My 10.5.4 Install Progress

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by DefiantRonin, Aug 16, 2008.

1. DefiantRonin

SbM

It's definitely not there and Mac OS X runs like a charm. That's why I'm wondering what difference it would make. Added performance? Better battery life?

SbM, Aug 20, 2008
  2. DefiantRonin

hongcho

If the kernel is truely utilizing the hyperthreading, the performance should be better (~20% maybe).

Are you using a kernel other than "vanilla"? BTW, I used MSIWindOSx86.iso...

If you run System Profiler (About This Mac --> More Info...), what does yours say about "Number Of Processors" and "Total Number of Cores"? Mind says "1" for both.

Hong.

hongcho, Aug 20, 2008
  3. DefiantRonin

SbM

OK, thanks for the info.

My install procedure is listed here : viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1505

Don't know if iATKOS's kernel is vanilla or not, really. Do you?

Says 1 and 1 too. Is that OK?

SbM, Aug 20, 2008
  4. DefiantRonin

hongcho

I don't know either. However, most OSx86 distros install custom kernels. You select it in "Customize" during the installation.

For me, when I installed from MSIWindOSX86.iso, I unchecked all patched kernels. Using a vanilla kernel supposedly makes it more compatible to run Apple's updates directly... But I don't know for sure.

That probably means that somewhere (in the kernel for iATKOS, probably) it is setting the number of CPUs ("cpus") to 1.

I am guess that OS X doesn't (or can't) use hyperthreading...

Hong.

hongcho, Aug 21, 2008
  5. DefiantRonin

hongcho

I realized that com.apple.Boot.plist has the kernel name. Look for <key>Kernel</key>. The kernel name is within <string> and </string>.

My kernel is "mach_kernel", which is the "vanilla" kernel name (well, it doesn't really say "vanilla" :p).

Hong.

hongcho, Aug 21, 2008
  6. DefiantRonin

SbM

Well the thing is that the installer can always rename its custom kernel "mach_kernel" and you'll never know if it's a modified one or not.

I tried booting with the "cpus=1" option and the machine is actually slower, if XBench's results are anything to go by (ran it twice each time, just to be sure). The thread test in particular gives around 50 without the option and only 35 or so with the "cpus=1" option. So I do think iATKOS's kernel is somewhat modified to take this into account. Which is seconded by the fact that I tried to run the genuine Mac OS X 10.5.4 update the other day and it broke the whole thing (would show the Apple logo on boot and then restart immediately).

System Profiler shows 1 processor and 1 core no matter what, btw.

SbM, Aug 21, 2008
  7. DefiantRonin

Drillbit

Hello all, I'm running MSIwindOsx86 fairly successfully except I can't seem to get the track pad working correctly or enable QE. Anyone got any ideas?

Great little machine BTW.

Drillbit, Aug 25, 2008
  8. DefiantRonin

SbM

Trying the Wind release too, and I get a black screen with a mouse pointer on reboot. Did you uncheck anything?

EDIT: tried again, unchecking Extensions/AppleAC97Audio, AppleAzaliaAudio, AppleDecrypt, AppleIntelGMA950, ClamshellDisplay, Disabler and LaptopDisplay. And it worked! ;)

SbM, Aug 25, 2008
  9. DefiantRonin

Drillbit

Let me know how you get on with QE. I've even found a fix for the dodgy USB stuff today. Just trackpad and QE for a near perfect install.

Drillbit, Aug 25, 2008
  10. DefiantRonin

SbM

I reinstalled once more, leaving everything checked like the first time, and it booted fine (go figure...).

System Profiler says "Quartz Extreme: Supported" and "Core Image: Hardware Accelerated"

Trackpad works fine, except finger scroll of course.

Any idea whether SpeedStep is enabled or not?

SbM, Aug 25, 2008
  11. DefiantRonin

Drillbit

I don't know.

Can you tell me if Time Machine works? I mean visually. I can get it back my stuff up but I don't have QE so I don't know if the viewer works on the One or not. Also, can you tell me what kexts you have in your Extensions for the GMA 950?

