My One is scorching hot!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by edlane, Oct 29, 2008.

1. edlane

edlane

i read that some the One users have issues with fan noise but mine is the total opposite! i'm actually wondering if mine has a fan or not cos it's completely silent! my One gets really hot even at the palm rest area beside the trackpad and not to mention the base, it's way too warm to even contemplate putting it on your lap.

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong?

Please help me out, thanks!

edlane, Oct 29, 2008
  2. edlane

nmesisca

might be the fan stuck, or disconnected, or simply faulty.
    could be a good idea to have a look inside (before it melts) or if its easier for you, just bring it back and get a new one.

nmesisca, Oct 29, 2008
  3. edlane

Zenspiral

Removed

Removed see next

Zenspiral, Nov 1, 2008
  4. edlane

Zenspiral

Ed,

I just received my Asus Aspire One with 160 GB hard drive and 6 cell batteries. I have noted that the palm rests above the track pad and below the keyboard (on the right) are very hot. The same holds true for a spot on the left side of the trackpad.

I just ordered mine through that big book shipping giant.

It would be great for you to provide more detail about your unit to let us know if there is a trend in certain units coming off the line. Also is anyone with the three cell 120GB also experiencing the hot spots on the top side?

My unit worked whisper quiet for a day (5 hours of use) on day two after about 12 hours of use a fan did spin (not loud) air did vent out of the unit, but most important the heat was hot (not warm).

Key words for those searching: Hot Heat Case Palmrest Palm rest Warm

Zenspiral, Nov 1, 2008
  5. edlane

Mimka

160GB HD w/6 cell battery running XP, received it on Tuesday 10/28. The fan has been on since I got it. I notice nothing more than a slight warmth on the palmrests and I've had it running continuously for 6.5 hours each day since and today it's been on 10 hours and used for most of those. Yeah, I'm doing a whole lot of NOTHING today :) I notice some heat on the bottom but it's no where NEAR as hot as my large laptop, a dual core AMD w/17" widescreen. I use a cooler pad with that ... no way I can put it right on my lap! In fact, I use a little lap desk with legs with it and have since I got a few years ago. But nothing needed with my AA1. The fan IS not exactly quiet but doesn't seem to be super loud as some complain. Hope this helps.

Mimka, Nov 2, 2008
  6. edlane

Forone

Over four days now my new XP 160g 3cell has run the fan a lot sometimes, others not. There seems to be half-speed and a full speed. Noise is comparable to my other laptop but the AA1 runs more often. It may sound funny but it seems to me the surface the machine sits on can contribute - I've just started using an ordinary vinyl 3-ring binder as a lap pad because the slant works well and it grips the rubber feet, and have noticed less fan. The space between the binder covers may heat sink the machine as well as insulate it from body warmth. They sell some pretty fancy electric fan laptop pads for larger units, so there's science to it ... maybe.

Forone, Nov 2, 2008
  7. edlane

Zenspiral

Hi Hot Acer Aspire One 6 Cell XP 160 GB users.

I had someone here, very nicely, respond to another string I was running. The person stated that the spots I'd identified on the unit will get pretty hot. He/She said it would be hotter under AC power, which I was. I'm now under battery and it is cooler by probably ten degrees, it gets warm like most laptops with a hard drive and other hot parts under a case.

My fan sounds about the same as other laptop fans, maybe a bit quieter since the second to last laptop I had was a ten year old IBM think pad (there was a time when that was small).

So I'm pretty much doing the following, getting used to typing on this thing, learning the ins and outs of scroll pad use, and putting the unit up with a very slight pamphlet or something else under it just to give it a twee bit more ventilation. I called Acer and they have not gotten calls yet about heat. I'd call them as this is a new unit and it's important for manufacturers to still know what is going on with our new machines. I did not purchase this as my main machine, it's a laptop meant for mobile use. The fan is a mystery to me as I had it stone quiet, off, running high...so it varies each day.Tech support only talked battery life to me--run the battery down fully each time one is using it and then charge it up. .....this was an aside, though it might still relate to heat somehow.I'm not an engineer.

Cheers.

Zenspiral, Nov 2, 2008
  8. edlane

oh_johny

I would make sure you have bios version 3305 and then install a fan control utility. THere are 2 that I'm aware of, I am currently testing out a utility called a1ctl that displays the current temp int the tray and my 120gb model runs at about 53 degrees Celsius. The fan control will save the battery and this utility will also adjust the hard drive sleep mode to help with hard drive life and power use. Its very handy and very easy to use. I used my Aspire one with an lcd projector last night for about 4 hours and I unplugged the battery and ran directly off the AC, as the user manual advises, I did notice the palm rest was warmer than normal, but it wasn't uncomfortably hot by any means. I was using an external USB hard drive at the time but I guess it was mostly the CPU - I was running at 1024x768 and the picture was great!!

If your computer is getting too hot, I would think about opening a service call with Acer. It could be a serious problem - heat will kill a laptop pretty fast if it is out of normal performance specs. It can also cause fires, there are several videos on youtube of laptops blazing up when the Lithium batteries got too hot - especially a problem if you have a titanium case as they can ignite if the temps get too far out of hand. Acer plastic case is actually a good safety measure. The case was intentionally left with a high gloss finish so CSI can recover your laptop in case of theft - the fingerprints are so obvious even a TV actor can find them.
    Okay the last line might not be true, but everything else is. Goodluck and don't keep running your Acer if it too hot, you will have problems.

oh_johny, Nov 3, 2008
Ask a Question