Netbook freezes randomly

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by maartendq, Jul 17, 2009.

1. maartendq

Guest Guest

I'm going to do that, just for the sake of revenge. And because the store where I bought it will handle the shipping procedures and costs for me. I don't strictly need this PC, so I'll use it to entertain Acer's support technicians. I'll probably send it on monday; I'll keep you updated on how the situation will evolve.

I'm also experiencing a new problem here:
    the single USB port on the right seems to be faulty and to produce data corruption if used for long periods to link an external mass storage unit (namely, a WD MyBook Essential that works flawlessly if attached to any other computer). I did nearly loose 400 GB of personal data. So be warned, once more. Vista and 7 handle this problem quite well (you are warned in time and can recover data), but XP will cripple your storage device after a few times you link it.

Guest, Oct 30, 2009
  2. maartendq

rogeriol

My computer never froze again with that. Surely not a proper solution, but it works. I'm now waiting for stable bios/video drivers (if this mess can be fixed at all).

rogeriol, Oct 31, 2009
  3. maartendq

DDjimakos

Hello goys from Greece i have too a acer aspire one 751,and that thing freezes 1-2 times in a day.no any solution found,any drivers are test no solution.so the last thing i have done,i installed win 7 ultimate,but that was too heavy for that little thing.after 1 hour i made coffee and sitting again to make a fresh formating and install win XP. everything fine.so,at the time i was installin the vga drivers(gma 500)i had 2 problems pop up at the screen. 2 DLL files cannot copy to the DRIVERSTORE(system32 under windows folder)i searched the xp cd but nothing,searched the drive c:/ but nothing.i pushed the button retry the dll's does not found do you want to continue the installation without the file? i select yes.and the installation was finish.the missing DLL guys are ( igfxres.dll , igfxress.dll ) i use the netook for 4 days now without shuting down all day long is downloading watching videos listen music and and and.......AND THAT DOES NOOOOOTTT FREEZZZZ AGAIN,very lucky i can say mayby that 2 missing dll's from the driver make all the system to be freezing,i don't know.but now it's working fine.

have a nice day to every one. :)
    And sorry for my english

DDjimakos, Nov 2, 2009
  4. maartendq

fauxpas

DDjimakos, do you have spare ram stick to try in your 751? Or have a friend to swap to try?

If you do, swap to different ram sticks and see if one is stable.

fauxpas, Nov 2, 2009
  5. maartendq

DDjimakos

no i don't have spare ram, the ram everthing is stock from factory. :)
    i will to buy ram at 2gb and try it. ;)

DDjimakos, Nov 2, 2009
  6. maartendq

c921

**FOLLOW UP:

So I got my netbook last week and has been testing it out. First day, I've had about 2-3 freezes.
    The following days, I have every 5-10 minutes or so after installing google chrome.

I've also noticed on the side of my netbook, there is a long scratch, and at the top pf my lid.
    I'm suspecting they dropped it on the floor or somewhere then the LCD cracked so they needed to replace it, but told me they saw gray horizontal lines running across my screen.

Such a waste of time, but Acer Depot Service didn't SOLVE the issue yet AGAIN.
    I'm so fed up so I WILL SEND IT AGAIN FOR REPAIR. Even if it will take 20,000 TIMES until they fix it or give me a refund or a replacement.
    And of course as slong as I won't pay shipping.

FAIR deal right?

c921, Nov 2, 2009
  7. maartendq

gsearle

I received an RMA from Acer for my netbook, but am holding off sending it in not just due to the horror stories posted here, but the fact that it suddenly stopped freezing. This coincides with a recent driver update pushed to the machine through Windows Update (Vista). I'll keep you posted...

Update: Nope, it just freezes less.

gsearle, Nov 4, 2009
  8. maartendq

rjon17469

I know I haven't tested this extensively, but I'll post it anyways so other people can try also.

I was working on a large word document last night, and was experiencing freezes literally every 1 to 2 minutes. I disabled the graphics driver, and then continued to work on the word document for over 10 hours without a single freeze.

Note that killing the graphics driver also killed all forms of power management on my 751.

