Need to upgrade Linpus (?) on ZG5 AOA 150

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Pink Paisley, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Pink Paisley

Pink Paisley

Please bear in mind that I can install stuff in Windows on another machine because it says 'click here'.

My little blue Aspire One is just getting old. It has the following:-

Firefox 2.0.0.14
    XFCE 4.4.2 (whatever that is)
    Linpus Linux Lite v1.0.7 E
    512 MB RAM
    120 GB HDD
    Intel Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60 Ghz

I use it mostly for e-mail and internet use. However, it has trouble with some web sites that I assume are written with more up to date software and perhaps hardware in mind. I do use open office with no problems at all.

For instance, Youtube is a closed book to this machine and Wikipedia and other sites cause problems, giving me a message along the lines that script is causing a problem and asks if I want to wait or stop script.

So I need to do a bit of work here.

What then is my best straight-forward option please?

Please remember, anything beyond 'click here' and I may need my hand held......

PP.

Pink Paisley, Mar 27, 2013
  2. Pink Paisley

Nestone50

Well, I have the same netbook. I boosted the memory to the max of 1.5 gigs. I also updated the OS to Windows 7 Home Premium and used a 2 gig SD card in the left side slot exclusively for "Ready Boost." I also had to get a micro USB wireless dongle as I couldn't find a reliable driver for the built in wireless card. The benefit of the dongle is that it allows for "n" speeds.
    With all these improvements, I can watch You Tube videos without a hitch.. Also no worries surfing the net and word processing.
    If you feel confident in disassembling your netbook, the biggest "bang for the buck" is increasing the RAM. As you report you only have 512k of RAM, you have an open RAM slot on the backside of the motherboard. There are You Tube videos out there showing you how to disassemble the A-150. I watched one and took the plunge. I don't have experience with Linux but uderstand it uses less hardware resources than Windows. So, updating your memory and perhaps a fresh install of your OS is your best bet.

Nestone50, Mar 28, 2013
  3. Pink Paisley

ryptyde

I run Fedora 18 on my AAO's dual booting with Windows XP. Have also modded the ZG5 AOA 150 to 1.5 GB RAM as Nestone50 has done. You can easily create a bootable live-usb with a Linux operating systemsuch as Fedora and install to your hard drive replacing Linpus. :)

ryptyde, Mar 28, 2013
Ask a Question