My fan gone MAD!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by GvidoR, Mar 26, 2009.

1. GvidoR

GvidoR

My fan is out of control! :(
    If I hit it on the back the noise isn't that bad and now I also use A1CTL to keep it quiet.
    Is anyone else having it SO noisy? HALP!?

GvidoR, Mar 26, 2009
  2. GvidoR

JimmiG

It doesn't look like the fan is spinning at all? Perhaps it's stuck, or maybe it has failed and needs to be replaced..

JimmiG, Mar 26, 2009
  3. GvidoR

GvidoR

It's a picture :lol:

GvidoR, Mar 26, 2009
  4. GvidoR

JimmiG

I see :) Since it was a youtube "video" with sound I figured you just filmed the fan.

JimmiG, Mar 26, 2009
  5. GvidoR

jackluo923

Is your fan off balance? E.G. there are some bumps or dips on the back of each fan's blade. If dust gets caught on those holes or bumps, clean them out and it should reduce the noise.

jackluo923, Mar 27, 2009
  6. GvidoR

GvidoR

OK, I will open it tonight and see if it's dirty or something. Will let you guys know later.
    Thanks.. ;)

GvidoR, Mar 28, 2009
  7. GvidoR

GvidoR

I opened it up about an hour ago, fiddled around with the fan, thought I fixed and just as I was screwing back the last screw, BAM! there it goes again. I'll use A1CTL to keep it quiet.

I'm starting to get worried about my Aspire One... :( Now it's the second time it has happened, when I open it and close it again the screen goes weird, I have to fiddle around with the screen cable for quite a long time to get it working and it really worries me. The fan goes loud but I use A1CTL so I can live with it but still... Warranty won't take it back because they will know I've been there. Any advice to cheer me up? :roll:

GvidoR, Mar 29, 2009
  8. GvidoR

jackluo923

You can always buy an AAO fan assembly from ebay or something. Then replace it.

LOL.. I just listened to your AAO's sound on youtube... I thought it was a bee or something.

Check the fan if its rubbing against the aluminum heatsink. If it isn't, put some WD40 on the bearing and see if it helps.

jackluo923, Mar 30, 2009
  9. GvidoR

garrettp

I wouldn't advise any WD40 inside there. My fan is extremely noisy too. I run AA1fnctrl and it makes it livable since it does not run as often. Some day I am going to make a copper heat sink and hope that will help.

As for the video. The LVDS connector on the motherboard is very fragile. For one you need to pull it out evenly and not side to side. Also, the solder legs on the connector are also fragile so be sure to pull the connector out even and flat with the motherboard.

This, along with other important notes, should be posted with anyone making a video or posting of "how to's".

garrettp, Mar 30, 2009
  10. GvidoR

jackluo923

Any reason why not to use WD40 on the axle of the fan?

jackluo923, Mar 30, 2009
  11. GvidoR

ronime

The fan bearings are sealed with dust caps, so I would doubt that WD40 will be able to penetrate.

ronime, Mar 30, 2009
  12. GvidoR

garrettp

I have tried in the past to fix frozen fans. There is no use. A funny story though, I took a computer apart for a guy and he said he could fix his frozen vid card fan, he came back in with a fan and no blades, he tried to blow it with air, 175psi to be exact :lol: and it was a fan no more ;) He also tried WD40 but even with air, it was still frozen.

As for what causes the noise, in our case it is probably dust that causes the fan to wobble. This then causes the "bearing" to wear and fail. Once the "bearings" in small fans like this fail with out real ball bearings they are shot. WD40 may bring life back to them for a day or two but that will be all. Graphite powder would maybe give them a week but as the above poster says, getting any thing in there would be a miracle. I would worry more about the WD40 migrating to the MB in some way.

As I stated above, once these fans get dirty and start to wobble, it is not too long before they are shot :(.

garrettp, Mar 30, 2009
  13. GvidoR

rpeters83

i've had good luck with 3-in-1 oil before. wd40 is too thin i believe.

however, in the end, the fan just needs to be replaced. try sourceitstore.com to see if they have the part.

rpeters83, Mar 31, 2009
  14. GvidoR

danielh

It seems that my fan is dying as well.. it makes freaky crackling sounds, depending on how I position my laptop.
    its still cooling though, but since I;m staying in thailand for a while (warm..) I would like to change it in order to prevent any problems later on during my stay.
    my questions:

I can reach it by opening the lower cover of the netbook right?

Where can I get this fan? or an aftermarket item? (preferably more quiet if possible). Anybody knows if I can buy it somewhere in bangkok?

danielh, Jun 7, 2009
  15. GvidoR

jackluo923

Yes... I fixed my once super loud fan. I think I accidentally dropped my AAO real hard this time on the ground. Now the fan magically fixed itself.

Guess I'm one of those people who wins lottery every time.

jackluo923, Jun 7, 2009
  16. GvidoR

danielh

thanks for the reply, but i didnt plan to smash my a150 to the ground in order to fix this problem :p

Anyway, I bought me some decent screwdrivers over here and disassembled the a150 without any problem.
    I removed the heatsink module, and peeled the fan off. Surprisingly, you can just pull the fan from its axle, (magnetic system) or is this not normal?
    I cleaned it, put a little drip of oil in, and assembled everything.
    Now it works perfectly fine for a few days already. Clean and silent noise again, without annoying cracking sounds or the fan refusing to run properly.

danielh, Jun 12, 2009
  17. GvidoR

tirod

Despite the advertising, WD40 is not a great lubricant. It works really well inside distributor caps as it is a Water Displacing formula. Most commercial locksmiths curse the stuff as the unlearned use it on doors, which eventually collects all the minute shavings from thousands of key insertions and typically gums up the key pins completely. That's known as a lockout in the trade, or "Why doesn't this @#$%&* door open?" to the user that needs in.

Use of an oil like Three in One would be better, as it is recommended for lubricating small electric motors, like sewing machines.Oil does add friction, strangely enough, so I would recommend powered graphite or teflon.

tirod, Jun 27, 2009
  18. GvidoR

Bossy45

I have exactly the same problem with the same sound! It suxx. But i dont open it yet. So i have good chance to get it solved with warranty.

A short question.

I use the Acer 24/7 (internet programm running). U too? Maybee the Fan is not contructed for permanent use?

Bossy45, Jun 28, 2009
  19. GvidoR

dj_steve

yep mine does that aswell, have had fan out and cleaned it but still same and yes id sayits becasue its not built for heavy use

dj_steve, Jul 7, 2009
  20. GvidoR

Mental

I have a problem with my fan as well. Today I knocked my Aspire One across my desk as I tripped over the power cable. It didn't go very far or anything, but since then the fan has been making a loud, buzzing type sound. Any suggestions as to how to get rid of it? It's driving me nuts!

Mental, Jul 8, 2009
Ask a Question