my touchpad has stopped working

Discussion in 'Linux' started by berryboy_84, Jun 29, 2009.

1. berryboy_84

berryboy_84

i was just surfing the net when my touchpad suddenly stopped work for not iv plugged in my USB mouse for now but i would like to get the touchpad working i tried going in to the settings but when i click TouchPad i get a message saying "GSynaptics couldn't initialize.
    You have to set 'SHMConfig' 'true' in xorg.conf or XF86Config to use GSynaptics" i have not been using linpus linux lite for long so im not sure how to do this can any1 help?

berryboy_84, Jun 29, 2009
  2. berryboy_84

fweigel

Strange problem!

Let's try some troubleshooting -

0 - Try FN+F7. This is the touchpad enable/disable keyboard toggle. If this solves the problem, we're done.

1 - Power cycle the Aspire One. If this solves the problem, we're done.

2 - If the touchpad is still unresponsive, try ALT+F2, and enter "terminal" (followed by enter, of course). This will bring up a terminal window. Type in the following commands:

sudo rmmod psmouse
    sudo modprobe psmouse

These two commands first unload and then reload the driver for the touchpad. See if its working. If it is, it will be in a "mouse emulation" mode, which is very restrictive. If this is the case, something happened to the X-Windows driver for the touchpad. Post results, and we will have a look.

3 - If the touchpad is STILL unresponsive, it may be defective. Continuing from Step 2 (still in the "terminal" window), type in the following command:

dmesg

This will result in a whole bunch of stuff being output. We are interested in the very last entry. If the touch is recognized at all, the last line (or so) should read:

Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1, fw: 7.2, id: 0x1c0b1, caps: 0xd04771/0xa40000
    input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad as /devices/platform/i8042/serio2/input/input11

(or something along those lines - input11 will probably be something else). If this shows up, it is likely that the touchpad is physically working, but not responding to input. We may have to investigate further. If it DOESN'T show up, the touchpad is definitely defective, and the Aspire One needs hardware service.

This should give you a bit to go on.

fweigel, Jul 3, 2009
  3. berryboy_84

berryboy_84

i just tryd all that but its still not working i when i typed the command:

dmesg

i couldent see

Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1, fw: 7.2, id: 0x1c0b1, caps: 0xd04771/0xa40000
    input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad as /devices/platform/i8042/serio2/input/input11

anywere so the touchpad must be defective looks like il have to send it back to the shop to get it fixed.
    thanks for ur help thow

berryboy_84, Jul 7, 2009
  4. berryboy_84

fweigel

Yes, the diagnosis was "successful". Your touchpad failed -- there isn't anything we can do about something like that in software.

How long does the ACER repair take? (curious, I own two, and friends have another 2, but, as yet, no hardware issues). Please report how long it takes to fix or replace.

Thanks in advance.

fweigel, Jul 8, 2009
  5. berryboy_84

berryboy_84

when i phoned thay sead about 10 working days but it ownly tock 5 and its all working now

berryboy_84, Jul 31, 2009
Ask a Question