Multiuser interface?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by edraven, Aug 15, 2008.

1. edraven

edraven

Is it possible to get linpus to ask which user you are before logging into the default desktop? I'd like to have multiple users on this machine, each with their own mail/IM settings, similar to how XP does it.

edraven, Aug 15, 2008
  2. edraven

Sid

Yes, but I cannot remember the thread, you will have to search, sorry.

Sid, Aug 15, 2008
  3. edraven

edraven

I've searched, and also flipped through all 13 pages of the forum looking at subject lines that could apply and I'm not seeing it. If you recall the thread, I'd appreciate it!

edraven, Aug 15, 2008
  4. edraven

Sid

Sid, Aug 15, 2008
  5. edraven

edraven

Thanks. The instructions in that thread work for the most part, but if I log in as any user besides "user", the wifi light never comes on. I've tried toggling the button on the front/right of the one, but the light never comes on, and trying to configure networking by going into settings and hitting network never has anything come up.

edraven, Aug 16, 2008
  6. edraven

DaiLaughing

The same here. The gdm edit of rc.S was simple and effective but I can't create a new user and have it work. I'm guessing that the new user lacks somesettings needed for the linpus/acer stuff to work. The settings applets don't work so short of editing config files on a distro I don't know I'm stumped.

If anyone knows how to create a new user which works then help us both out:)

DaiLaughing, Aug 23, 2008
  7. edraven

Fanjita

You can get some of the way further by making your new users members of the same groups as 'user'.

Log in as 'user', and type 'groups' in a console. This tells you which groups you need - should be wheel and user.

Now edit /etc/group, and add your username(s) to the end of the lines for those groups.

That should get you further along, it seems to help enable some of the missing functions (e.g. the power off button).

I have just about given up getting a fully working multi-user config in Linpus though - time to try a gentoo install.

Fanjita, Aug 24, 2008
  8. edraven

edraven

Adding my username to /etc/groups at the end of the wheel and user lines helped a lot. I now have internet access on that username. Now it's complaining that I have no permission to /dev/dsp (sound). Checking out the permissions on /dev/dsp, it's owned by user in group root. Now I suspect I could just change the group on /dev/dsp to user or wheel, and that may fix it, but it looks like there's a ton of files owned by user that don't have a group of user or wheel. I could probably write a script to change group on all the files like this, but I'll admit, I'm not sure what would happen. Could a Linux guru advise?

edraven, Aug 27, 2008
  9. edraven

Grim Squeaker

Small sidewarning: if you use the Ones update function, the settingsfiles will be restored to their old state (why Acer, why !).
    It will not throw away the new user though.

Grim Squeaker, Aug 27, 2008
  10. edraven

jukk

That sounds very stupid of Acer. I can live with most things with the AA1, but this sucks.

jukk, Aug 27, 2008
  11. edraven

edraven

Well here's a dirty, ugly hack to get sound working. In /etc/groups, add your new username to the end of the "root" line. :shock:

edraven, Aug 28, 2008
  12. edraven

scottro

The solution for sound is to add the following to /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms

Towards the top, where devices are defined

<sound>=/dev/dsp* /dev/snd/*

Towards the bottom where various permissions are defined

<console> 0666 <sound> 0600 root

That should fix it.

It's actually a Fedora thing--back around November 2007, when they first decided to tie sound to ConsoleKit, it broke sound for many people, but it's stayed that way.

scottro, Sep 6, 2008
Ask a Question