Netbook freezes randomly

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by maartendq, Jul 17, 2009.

1. maartendq

cmeide

Yes, there are plenty of progresses going on in the background even when you are not running any programs. Actually, people often experience the freeze at idle if the programs they usually use seem to work fine.

Recall? Yeah I think everybody who has had this problem would think that was a good idea. There is no no doubt that this netbook was put together in a hurry and thrown out in the market before it was tested properly and the bugs worked out. Even though things looks great on the drawing board, there might always be issues that show up in real life.

From my own experience working in service departments of big companies, if the company does not really focus on that particular problem, its left up to each service technician to work it out and they usually will not have the time/interest/or be allowed to look very deep into the problem.

Who knows how much this really hurts Acer. Maybe just a drop in the ocean?

Anyway, its a sweet little netbook and I love it. Buying a new untested product, I really dont mind doing a little tinkering to get it right, specially looking at the price.

For my part, I would buy Acer again.
    ;)

cmeide, Nov 24, 2009
  2. maartendq

samcat

It's been a learning experience dealing with Acer and I guess that I'm thankful that I'm only out $300 for a poorly designed/broken netbook.

Yes, the 751H (if it worked) would be a nice netbook, but no matter how nice it is in theory, it has a major design flaw and the company is unwilling to step up to the plate and admit this.

Would I buy from Acer again? I doubt it. I would also urge my students and colleagues to think carefully before considering any of this company's products. Acer's products are budget priced, but I guess that you get what you pay for.

samcat, Nov 24, 2009
  3. maartendq

Drjones

Hey guys I've been following this thread for a while, as I used to experience occasional freezes on my 751 - maybe once a week, sometimes more frequent.

Since I did a clean install of windows 7 a month ago, I have not had a single freeze - perhaps a dumb question, but has everyone with freezing issues done a CLEAN install of a new OS, particularly 7?

Drjones, Nov 24, 2009
  4. maartendq

samcat

I have done a clean install for Vista Basic. Had to use a real Vista disk. The machine freezes using the Acer Recovery disks. I have installed all the latest drivers and the BIOS supplied by Acer. The machine still freezes. All I have on the netbook is the Vista Basic operating system and an anti-virus program.

Perhaps more tellingly, the netbook freezes in Safe Mode, which usually points to a hardware problem, rather than a software problem.

If changing to Win 7 works for you, that's great. I don't think that buying Win 7 will solve the problem for me.

samcat, Nov 24, 2009
  5. maartendq

Drjones

That's part of my point in this thread and the other is that I wonder if it is a software issue with vista; an incompatibility between the OS itself and the 751s hardware.

If you have any way of getting a trial copy of 7, perhaps that would work.

Drjones, Nov 24, 2009
  6. maartendq

apple

had tested 4 brands of RAM borrowed from my friends…none of them worked. How lucky I was to get this junk. I should buy a lottery ticket.
    Using GWSCAN did detect errors in the HD. Typing is somewhat ok now, but once I lunch MSN video for conference/chat, it freezes in seconds. And I don’t think it is the problem caused by the HD. Building a junk is not a shame, but it would be a shame that a company does not stand up to clean it up. No apology so far! no single word at all.
    Hearing that it will be on sale on BF. Good luck customers. Hope that you will be lucky enough to pick up those in working condition. But, sorry I guess more and more people will join this forum to complain after BF. ACER do not listen, they just sell.

apple, Nov 24, 2009
  7. maartendq

apple

My is XP...freezes.
    If 7 really works, do you think acer will upgrade it for us? no way I believe.

apple, Nov 24, 2009
  8. maartendq

samcat

Thanks for the suggestion re: win7, but I think that the freezing problem indicates that the hardware is at fault, not the OS. People have tried Win 7 (and various flavors of Linux) and they still have this problem with the computer randomly freezing.

Besides, at this point, I don't want to try to install a new OS and have the stupid machine freeze mid-install. That's a great way to brick the computer.

I'm really thinking of writing a letter to our state's Attorney General's Office. It is obvious that there is a serious design/hardware flaw with this model. Acer needs to be an ethical company and admit it.

Shame on Acer. I thought that you were a better company than this.

samcat, Nov 24, 2009
  9. maartendq

TrackSmart

FACT 1: People have reported the "freezing" problem in Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 (beta and official version), and Linux. In safe-mode, in normal operation, and even while the computer is in sleep mode.

FACT 2: Some people no longer have the problem, yet there is *no single fix* that has worked for everyone
    -Changing memory modules or hard disks has worked and *not worked* for several people.
    -Changing operating systems has worked for at least one person, and *not worked* for many more.
    -Updating the BIOS has worked for some people, and *not worked* for others.
    -Changing drivers to a different version (graphics or other) has worked for a person or two, but not for others.

Basically, there's no telling what will work for your individual system. However, the most reliable fix has been to have the entire motherboard replaced. Only Acer doesn't always do that. Sometimes they just update your BIOS and send it back. Sometimes they replace the hard drive. Total crapshoot.

