My email no longer works..help??

Discussion in 'Linux' started by richt71, Jan 17, 2009.

1. richt71

richt71

Hi,
    I used package manager to download thunderbird. It appears to have done something to the email icon on my desktop (original one) as it no longer opens or right clicks. Panick....what have I done?? :shock:

richt71, Jan 17, 2009
  2. richt71

daldred

No idea! What happens if you start a terminal and type
    Code:
    AME
    ?

daldred, Jan 17, 2009
  3. richt71

richt71

/usr/acer/bin/AMEbin: error while loading shared libraries: libxpcom_core.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Looks like I've screwed up here. Should I try and download again via package manager?

Thanks

Rich

richt71, Jan 19, 2009
  4. richt71

daldred

It could be worth a go - but before you do that, use the desktop search and look for 'libxpcom' and see what it brings up. It could be that there is a version of the library somewhere on the system, and that all you need is a symbolic link to it.

daldred, Jan 19, 2009
  5. richt71

richt71

Thanks David...it returns a lot of thunderbird files in the library. How do I create the link please??

Rich

richt71, Jan 20, 2009
  6. richt71

daldred

The same search on my machine comes up with two versions of libxpcom_core.so:

- one is in /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.14
    - one is in /usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.16

I'm pretty sure the one Acer Mail will be after is the one in the firefox directory; is that still listed on yours, or have you perhaps lost / changeed your firefox installation?

If the firefox one has gone, then the first step is probably to try making a link to the Thunderbird one (though on mine they are different sizes, so different versions, and may not be quite the same - which may mean they won't work in the same way). In a console, do this
    Code:
    cd /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.14
    If you get a response at this point saying there is no such directory, then create it and then change to it:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.14
    cd /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.14

Now we make the link:
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.16/libxpcom_core.so
    (This command will make a 'soft' link in the firefox directory to the actual file in the thunderbird one; since we've not specified a name for the ink it will use the same filename, which is what we want).

Now start the Acer Mail client and see if it works. If it doesn't, then again try starting it from terminal and see if it reports any new errors there.

daldred, Jan 20, 2009
  7. richt71

richt71

Hi David....thanks for your continuing help. OK. I've found the firefox directory and create a link but it doesn't appear to have done anything!

[user@localhost ~]$ cd /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.14
    [user@localhost firefox-2.0.0.14]$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.16/libxpcom_core.so
    [user@localhost firefox-2.0.0.14]$

Rich

richt71, Jan 21, 2009
  8. richt71

daldred

If a Linux command completes succesfully, there is often no output to confirm that it has doen so - the default is that it's worked!

To check it has, try going to that same directory and typing 'ls -l'. You'll get a list of files; one of them should be called libxpcom_cure.so, and have after it an arrow "pointing" to where the original file is.

If you start firefox from the terminal now, does anything happen?

If not, there's a page I've found here which provides a way of reinstalling the missing FF2 libraries (read down a bit from the FF3 installation bit) - could be worth trying!

daldred, Jan 21, 2009
Ask a Question