Need to restore

Discussion in 'Linux' started by groeswenphil, Sep 27, 2010.

1. groeswenphil

groeswenphil

Dear Group,

My Acer Aspire One has........initially had Linpus, then Ubuntu Netbook Remix, then was lent to my daughter and has now come home.

BUT....I can't get it to link to my network.
    Thinking about it, this fault might have developed a while ago as my daughter tells me that she had no joy with it at all.
    This evening I tried an Ubuntu re-instal but failed.

I think I'd like to try to get it back to the original spec and re-install the original version of Linpus.
    Can anybody advise me, or tell me how to get the thing to detect my wi-fi network.

Thanks,
    Phil

groeswenphil, Sep 27, 2010
  2. groeswenphil

hgh9mrp

Phil,

My AAO originally came with Linpus also, so I would guess that you have a model ZG5 110L with an 8GB SSD. Correct me if I guessed wrong. I successfully installed Ubuntu on my own ZG5 110L several months ago and have experienced no problems whatsover with connecting to any open wireless router.

There may be only some small misconfiguration.

Could you please elaborate on this - which version was it? Where did it fail? What kind of installation media were you attempting to reinstall from? Does it still boot up into Ubuntu?

Have you checked out the Ubuntu Forum Community? There is a forum there, Ubuntu Moblin Remix that mostly has threads on Ubuntu Netbook Edition (formerly Ubuntu Netbook Remix)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=376

Maybe we can work through this; however, it may take a few days. How much time do you have?

Hugh

hgh9mrp, Sep 28, 2010
  3. groeswenphil

groeswenphil

Could you please elaborate on this - which version was it? ubuntu-10.04-netbook-i386

Created an ISO image using Universal-USB-Installer-1.7.9.9
    I tried two different USB doohdads, both gave the same result.
    I put the USB drive into the Acer netbook, pressed f12 on bootup, picked the correct pen drive , then it said. "SYSLINUX 3.86 2010 04 01 EBIOS Copyright (C) 1994-2010 H. Peter Anvin et al
    No default or UI configuration directive found!
    boot:
    Where did it fail? When I tried to get it to boot from the pen drive.
    What kind of installation media were you attempting to reinstall from? From a USB Pen drive... A Cruzer 8Gb and a Buffalo pendrive
    Does it still boot up into Ubuntu? Yes

I honestly thought it would be easy to just install a new installation and as there wasn't anything on the netbook that needed saving, that was my preferred option,...........maybe there's something wrong with the Ubuntu download?
    but hey ho, I only want the thing to connect to my router as it did back in the good old days.

Thanks,
    Phil

groeswenphil, Sep 28, 2010
  4. groeswenphil

RockDoctor

If you want a copy of Linpus Lite as originally implemented on the ZG5, I keep a copy of the recovery image at [urlhttp://deli.no-ip.org/aa1][/url].

Hope you're able to solve your problem without reverting to Linpus!

RockDoctor, Oct 1, 2010
  5. groeswenphil

hgh9mrp

Phil,

Sorry it took so long to get back with you. Sometimes, we have other commitments. We both have similar devices, AAO with UNE10.04 installed so maybe we can solve this problem.

From a terminal, could you please provide the results of the following commands -

lshw -c net

ifconfig

iwconfig

hgh9mrp, Oct 3, 2010
Ask a Question