Need help installing e-sword with wine

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by berighteous, Oct 18, 2008.

1. berighteous

berighteous

hi!
    I just got my wife an aspire one with linpus, and she wants me to install e-sword. We have it and a few modules on her PC, and now she wants it on the One. I know absolutely nothing about linux, and I haven't a clue what I need and how to do it, and what the differences between linux and the linpus on the one.

Can you give me step by step help on doing this? I read the other thread for umbuntu, but I don't understand it. Been working with computers for 30 years and Linux is totally alien to me and it's frustrating. Lol. I used unix in the 80's for awhile, but that's lost in the sands of time.

Here's what I have been able to do so far:
    I got the advanced mode on the One turned on, and through install programs I got wine installed. Went to the e-sword web site and downloaded e-sword and opened it with wine and installed it. But when I run it, the bibles, etc don't show up. I get the program screens, just no content. How do I get the content connected? Also I have a bunch of modules copied to my sd card. how do I get the files in the right place?

And is there a way to get esword onto the slick linpus menu thing? My wife is in a wheelchair and uses the One when she goes off writing. It's just the right size for her backpack. But she needs her bible program on there.

Any and all help would be seriously appreciated. Thanx!

berighteous, Oct 18, 2008
  2. berighteous

Duncan_Rowland

I think you have it close to working. I found this by googling "e-sword missing text"

"Additional Comments "
    e-sword785 setup in Ubuntu 7.04 During installation, ... Error 1911 couldn't register type library for file c:\WINDOWS\system32\msvbvm60.dll then missing text bug: use winecfg, in Applications Tab: set e-sword in WinXP, in Libraries Tab: set riched20 native then builtin, Apply&OK missing msls31.dll so no pop-up dictionary: copy msls31.dll from WinXP installation in c:\WINDOWS\system32, put it in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 then, it works!!"
    http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:8sgL ... cd=1&gl=uk

I tried just doing the "riched20" overide and it solves the missing text problem.

As for adding things to the menu, it a bit of a pain. Edit the file "group-app.xml" (I'd make a backup copy first!)
    cd ~user/.config/xfce4/desktop/
    cp group-app.xml group-app.xml.bak
    sudo mousepad group-app.xml
    Hopefully you can see how this file works? You'll need to add a link to an item in /usr/share/applications
    So, you'll need to make a new item there too (probably by copying/editing an existing one)
    and changing the executable line to run a script file that starts your wine application...
    (I suggest a script file as I couldn't get wine apps to start directly, but you may discover how)
    e.g.
    #!/bin /sh
    wine "C:\Program Files\e-Sword\e-Sword.exe"

Hope that helps,
    -Duncan.
    p.s. Get to the command prompt by Right Clicking and going to Terminal
    p.p.s. I should keep a copy of your edited group-app file, as updates from ACER have overwritten it in the past.

Duncan_Rowland, Oct 18, 2008
  3. berighteous

berighteous

ok, I added the riched20 and my bible comes up now, but how exactly do I copy the dll from my sd card to the right directory? what program do I use and how do I find it?
    I tried the file manager and it only shows me My Disk and my SD card. No help there.

4. berighteous

Duncan_Rowland

Hiya,
    open a terminal window, type
    cd /media
    This will move you to the directory where all external media gets mounted
    ls
    This will list the contents of this directory, and show where the sd card is mounted
    cd "whatever "ls" has told you where your sd card is mounted"
    ls
    and "cd" to the directory with the dll in it.
    Now, I'm not 100% sure what it is, or where it should go, but to start I'd try copying it to the same directory as your e-Sword executable. i.e. use the "cp" command to copy the file...
    cp filename.dll /home/user/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/e-Sword/
    Let me know how you get on,
    Best -Duncan.

Duncan_Rowland, Oct 18, 2008
  5. berighteous

berighteous

Success!
    yay!

At first it didn't work, because my normal desktop machine I took the file from is running windows xp64. Didn't like that dll. So I grabbed it from one of my other notebooks.

Now I just got to get the other modules over. I think it's just copying files...

6. berighteous

Neo Cortex

Thanks for this. Just bought an Acer yesterday and it's great to see e-Sword running. One problem I have is that Hebrew is displaying left to right. Is there a fix for this?

Neo Cortex, Feb 1, 2009
Ask a Question