Need help inserting ZIF cable in MK3008GAL

Discussion in 'Storage' started by cornholio, Jan 8, 2009.

1. cornholio

cornholio

noob question, for a MK3008GAL, which way does the ribbon go in? does it go on side 1 or 2? Does the black bar that keeps the ribbon in supposed to be up when inserting and down to lock? I also filed down the oem zif cable somewhat. Does it have to be so thin that the wires show through the blue? Thanks in advance!

reference:
    [attachment=0:zk77r79v]P1030050.JPG[/attachment:zk77r79v]

cornholio, Jan 8, 2009
  2. cornholio

trepid4tion

Hi there...

Im new here and i have the answer :p...

Um, if its what i think it is (a Toshiba 1.8" drive) then the ZIF cable from the SSD originally in it may not fit, the thickness of the original zif cable connector is bigger than the Toshiba connector requires... you need to order a Toshiba specific cable off eBay or something (that's what i did, and it worked perfectly, had bad luck manipulating the old (i filed mine as well and that killed it), and to answer the question of which way, i had the contacts of the cable aimed away from the hdd itself on side 2, you flick the black tab behind the white connector down to lock it in or up to lock it in (cant remember).

Hope this helps,
    Trep

trepid4tion, Jan 8, 2009
  3. cornholio

cornholio

Thanks for the reply. I tried all the different combinations and the only one that turns on the hard drive is having the white side with the exposed pins on the same side as the hdd label.

but my problem now is that bios doesn't detect the drive.
    i tried to go ahead with the windows xp install and it is able to detect it there. i go and format and create a partition fine but right when the first restart happens i get a black screen with a message saying windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. anybody else had this problem?

please help, i don't know if the drive is messed up or not because it formats/partitions and copies part of windows files fine but still not detected in bios!

cornholio, Jan 8, 2009
  4. cornholio

cornholio

as for the ribbon, even after filing it works fine with my original ssd so im assuming it's still good?

cornholio, Jan 8, 2009
Ask a Question