Must-have Firefox extension for AAO users

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by IslandBookworm, Aug 25, 2008.

1. IslandBookworm

IslandBookworm

I found a great 'unofficial' Firefox extension that controls how the Firefox chrome (and Taskbar) looks and behaves in full screen mode. You may have noticed that in regular full screen you can mouse to the top of the screen to see the address bar and tab bar, but you can't see your other toolbars, menu bar, or status bar. This add-on lets you choose exactly what shows and when, so you can go full screen but still have access to everything. It's been working great so far with no complaints from my security software. See for yourself:
    http://www.krickelkrackel.de/autohide/autohidehelp.htm

IslandBookworm, Aug 25, 2008
  2. IslandBookworm

satart

satart, Aug 25, 2008
  3. IslandBookworm

IslandBookworm

You can also make other Firefox elements appear or disappear that way, but not third-party toolbars like Google toolbar. With Autohide you can select which Firefox and third-party toolbars to show always, which elements to show when you mouse to the top of the screen, and you can also choose to show the status bar only when there is activity on it. That way you can have 100% full screen but still have access to everything without ever going out of full screen mode.

IslandBookworm, Aug 26, 2008
  4. IslandBookworm

Scottola

I've trying this out and really like it. I moved my bookmark folders into the toolbar section and it's made browsing much better.

Scottola, Aug 26, 2008
  5. IslandBookworm

IslandBookworm

Right on. You can also access the bookmarks with CTRL-i or CTRL-b.

IslandBookworm, Aug 26, 2008
  6. IslandBookworm

shuut

shuut, Aug 26, 2008
  7. IslandBookworm

Scottola

I combine this extension with an auto hide side bar one, that pops out the bookmarks when you put the cursor on the edge of the screen.

It's the perfect combination of addons to ensure that you make the most of the screen size.

Scottola, Nov 23, 2008
  8. IslandBookworm

LAZ

Thanks for this tip. I was a little apprehensive about an unofficial add-on, but Autohide works great. Press F11 and everything goes away, but all your tabs, menu bars, status bar and task bar come back temporarily if you move the cursor to the top or bottom of the screen. What shows is customizable in add-ons options.

I also added Compact Menu; I like this better than TinyMenu because you don't have to drag all your navigation bar items up to the menu bar one by one. Instead, you open Customize and drag a Menu button wherever you want it, then turn off the menu bar. This makes it easier to get back the standard configuration if you should want to. (Just remember to turn the menu bar back on before disabling Compact Menu!)

My favorite Firefox add-on, Hyperwords (an amazingly powerful search and language tool), took a little doing to configure on the One, because the user settings dialog box is too big for the screen. Even when I managed to move the box upwards (alt+spacebar > M > up arrow), the save button didn't show up. I finally had to connect the laptop to a full-size monitor.

Another easy-viewing feature I am enjoying is the touchpad's pinch-to-zoom setting, which makes it very simple to increase type sizes for easier reading, then put them back. (This touchpad is endlessly configurable, and I am still playing with all the settings.)

I'd love to hear about other tools for making the most of the One.

LAZ, Dec 25, 2008
  9. IslandBookworm

goofball

I use TabMix (enable option to only allow one instance of Firefox), Flashblock, and quickdrag.

goofball, Dec 25, 2008
  10. IslandBookworm

sixunderground

I use Adblock Plus (I can't stand flash ads blocking the text underneath), Aging Tabs, AllInOne Sidebar, Download statusbar, PDF Download and TabMix Plus. And of course using full screan reading with F11 on AAO is recommended as well!

sixunderground, Dec 26, 2008
Ask a Question