I looked into disabling video hardware acceleration, however I can't do it on W7. The troubleshooting menu is grayed out, and I can't find a way to fix that. Has anyone been able to disable video hardware acceleration on W7 without disabling the graphics driver?

rjon17469, Nov 4, 2009
  9. maartendq

aspergerian

Re: Netbook freezes randomly - ram memory 1410

Seems to me in this long and important thread, ram has been mentioned. My 1410 has been running ok for two days (ie, since it arrived), but Acer store is out of ram for a long time, and I'd like to have 4 gig installed. What non-Acer ram brands have worked in the 1410 solo core?

aspergerian, Nov 4, 2009
  10. maartendq

lacruz

Guys, main is a AO751H-1893 and it freezes several times during the day. I tried all the solutions from drivers updating to reinstalling windows and updating the bios to the last version (3210), but nothing worked. Just before to give up I tried changing the memory module (2gb) with a compatible one I use in a HP notebook and VOILA!!!! not freezing at all.... it used to freeze when I scrolled over a document (word) or in a web page. Definitively, in my case, the memory module was the problem. I then realize that every time the memory consumption bypassed the 1GB it freezes. With the 1Gb module (PNY DDR2 PC2-5300 667gz) it works fine with windows vista HB.

Maybe the same problem is happening for all of you with the AO751H (specially the AO751H-1893). I hope this post help to solve your problem of freezing, too.

Update [9/6/2009]: My netbook still working fine. I have done multiples test that includes: Scrolling big documents, seeing videos online, watching movies, chating with video among other things... some of them (resource consuming) at the same time. Definitively, the memory module was the problem all the time. I will buy a 2GB memory module from PNY (I'm actually using a 1GB module from them) to replace the original one a Samsung.

lacruz, Nov 5, 2009
  11. maartendq

sephi911

I've tried scrolling up and down a webpage for a couple of minutes(www.hs.fi) and the netbook freezed. I tried updating GMA 500 driver with no luck, still freezing. DDJimakos, which version of GMA 500 driver are you using? Can you check from Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> Display Adapters -> Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 500 ->Driver tab?
    Thanks.

sephi911, Nov 5, 2009
  12. maartendq

DDjimakos

Hello sephi911 yeah sure no problem i check it,so the DRIVER VERSION : 6.14.11.1012. download from the official intel support site.
    everything works fine so many days ago and still have NO FREEZING AT ALL.never shut it down.8 days from the formating and work fine NO FREEZING ANYMORE!!!i am 99% sure that the problem by me was this 2 missing DLL's( igfxres.dll , igfxress.dll ) i wish that help's for all users of this little netbook(751). :)

DDjimakos, Nov 6, 2009
  13. maartendq

c921

I just sent my netbook for the "THIRD" repair. Customer Rep. told me that he will address this issue to the level 2 support and the Network Engineers now will handle my case. I was also assured that it will be sent to me in good working condition (it better be since they didn't fix it twice) and my netbook will be high priority since this will be the 3rd time.

I was hoping they'd replace it but we'll see. So far 3 shipping fees at their cost (lets say its $22), replaced my HDD, then my LCD... and then
    this time... I don't know yet what they are going to replace. Its costing them, gosh, they better send me a new replacement and then sell my defective one as a refurbished one. Acer is just dumb and they suck at everything. I don't know how long this will take but the more they don't resolve this faulty netbook, the more it will cost them.

Will update within a few days what they're going to do next.
    3 brand new netbooks... 3 times sent for repair... AND STILL COUNTING! Way to go ACER! :D

c921, Nov 7, 2009
  14. maartendq

drewy813

I think I just lucked out... My fiance and my 751 doesn't have any of the freezing issues everyone has been having... Besides being a little slower than what I am used to the thing works like a gem.

Just a suggestion though?? Has anyone thought of comparing manufacturing dates? Perhaps there is a connection with the issue during a certain time span???

drewy813, Nov 9, 2009
  15. maartendq

talkanderson

I got my unit back five days ago after its second trip to the repair depot and so far no lockups. The first time they replaced the hard drive but that actually seemed to make the problem worse. This time they replaced the motherboard but kept the same RAM and hard drive. This would point to this issue being a motherboard problem and not a peripheral problem. No amount of peripheral shuffling would actually fix the problem -- change the frequency maybe -- but not correct the problem. My original system would lockup when installing software, coming out of sleep, scrolling windows, or even just sitting there (basically every scenario described in this thread). I have uninstalled all the bloatware, installed Chrome, adjusted the graphics to full acceleration, optimal battery life, hybrid sleep, etc. without any lockup. Don't waste your time troubleshooting this yourself because you are just wasting time and money. In my opinion after 25 years in the computer industry (software, hardware, development, and support), it is abnormal for a system to randomly lockup.

