 1, and, I wish it was a minor complaint.

For some reason, this laptop keeps going through power supplies. It has (in the 2 years that I've owned it) burned out 2 original Acer power supplies, and, one universal. I am on my 4th power supply now, so, you can see my concern.

I work in the IT field and know my way around computers (and have for the past 10 years). I have never seen anything like this before.

I've seen cases were a power supply can ruin a laptop, but, never the other way around. I also want to add that I'm not using this laptop in the same power outlet all of the time. I have used it all over my house, in my friends house, in my neighbor's house, all giving me the same result. A useless power supply.

Is there anyone out there that can shed some light on this situation? can a faulty laptop continue to work while shorting out power supplies? I have no ideas at all at this point.

For the amount of money that i've spent on power supplies, I cant help but feel that I could have "almost" purchased a new laptop by now.

Thank you in advance for any replies

GaryJ73167, Aug 3, 2009
  2. GaryJ73167

jerryt

Scientific method

Make an adapter cable between the charger and computer so you can measure amperage.

Then see if you can determine if the computer or battery is drawing to much amperage.

My guess, it is your battery.

jerryt, Aug 4, 2009
Ask a Question