mysterious madwifi [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Ar4miS, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Ar4miS

Ar4miS

hello everyone,

I can not say that I'm a (french) expert on linux but since I played a lot with several distrib, I understand quite well the system and I have a little probleme with the madwifi drivers. Something strange but I think I have made a mistake somewhere.
    here's what I've done so far :
    - update ubuntu
    - played with settings (don't remember what I've done exactly, SSD, disable services... :roll: )
    - disable atheros drivers and support
    - follow the guide to install the current madwifi drivers (everything seems to do what it should)
    - modprobe ath_pci
    - edit etc/modules
    and then ..... nothing. No wifi interface :? .
    - I tried my usb wifi stick and everything work fine with it.

Then I removed linux-restricted-modules to delete atheros drivers and follow the guide again but nothing comes up. ifconfig shows lo, eth0 and eth0:avahi.
    Seems like the wifi card takes some holidays :mrgreen: . I made the little change in rc.local et sysctl to see the wifi led and manage the wifi switch but I didn't see any change.

I think I'm missing something. Could anyone help me with this before I try ndiswrapper ?

Ar4miS, Aug 25, 2008
  2. Ar4miS

prikolchik

Re: mysterious madwifi

Have you tried enabling the new driver in "Hardware Drivers"?

prikolchik, Aug 25, 2008
  3. Ar4miS

Ar4miS

I don't see any changes in Hardware Drivers. Just the support for atheros hal, disabled but mark as "in use" even after reboot

Ar4miS, Aug 25, 2008
  4. Ar4miS

prikolchik

1. You should follow http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/FirstTimeHowTo to remove the current version of MadWifi you have installed and then restart.
    2. Then try "sudo echo ath5k_pci >> /etc/modprobe.b/blacklist" and "sudo echo ath5k >> /etc/modprobe.b/blacklist", reboot, follow http://madberry.org/2008/08/how-to-get-atheros-ar242x-wireless-to-work-2/ guide to install MadWifi. After installation do "sudo echo ath_pci >> /etc/modules". Might work right away, if not, restart.
    It worked for me on Xubuntu 8.10 Alpha 4.

If this doesn't help then the only thing i can suggest is to do a clean install and do step 2...

prikolchik, Aug 25, 2008
  5. Ar4miS

Ar4miS

thank for your answer,

I followed what you suggested. and it worked.

Now that I know how to do, I'm playing with other distros. already tried : pclinuxOS minime, kubuntu 8.10, tinyme 2008 ...
    Every distro boots on AAO and I already managed to install wifi on several. Quite easy with your advices !

Thanks a lot !
    Thread closed :D

Ar4miS, Aug 25, 2008
Ask a Question