Netbook freezes randomly

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by maartendq, Jul 17, 2009.

1. maartendq

shadz

Maybe this is real.

I never had a freeze by the first weak, until I updated the sound to the latest drivers. The freezes become very common.

Edit: seeing the drivers page at acer support, there is a new sound driver (5.10.0.5905) for Windows XP. Let's try it.

Edit2: nope. Freezed about 30 minutes of use, scrolling at word.

I will try v. 6.0.1.5628 sound driver.

shadz, Oct 9, 2009
  2. maartendq

ericm

I've another theory about that freeze problem. Since I've disabled the Wifi card and I plugged a Ethernet cable, I've no more freeze !! I'll test for some few days and if I've no more freeze, I'll change the Wifi card. For the moment I've no Wifi card to test in that netbook (my Asus laptop is mini pci-e but too long...).

If you look on the Web, you'd see that there're some issues on that Atheros AR5007EG Wifi card. Maybe drivers issue because a friend of mine doesn't have the freeze issue with old drivers (version from 2008-12). Her laptop is the same but the HDD manufacturer (Hitachi). There are some issues with the 160Gb HDD Seagate... Maybe it's related but I keep the way of the Wifi card issue.

Is there anyone who has freezes want to try to plugged a plugged cable during some days ? I know it's not the goal of a netbook but if we could identify the root cause...

I think it's not a RAM problem because I've had freeze with the 1Go factory memory. I've change to 2Go (Kingstom PC-6400) and I've had freeze with Wifi activated.

My configuration : Acer Aspire One 751h - 2Go Kingston RAM PC-6400 - 16OGb HDD Seagate - No BT - 6Cells battery - XP Home SP3 - all drives up to date.

ericm, Oct 9, 2009
  3. maartendq

cmeide

I believe this has already been tried out. For my part, I tried disabeling the Wifi while running on the internal 3G. Often after mods like this, it will work fine for a period of time but eventually you are back in the freezer. Maybe the drivers/software access the RAM differently making some programs/actions more prone to freezing than others.

It might be the 751 for some reasons is extremely sensitive to the RAM module. Either a small defect in the RAM module triggers a lockup under certain conditions or the chipset has a fault accessing the RAM. I also think Fauxpas' theory sounds like it might have something to it.

I am not saying the factory RAM is perfect. Many user have problems right out of the box. There might be different manufacturers, lots, etc that can make the difference. Thats why it would be extremely interesting to analyse what type of RAM we are running, and see if we can establish a pattern.

I now know one thing for sure. Changing the RAM module in my machine has made an enormous difference. I am suddenly able to use this netbook as it should be. And I am using it hard, trying to trigger a new lockup. So far its rock solid.

PS: Running RAM tests does not reveil anything.

cmeide, Oct 9, 2009
  4. maartendq

Guest Guest

Maybe a separate thread dedicated to ram, so we can clarify if the ram is the case of these freezes.

Guest, Oct 9, 2009
  5. maartendq

c921

When I run mine on safe mode with Networking (wifi) I never experienced any freeze at all. I am guessing the wifi card is not defective?
    I thought the HDD was also the main culprit but NO.

I'm trying to roll back the old Realtek Audio drivers and I took out the black plastic that covers the holes
    of my memory slot. I am hoping this is the cure for this problem.

Will update if I encounter any freeze.

c921, Oct 9, 2009
  6. maartendq

c921

** Update:

Installing the old Realtek sound card drivers made my netbook FREEZE more.
    Every 10 minutes it freezes. I usally have 2-3 freezes a day but now, it turned worse.
    I have the bios 3210, Winodws Vista Service pack 2 and the lates Intel GMA 500 dirver.

I have thirty days to send this in for repair for free AGAIN. Now I can say this thing is a piece of junk and sad to say I'm giving up on it. I decided I will just buy another brand (DEFINITLEY NOT ACER) and give this to my daughter. But I have to warn her... this netbook can only be stable when running on SAFE MODE.

I just have a strong feeling, its the video graphics driver and sound card drivers. I may be wrong but I know there are a lot of problems in this machine.
    Whenever I scroll from the browser (I'm using google chrome) thats where it freezes specially when I changed my fonts to a larger one.

I'm just wondering if it is caused by hardware...how come when you run it on safe mode, it becomes stable. So, you make the guess. I give up.

**EDIT: As I was typing this entry in safe mode, guess what happened? That's right it froze.
    So I take it back, IT IS DEFINITELY A HARDWARE PROBLEM. Probably the motherboard and memory... or the whole thing. Grrrrr.
    I also forgot to mention that I returned the black plastic cover that I took out from the memory slot, it is also a possible cause why the freezes in my netbook became worse. I WILL HAVE TO SEND THIS UNIT again for ANOTHER REPAIR.
    I can't even sell this piece of junk, they will just return this to me! :oops:

c921, Oct 12, 2009
  7. maartendq

blix

Hi

I also had constantly freezes as reported earlier, especially when using Skype. About to weeks ago when doing a BIOS flash the netbook froze and of course then nothing would work anymore at all. I sent mine in to Acer and the exchanged the mainboard. I got it back within 10 days and have no complaints (other people reported on scratches). I have used skype and it seems like it does not freeze anymore, however, the webcam will still freeze after a couple of minutes but after restarting the video stream it works again for a couple of minutes. Hopefully this can be solved at some point with a new driver - at least the computer keeps running.
    I can only recommend everybody to sent it in for repair - even if it needs to go multiple times...I would not keep a unit that is not reliable.

