My impression so far, and a question

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Bols, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Bols

Bols

I finally got the 751 yesterday. I'm reasonably happy so far:
    * Excellent design
    * OK keyboard. Would prefer traditional key shape, though
    * CPU is weak, but probably OK for everyday use. I got it to play H264 720p-material, but just by using CoreAVC and turn off deblocking.
    * Microphone is awful. Lots of crackling
    * Display is bright and crisp, but vertical viewing angle is pretty narrow, so the contrast is not fantastic
    * Fan is not too loud, but it is high-pitched. Fan control is not brilliant, leading to a lot of fan spin-ups. However, AA1FanControl actually seems to work, at least most of the time. When I turn off the fan completely it seems to hover around 55 degrees with normal use.

My question is rather simple...what is the RAM limit on these? A lot of shops seem to sell them with 2GB, but the manual clearly states a max limit of 1GB? Anyone upgraded it yet?

Bols, Jun 4, 2009
  2. Bols

hamsterhead

Mine came with 2gb, and the bios seems to recognize it.

I tried CoreAVC too, but wasn't able to get 720p working. I wonder what's different about our setup. It was much closer to watchable...but there were times the sound wasn't in sync and a few freezeups

hamsterhead, Jun 5, 2009
  3. Bols

Bols

Ah..off to buy more RAM, then :)

I'm using CoreAVC version 1.7, but I guess that shouldn't matter much. I had to select the "Disable deblocking always" in the coreavc preferences to make it work.

Bols, Jun 5, 2009
  4. Bols

Bols

Having tested a bit more, it turns out that 720p only works flawlessly on movies in regular wide format (black bars). Those movies typically have a resolution of 1280x520 or similar. I just tried a move-rip that was coded from 16:9 format with no black bars, and stuttering made it completely unwatchable. Overclocking to 1.45GHz fixed the problem, even if it sometimes drops frames in heavy scenes. I also noticed that streaming the film over wireless took so much cpu-power that it badly influenced the performance. Only solution is to copy the film to local hard disk first, I guess.

Bols, Jun 7, 2009
Ask a Question