My introduction and my experiances with the "One" so far

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by TechSys, Feb 15, 2009.

1. TechSys

TechSys

Hello all, god am I glad I found this forum. My name is Dennis, a.k.a TechSys (short for Tech Systems 12volt Audio and Accessories)

Got my AOA a couple weeks ago. Got the 150 with a 160gig drive and 1gig of RAM. I played with it a few days and decided to try installing PCLinuxOS 2009 TR6 on it from an 8g Sandisk Cruzer. Following the instructions, I did just that and got PCLOS installed without a hitch. Well after finding out that everything worked out of the box, I decided to try loading Windows XP back on it via the SanDIsk 8g Cruzer. Boy did I have another thing coming.

I tried following every topic I could find here about doing this. I downloaded so much software, to do this, the past 3 days, I was getting confizzled about what is what. I thought I had finally got it by using WinSetupFromUSB 0.1.1. It was the "ONLY" program that I could get that would make a good bootable Cruzer. I was overjoyed when I saw the windows XP setup start up. That was until it got to copying the files and decided to give the error of not being able to find the Windows XP CD. I was getting frustrated, so frustrated I decided to go to CompUSA and buy an external DVD drive. I didn't get one though, I bought an adapter for SATA/IDE to USB2.0 and an internal DVD drive with lightscribe.

Well, after 3 days, my Aspiring One is now loading a full copy of Windows XP Pro. I am such a happy camper right now. I just downloaded all the drivers. Should've slipstreamed them into an iso, but oh well, I'll get them loaded, I hope.

But that's it. I finally got my One back to XP (hopefully stable). I'm going to get another One soon just for PCLOS, but I will darn sure have a way to restore it to windows if needed.

TechSys, Feb 15, 2009
  2. TechSys

daldred

If you've got that size of HDD and want to try out Linux versions, install them as dual-boot with Windows.

Saves all the hassle of re-installing Windows, and when you find a Linux you want permanently, just wipe the Windows partition and use it as free space.

daldred, Feb 16, 2009
Ask a Question