Good luck!

blix, Oct 12, 2009
  8. maartendq

c921

**Another Update:

One thing I noticed, after uninstalling Google Chrome and I use Firefox now, my netbook seemed to be stable as of the moment. I didn't get any freezes right after I took it out.
    The only time it froze is when I was charging it for more than an hour and the battery adaptor became hot. Other than that I can use it for so many hours,
    even when I resume it, doesn't freeze.

BIOS 3210, latest Intel GMA 500 driver, and latest Realtek Audio drivers are working fine, plus Firefox and I put back the black plastic thingy that's covering the memory slot.

I might not send this for repair unless it acts up again, but so far its pretty stable... Thank God! =)

c921, Oct 13, 2009
  9. maartendq

oncaribe

i didn't have a Goggle Chrome browser installed and my 571 freeze too (i bought this netbook 4 days ago ); perhaps i have a Google desktop gadgets.

Really i bought a new 571 for me and give my old and efficient AOD150 to my daughter, bad thing.

Somebody knows the ACER explication?

oncaribe, Oct 14, 2009
  10. maartendq

dralion

c921, did your netbook freeze when using webcam with Skype or Yahoo Messenger ?

dralion, Oct 14, 2009
  11. maartendq

c921

I have only tried it for 2 minutes or less then turned off the webcam right away but I used skype yesterday (w/o webcam) for 4 hours staight.
    No freezes whatsoever. Today, didn't have one too, and my netbook is turned on the whole day running so many browsers and playing games at the same time.

I suggest you install the latest Realtek Audio drivers.

P.S. I will try using the webcam right now.
    Will get back to you later.

c921, Oct 14, 2009
  12. maartendq

oncaribe

hI, ¿Where i can find the latest Intel GMA 500 driver ? (I use Win XP pro)
    Tks

oncaribe, Oct 14, 2009
  13. maartendq

LanaiLizard

I think fauxpas may be on to something here. Out of desperation I broke down and bought a 1GB DDR2 PC2-4200 (533Mhz) RAM module to replace the 1GB PC2-5300 (667Mhz) that came with my system and so far no freeze. If the memory is running at 533Mhz anyway this eliminates any need to down-stepping to a slower speed.

It is a little early to say for sure but before my system would freeze EVERY time my Windows Home Server backup would start if the display lid was in the closed position (strange the lid position would matter) and that hasn't happened after the memory swap. I upgraded the BIOS to 3210 at the same time but based on other postings the BIOS upgraded isn't a factor.

My old memory was: Hynix 1GB 2Rx16 PC2-5300S-555-12 HYMP112S64CP6-Y5 AB-C 0913

New memory is: 1GB DDR2 PC2-4200 AA533D2S3/1GB from Add-On Computer SKU: F72389; 89878E; 20602

It looks like Add-On Computer put their sticker over top the "real" chip maker's sticker so that is all I can tell. If fauxpas is correct what matters is the PC2-4200 (533Mhz) clock speed spec more so than anything else.

My system was freezing multiple times DAILY before so this is looking very promising but it will take more time to tell for sure.

LanaiLizard, Oct 14, 2009
  14. maartendq

towers1209-acer

towers1209-acer, Oct 14, 2009
  15. maartendq

cutolo

I've come across all the posts in this thread, and tried several workarounds. But when I started realizing it was a hw problem, I tried installing ubuntu, and then windows 7, and I always got sporadic freezes (the last one while writing down this reply...). I also tried with a different ram module, but again I had no luck, so my conclusion is that it's a pure hw problem, probably on the motherboard. I can also add that I bought a 751 to my girlfriend, in the same store, the same day, from the same stock, and she never experienced a freeze in more than 1 month.

cutolo, Oct 14, 2009
  16. maartendq

Trivial

Okay guys, I, too have been having the freezing problem extensively. I was freezing at least twice an hour, sometimes more. I don't have the option to have my computer serviced under the warranty because I live in Cambodia, so rightly I'm very irritated.

I have, however, found what I believe to be a fix.

I believe that the Realtek HD Audio Drivers are to blame for this. Since upgrading to the October 7th R235 release, I haven't had a SINGLE freeze. Can anyone else install these drivers and verify?

Trivial, Oct 15, 2009
  17. maartendq

stefanos

Hi guys ,
    I'm not sure if this helps, or if this is the case, but i came up with something ,and my netbook works ok (no freeze) for a couple of days now.
    Certainly this is not a solution since power management options not working,but its a good start to find out the solution( if this is s/w and not h/w problem)... ok this is what i came up with.

I found in the system alerts that driver ACPIEC (responsible for power management) reported an error the exact time that my netbook freezes.Normally this problem should be solved by updating the bios but in our case no... :)

So i disabled ACPIEC from registry and my netbook working fine so far...Unfortunately none of the power management options working (hibernate, monitor brightness,battery indicator).
    I'll try to find if there is an acer power management driver linked to ACPIEC ,if so, maybe deleting acer driver or installing a new copy of XP solve the problem and have fully working power management.

That's my "temporary" solution.
    i'll keep you informed for any updates :)

So far so good...

stefanos, Oct 15, 2009
  18. maartendq

Predator04

im willing to try it. were can i find that driver?

Predator04, Oct 15, 2009
  19. maartendq

Trivial

Damn. Computer started freezing again after BIOS and HD Realtek updates -- but I got about 24 hours of freeze-free operation!

I'll try disabling the power management -- I really hope it doesn't come to that, but I'm willing to try anything right now!

Trivial, Oct 15, 2009
  20. maartendq

shadz

Yes, it is still freezing after installing the last audio drivers, but freezes much less than before.

I'm waiting for a glorious new bios that solve this problem.

shadz, Oct 16, 2009
Ask a Question