TrackSmart, Nov 24, 2009
  10. maartendq

apple

For those who have AO751h in a well working condition, have you ever tested it using SKYPE or MSN with videocam? Thanks!!

Acer headquarters in Taiwan claimed that they were not aware of this problem because no people complained it there. How come? I did not believe that Acer over there was totally out of the scenario, especially after I heard that Acer Denmark had started recalling AO751.

Acer Headquarters in Taiwan
    Tel: 886-2-2696-3131, 2696-3232 (English service available)
    Email:[email protected]

I think we should also push them…even just an email…

apple, Nov 24, 2009
  11. maartendq

samcat

FWIW, I have sent in an email to their call center.

samcat, Nov 24, 2009
  12. maartendq

Drjones

I had run skype with video a while ago, after I first got the unit. Vista ran so slowly that it didn't work very well at all, but my machine did not freeze.

Drjones, Nov 24, 2009
  13. maartendq

c921

Having owned 3 AO75H1, sent it 3 times for repair, I believe its the MOTHERBOARD.
    I have tested mine for about a few days now after Acer have repaired it and have been opening all kinds of programs, applications, skype, google chrome... I didn't experience any freeze unlike before.
    Before it freezed when I scroll down, its idle, when using skpe, in safe mode etc. Now, I don't experience it anymore.
    There's someone here also experienced the same thing. When acer replaced his motherboard, everything worked well.
    So to those of you who are still experiencing freezing issues, I suggest you to use your warranty and have your motherboard replaced.
    Its wise to have it repaired than wasting your money for a useless non-working netbook. You only have a year from your purchase date to have it repaired, remember that.

c921, Nov 25, 2009
  14. maartendq

talkanderson

20 days and counting -- replacing the motherboard appears to be a solid solution. I've had no glitches, no freezes, no system reboots, no system crashes, no bad things at all. Vista Home Basic, 2GB, 250GBHDD (WDC), no bluetooth though. On power, or batteries, installed wireless mouse, installed Chrome and tons of other software with autoupdate enabled without any problems.

If you have ANY lockup running ANY OS, then you have a bad system and you need to send it to Acer for repairs. A software update will only mask the problem -- or avoid it by altering some performance aspect of the system. I am running all the latest drivers (but was doing that before as well). I'm beginning to gain some confidence in this machine (but I will probably never buy an Acer again).

talkanderson, Nov 25, 2009
  15. maartendq

capactus

I finally found the solution to this problem and it turned out to be quite simple.

After 2 repares I sold mine on the internet and the freezes stopped :eek:

I mentioned this problem when I sold it, but the buyer was sure he would fix it. Good luck to him. And good luck to all of you. I hope there will be a recall or something, so you all have proper working netbooks.

Cheers

capactus, Nov 25, 2009
  16. maartendq

aspergerian

A bit off topic, but when I bought my 1410, an upgrade to windows 7 was part of the sales pitch. Acer was able to ship Gateway restore disks in a timely manner, but the w7 upgrade disks have been lost somewhere in the marketing process known as Acer. Perhaps Acer's staff is too busy fixing 751 problems. Perhaps Acer didn't anticipate that some individuals would actually like to have converted to w7 within a reasonable time after purchase. Warning people about Acer does not seem unreasonable.

aspergerian, Nov 25, 2009
  17. maartendq

cmeide

I have actually put out watchers in several internet markedplaces in my area looking for cheap 751s. So far though, there has'nt been many.
    Its a perfect netbook to get for my GF and several family members.
    Nothing is like getting something cheap and fixing it. ;)

cmeide, Nov 25, 2009
  18. maartendq

sb-er

I also sent an e-mail to Acer HQ. I will return today mine to the shop I've purchased it before 10 days. Hopefully they will give me a good not freezing one or fix this one...! :(

sb-er, Nov 26, 2009
  19. maartendq

perkimon

Re: Netbook freezes randomly [ FREEZE TEST ]

I have found a test that makes my Acer 751 freeze every time. To do this test you need firefox installed.

1: In firefox open a busy website like http://bbc.co.uk then right click on the page and click 'view source'.
    2: Using the track pad or a plugged in mouse click and hold the vertical scroller or horizontal scroller and go up/down OR left/right at a medium to fast pace.

My acer 751 freezes within about 5 seconds. Now you may say 'just dont do that in firefox' but my job is web development and I need to do this all the time. Sometimes it even happens in my text editor. I think this is a massive problem and I am going to take my 751 back to the shop and demonstrate this problem.

Let me know if you can freeze your netbooks too!

Cheers

perkimon, Nov 26, 2009
  20. maartendq

perkimon

Re: Netbook freezes randomly [ FREEZE TEST ]

Actually using that website didn't make my system crash! Try http://marotori.com/interactive.php and view source then scroll up and down fast.

perkimon, Nov 26, 2009
Ask a Question