Drillbit, Aug 25, 2008
  12. DefiantRonin

SbM

Reinstalled just now with Patches/Kernel unchecked, everything else I left checked. Worked fine, except I had to add "cpus=1" at boot to prevent it from restarting.

QE/CI still enabled.

Tested TimeMachine just now: works fine (visually at least).

SbM, Aug 25, 2008
  13. DefiantRonin

Drillbit

Reinstalling now. I hope I get the same results you did.

Drillbit, Aug 26, 2008
  14. DefiantRonin

Drillbit

Result. It fixed all my little errors.

Drillbit, Aug 26, 2008
  15. DefiantRonin

vzmr82

@SbM, some off topic question: are you trying all OSX installations out there? Maybe I should be waiting for your final analysis, to which "flavor" is best...

I am just finishing the iATKOS v4i installation and I may need to reinstall everything from scratch if you find a better version than that one... :mrgreen:

vzmr82, Aug 26, 2008
  16. DefiantRonin

SbM

:D :D :D Well, I'm trying to find the best one. JaS 10.5.4 is a bitch to configure and it doesn't seem to support SpeedStep so I'm a bit disappointed about this one. MSIWindOSX86, on the contrary, is very easy to configure and it supports 1024x600 resolution and Quartz Extreme/Core Image video acceleration out of the box. If I ever get SpeedStep to work on this one, I'm fairly confident it will be the best release for the One.

Well, since there are still unsolved issues (audio-in, sleep/wake, etc.), we might very well find a better version for our Ones in the future. Using Mac OS X on anything but a real Mac is very much a trial and error process, unfortunately.

Besides, you won't have to reinstall everything from scratch, thanks to Mac OS X's Migration Assistant. You'll probably need an external drive, though.

SbM, Aug 26, 2008
  17. DefiantRonin

hongcho

I guess you are where I am at now. ;) (with MSIWindOSx86.iso, that is)...

The sleep problem is the only real issue for me...

I've mentioned my progress here (http://forums.msiwind.net/post32349.html#p32349) on the thread that did the MSIWindOSx86 package, but I don't think they are that interested in helping the Aspire One OS X efforts.

I am thinking that the sleep issue could be related to the BIOS support, but I have no idea how to go about it...

Hong.

hongcho, Aug 26, 2008
  18. DefiantRonin

SbM

OK, I managed to get QE/CI acceleration with iATKOS, by reinstalling Paul's extensions. Don't know if it never worked before or if it stopped working at some point, but it's working now.

So basically, iATKOS is the only release I can get both SpeedStep (saving battery life) and Quartz Extreme/Core Image acceleration at the same time. I think I'll stick with it.

SbM, Aug 26, 2008
  19. DefiantRonin

rocklord

Those of you having problems installing OSX may want to go into the BIOS and turn off hyperthreading.

Some of the early adopters on the InsanelyMac forum fixed their installation problem by turning off hyperthreading. After installation, you may be able to turn hyperthreading back on.

I haven't tried to install OSX on my AA1 yet, but I do have a Core2Duo 2Ghz Hackintosh running Kalyway 10.5.3. Can't wait. I posted on the InsanelyMac forum months ago when the EeePC came out: This is the type of laptop Apple should have come out with instead of the Air.

HINT:
    Once you have OSX running, one thing you DON'T want to do is use Apple Software Update to install any kernel or security updates, you'll toast your installation. Updates for iLife, Quicktime, or any software like this is OK.

Good Luck All.

rocklord, Aug 27, 2008
  20. DefiantRonin

SbM

Good info, thanks!

Security Updates might be OK. I've just installed the current one (005) and everything works. Mac OS X Upgrades, on the contrary, are harmful because most of the time they upgrade the kernel, like you say.

As a rule, ALWAYS perform a complete backup of your system before attempting any update. It's true on a real Mac, and even more so on an unsupported Hackintosh.

SbM, Aug 27, 2008
Ask a Question