My recommendation is to return your unit until they replace the motherboard. I paid the first shipping charge, but Acer is responsible for subsequent shipping costs until the unit works reliably.

talkanderson, Nov 9, 2009
  16. maartendq

khlea

I have since my last post experienced the system freeze a lot less frequently (been running at 'High performance' scheme), that is until last night when I changed the power scheme from 'High performance' to 'Power saver'. System freeze then occurred within minutes of scrolling through some web pages. I might add that I also have upgraded the memory from 1GB to 2GB. I'm also running the system with DEP active. Deactivating this didn't seem to have any effect on my system. I'm running the Windows 7 Home Premium full version with all released updates. Since this problem haven't affected the ASUS users, I just downloaded the chipset drivers from ASUS and installed them. I'll post back here in a few days to report wether it seems to work or not (I'll be running the system in 'Power saver').

EDIT: Have been running the machine in 'Power saver' mode now for 4 days without any freeze. Will continue in this mode for a week or two to see if the problem resurfaces.

EDIT2: Had my first freeze in 11 days and this was when running the system in the so called 'High performance' ;) I guess I forgot to change it back to 'Power saver' after I tested Dawn of War - Soulstorm on this machine (not really playable though...and not really much of a surprise either). This was 3 days ago, which means the system had been running in 'Power saver' in little over a week without freezing up. This is far better than before as it would then freeze multiple times each day. I'll continue to run the system in 'Power saver' and see if the problem resurfaces.

khlea, Nov 9, 2009
  17. maartendq

talkanderson

If you have a system that freezes when you aren't really doing anything in particular -- there is little hope of resolving that with any software patch or peripheral swap. My complaint on the last return was that they did not test the system configured as it was advertised (i.e., 1366x768 full acceleration, power saver mode, etc.). I would say that nothing less than a motherboard swap will fix any system that is experiencing these lockups. You may get a different failure pattern, but if you can't run clean for at least a week then you still have the problem.

FWIW, it's been six days of typical usage and so far no lockups.

talkanderson, Nov 10, 2009
  18. maartendq

Pdam_lux

Greetings my fellow 751 users, I too have had various issues with the netbook with random freezes
    mine has gotten better with the switch to the Hitachi Travelstar 500GB 5400 and the
    2GB DDR2 533MHz PC2-4200 200-PIN SODIMM MEMORY but it still freezes up randomly
    just not good enough !!
    well was on this link on this site so Acer know about a fix but wont tell
    Acer recall 751H denmark viewtopic.php?f=87&t=18421
    I'm pulling my parts out and sending it in for the replacement then we will see what happens next
    all the best ....I have had 4 laptops from acer this is the first one to that i wanted to throw in the toilet
    if they fix it i'll give it to my wife .....next spot Nokia Booklet
    Cheers Pdam

Pdam_lux, Nov 13, 2009
  19. maartendq

DrNo

I recently decided to give Windows 7 a try, and it actually seems as if the final version (NOT the RC build 7100 !!!) does fix the problem after all. While XP and the Windows 7 RC (Release Candidate = The pre-release version of Windows 7) both displayed the same freezing issue (when run without those workarounds discussed in this thread), the Windows 7 version now being sold ("Professional", in my case) does not --> my system is running without any sort of problems (DEP active, graphics adapter running at full acceleration, no workarounds whatsoever).

Have any of you installed Windows 7 and have those (who now use WIn7) experienced a similar improvement?

[Btw.: This really does seem to confirm that the problem is rather driver-related than located within the hardware!]

DrNo, Nov 14, 2009
  20. maartendq

rjon17469

Not the case for me. Been running Windows 7 Pro from the day I got the 751, and have been experiencing consistent issues.

Which graphics driver are you using? The default one?

rjon17469, Nov 14, 2009
Ask a Question