My Aspire Thoughts

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by rusty, Aug 25, 2008.

1. rusty

rusty

I have been reading several reviews and watching videos in regard to the new Aspire One Netbook. Today, I took the plunge and purchased an Aspire One (AOA-110). As I have no knowledge of Linux, my first thought was install Windows XP. Grabbing my USB CD/DVD R/W and changing the boot order in the bios, I was off and running. While the format and installation was in progress, I downloaded the MS XP drivers from Acer and burned them to a CD.

The XP installation went smoothly, but was a little time consuming. Immediately, after XP had completed I installed the Intel Chip Set Drivers, which greatly improved the performance. With all other drivers installed, I was ready to test out the Aspire One.

First, I was interested if the SD slot would extend my hard drive or show as a separate hard drive in My Computer. It showed as a second Hard Drive, and read a different SD card in the card reader. This works great since I plan to use several portable apps that use a small footprint.

Since the Aspire One (AOA-110) comes with only 512 memory, I order a one gig stick to enhance the performance. The Atom Chips shows spunk, but the internal SSD drive is somewhat slow.

All in all, I think Acer has hit a sweet spot in the Netbook World.

rusty, Aug 25, 2008
Ask a Question