need help booting from usb

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jdmaddict, Dec 12, 2010.

1. jdmaddict

jdmaddict

I am new here I have searched but was unable to find anything regarding my issue. My hard drive has fried on my netbook. I am trying to boot my computer using a usb flash drive. When I plug a usb flash drive in to my computer the flash drive does not read in the bios or in the boot selection window. I have tried formatting my flash drive to different format and tried using Ubuntu iso to try to run a live version of Ubuntu but that also does not read. Someone please help me I am about to pull my hair out.

jdmaddict, Dec 12, 2010
  2. jdmaddict

Urkee

Did u just format the USB or did you use program like "WinToFlash" or smth...

Urkee, Dec 12, 2010
  3. jdmaddict

Forone

I also would suspect that

a) you don't have USB set to the top of the boot order, or more likely
    b) you might not have put Ubuntu onto the USB in a bootable way. I suggest installing Ubuntu using the PenDrive installer that Ubuntu recommends here - follow the "show me how" closely:

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubunt ... -installer

The "Persistence" option on the installer is useful, for saving any settings / changes to Ubuntu in case you have to use it more than once. I've been experimenting with Ubuntu on a pendrive for a few weeks and it runs well.

Forone, Dec 13, 2010
Ask a Question