My ONE died!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by zsno, Oct 21, 2008.

1. zsno

zsno

So I was trying to boot from a USB drive to restore the original operating system on my One, and it seems to have broke it. I selected which drive to boot from, then hit enter. I get the blue Aspire One screen and then nothing but a black screen and my cursor. I have tried to create another restore image, as well have tried to use the emergency BIOS flash from macles. Can someone please help me get my One back up and running?

zsno, Oct 21, 2008
  2. zsno

steven.chien

you should try to create a recovery USB drive to restore the system. Create the disk on another computer, remember to use a 2G USB drive, you the installation will fail(the manual said 1G) then boot from it.

steven.chien, Oct 21, 2008
  3. zsno

hjongste

Here are a couple of things to try.

1) First remove all SSD cards that might be in the slots i.e. return your AA1 to the state it was when you unpacked it. Take out the battery and leave it for a couple of minutes without the battery installed to allow any capacitors to discharge.

2) Meanwhile prepare a fresh, new installation USB stick. Apparently you have done this before, but try again preferrably with another 2Gb USB stick. Make sure the preparation comes back with a positive, so that you know you have a good USB installation stick.

3) Stick back the battery pack and connect the AA1 to the power (so don't run the restore on battery power alone!) Stick the USB stick in the slot.

4) Start up the AA1 and press F12 to select a different boot device. Select the USB stick.

5) Report back to this forum what happens.

hjongste, Oct 21, 2008
  4. zsno

Elllipsis

This happened to me as well...turns out I was clicking the wrong option on the installer. I forgot the exact choices but out of the two choices (install/recover...I think) make sure you choose the one you are not choosing now :p (sorry I don't have access to my usb right now and can't seem to find information about it on the forum). Hopefully that is what is going on since it is a simple mistake to make and correct.

Elllipsis, Oct 21, 2008
  5. zsno

zsno

Tried using another friend's pc to create a new recovery stick, that worked, and I'm now typing this from my one!

zsno, Oct 21, 2008
Ask a Question