Must have Utilities for WinXP

Discussion in 'Windows' started by mehboob, Feb 26, 2009.

1. mehboob

mehboob

Hey Guys,
    I will post Utilities I feel is a must have for your Acer Aspire one Series. I will udpate this post on a dayily basis. You can update it too.....

mehboob, Feb 26, 2009
  2. mehboob

mehboob

Advanced Launcher 1.41

[​IMG]

Advanced Launcher is a completely free award-winning toolbar and tray launcher.

It can show several fully customizable toolbars at a time. When you click a toolbar button it can either run an application (open a document) or show multilevel customizable menu. Menus can also show contents of folders (e.g. Programs folder from the Start menu or Desktop folder). You can minimize toolbars to tray and access them as menus.

URL : http://www.eeefiles.com/index.php?act=view&id=551

mehboob, Feb 26, 2009
  3. mehboob

kenwshmt

NTFS ratio

[​IMG]

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml middle of the page

NTFS offers file based compression but the compression rate isn't displayed anywhere. For any folder on an NTFS volume, NTFSRatio shows the size and the compression rate of this folder and also of its subfolders. Compression and decompression can be done inside NTFSRatio with immediate review of the result. Results can be printed or exported. NTFSRatio can be called from the Explorer context menu of any folder.

.. basically.. see if its worth the overhead...
    .. any my own experience is that you don't ntfs compress the windows system32 dirs, since compressed files don't run from rescue center command consoles command line :|

kenwshmt, Feb 26, 2009
  4. mehboob

jackluo923

Um... compression ratio is displayed in the file properties btw.
    100% - (Size on disk / file size) = compression data ratio
    Size on disk /file size = compression ratio
    size on disk = the size of compressed file
    file size = the size of file after it's decompressed

jackluo923, Feb 26, 2009
  5. mehboob

mehboob

Quintessential Media Player

[​IMG]

Quintessential Media Player is a feature rich media player for Microsoft Windows. It supports all popular audio formats including MP3, WMA, Ogg Vorbis, and CDs. QMP is highly skinnable and has a robust plug-in architecture.

URL : http://www.eeefiles.com/index.php?act=view&id=523

mehboob, Feb 27, 2009
  6. mehboob

mehboob

mehboob, Mar 9, 2009
  7. mehboob

mehboob

Desktop Earth 2.0

[​IMG]

Desktop Earth is a wallpaper generator for Windows. It runs whenever you`re logged on and updates your wallpaper with an accurate representation of the Earth as it would be seen from space at that precise moment

Day and night is accurately represented depending on the Sun`s overhead position (which depends on both the time of day and the day of the year) and both the snow cover and the foliage changes with the seasons.

URL : http://www.netbookfiles.com/index.php?act=view&id=598

mehboob, Mar 13, 2009
  8. mehboob

sebanab

sebanab, Mar 17, 2009
  9. mehboob

jackluo923

Kmplayer, vlc player, and numerous player all use the same codec (ffmpeg) to decode videos. Thus all of them can play 720P video as well as kmplayer.
    Coreavc is a better codec for h.264 than the ffmpeg preinstalled in kmplayer. If you set it as the external codec in kmplayer, you'll get better result.

Coreavc + any type of media player = 1080P video on AAO.

jackluo923, Mar 17, 2009
  10. mehboob

Talon88

:::

Coreavc, is it free..?
    Where to Download & info..?

:::

Talon88, Mar 18, 2009
  11. mehboob

jackluo923

coreavc isn't free, you'll need to "buy" or buy it. It cost $8 for standard version or $15 for professional verson. I use the professional version because i got it for free. The professional edition is about 25-50% faster than standard version because it allows multithreading.
    the website is: www.coreavc.com

jackluo923, Mar 18, 2009
  12. mehboob

Talon88

Thanks jackluo923 for the info.
    I will check it out later..

Talon88, Mar 19, 2009
  13. mehboob

sebanab

COREAVC rocks hard !! HD playback with CPU usage under 50%.
    Definitely a must have utility worth its money!

sebanab, Mar 20, 2009
  14. mehboob

jackluo923

LOL.. where have you been all these years? CoreAVC was availiable a few years ago. I've been watching HD videos eversince i got AAO.

P.S. many people can get CoreAVC for free .. LOL But you're doing the right thing by supporting the developers.

jackluo923, Mar 20, 2009
  15. mehboob

loil

Folder Size: http://foldersize.sourceforge.net/
    This is pretty useful for managing disk space. All it does is add a new column to details view that shows sizes for both folders and files, great if you're trying to free space by tracking down bulky stuff to delete or move to another drive. I can't think of a good reason why this functionality wasn't already part of xp. I suppose technically the size calculations would slow down the computer somewhat but it's not noticeable and you can pause or turn off the service using a control panel.

loil, Mar 21, 2009
  16. mehboob

jackluo923

Um... That's a pretty useless tool.
    You can't think of a good reason why this functionality wasn't already part of XP is because it's already part of XP. In fact .... it's uses a much better way to tell you the size of the folder or file. Just hover your mouse over the file and it'll tell you everything. E.g. file size, what's inside a folder, type of file, date modified ..etc

jackluo923, Mar 21, 2009
  17. mehboob

loil

What's with the attitude? :roll: I find it useful and I think other people would too (not everyone though obviously...). I like to be able to see the sizes of folders at a glance in details view, see them sorted by size etc. Hovering over each folder to see the size is comparatively tedious (and isn't really the same feature if you think about it). With this program I can look in the root of my hard drive and instantly see what folders are taking up the most space. I find conserving disk space to be more of an issue on the aao because the hard drive is so small.

loil, Mar 23, 2009
  18. mehboob

GvidoR

Since we're talking about must have utilities, I wanted to know, what is the lightest music player ?
    Thanks! :D

GvidoR, Mar 23, 2009
  19. mehboob

jackluo923

-Foobar 2000 (without pluging)
    -Moo0 player
    -billy
    -musikCube

billy is probably the lightest and foobar200 is probably one of the best yet very light audio player (that is if you don't enable a gazillion plugins).

jackluo923, Mar 24, 2009
  20. mehboob

mehboob

mehboob, Mar 24, 2009
Ask a Question