Netbook freezes randomly

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by maartendq, Jul 17, 2009.

1. maartendq

Netbroke

I don't believe the 751h has the option in the BIOS to disable SpeedStep. When I had mine, however, I locked the CPU at various speeds to see what result I would get via software. I noted no difference when locking the CPU at 800Mhz or 1.3Ghz, it always froze within a few minutes of Google Earthing.

The person above who said Acer's chat support said we're all making up stories and the 751h's have no problems? That just goes to show you how knowledgeable Acer employees really are. Dealing with Acer support can be just as frustrating as the freezing problem itself.

I finally have myself a lock-free Netbook though. Here's what I did:

1st) Returned the P.O.S. A0751h-1948 for a refund

2nd) Bought a Lenovo s10-series and am delighted with it

I wash my hands of anything Acer from here on out :roll:

Netbroke, Feb 3, 2010
  2. maartendq

mset

Yeah, me too :D ... but i will and i never buy a crap acer again..

mset, Feb 4, 2010
  3. maartendq

brewcrew69

If trying the IRQ Priority in Windows XP set Priority 1 to IRQ16, as IRQ8, which is set for the High Precision Event Timer, doesn't do anything as XP doesn't support HPET, so IRQ8 isn't using anything, its a dummy listing

brewcrew69, Feb 4, 2010
  4. maartendq

Bramster

From the Google Earth website:
    PC System Configuration
    Minimum:
    Operating System: Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Vista
    CPU: Pentium 3, 500Mhz
    System Memory (RAM): 256MB
    Hard Disk: 400MB free space
    Network Speed: 128 Kbits/sec
    Graphics Card: 3D-capable with 16MB of VRAM
    Screen: 1024x768, "16-bit High Color" - DirectX 9 (to run in Direct X mode)

Looks like being able to run it for 30 seconds is already a good score. :D

Bramster, Feb 4, 2010
  5. maartendq

samcat

Wow! Is that true? Are the customer service people now saying that the freezing problem on the 751H doesn't exist? What do they think is happening, a mass delusion?

Either they are very incompetent or very dishonest. How do they explain the pages and pages of complaints on this forum?

I guess that I will just chalk it up as another reason to avoid Acer and all their subsidiaries (like Gateway). If you are thinking of purchasing any Acer product, do re-read this forum carefully. You might want to consider other brands instead.

samcat, Feb 5, 2010
  6. maartendq

mmad

I dont know about anyone else, but when using High Performance mode on Windows 7, I dont get any freezing at all. But switching down to balanced or power saver and opening like 5 tabs in Google Chrome causes a crash. Doing the same whilst using High Performance hasn't caused any freezes for me, and its been a good few hours. Could someone else try it out?

mmad, Feb 6, 2010
  7. maartendq

Mandal

I would if I could access the control panel where the performance mode is adjusted. But the button is grayed out :( - Which driver are u using?

Mandal, Feb 6, 2010
  8. maartendq

mmad

All the latest ones on the Acer website at present. And I'm sorry to say but it froze on me a few minutes ago so... false alarm people :(.

mmad, Feb 6, 2010
  9. maartendq

DDjimakos

very good thank's thats works for me very well :) i done only that Howto : Create DWord value (named ‘IRQ#Priority) in ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl’
    no other modification win xp sp2. 1gb ram everthing stock and no more freezing prblems,i let the netbook for days open running applications,google earth,etc and no freezing :D :D :D

thanks again and sorry for my english.

DDjimakos, Feb 10, 2010
  10. maartendq

activea

Hello,

I have the same problem with this bloody !@#!@ Acer laptop.. I installed windows 7 ultimate 32bit with the latest intel vga drivers 2020, upgraded bios to the latest version and also inserted in regedit->HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl -> DWORD: IRQ8Priority = 1

When i run Google Earth after a few secs/minutes of navigation to the program, the system freezes...

Of course i went to an Acer Service Provider here in Greece.. and they changed my hard drive..
    After the Acer service the problem is still here :(

I'll try changing RAM modules as documented above and see if this will stop the problem...

I found this: http://www.fishmemory.net/list.php?lid=2256

There is says <<Disable Hardware Acceleration of the Graphics Card>> Does anyone knows how to do it?

Does anyone fixed this strange problem at the end? How?

Thanks a lot..

activea, Feb 12, 2010
  11. maartendq

Pytheas

Hi Activea,

you can right-click on the desktop -> display properties -> Options and you have to untick the "Enable Hardware Acceleration" (I am not 100% sure, since the menu is in Greek and I am not sure about the correct English terms).

I still get very occasional freezes, so I am almost sure that they will do nothing in the service. Unless they (Acer) find the exact problem, they will keep experimenting on our netbooks exchanging parts (such as RAM modules, Hard disks and motherboard, if we are lucky enough!). I really cannot do without my netbook, as I am already in the same "we-do-nothing-that-solves-the-problem" situation (poor service) for my tx-1110us laptop from HP. :(

Pytheas, Feb 12, 2010
  12. maartendq

jorden1

THANKS !

I THINK IT HAS SOLVED it
    turning graphics under troubleshoot t ab could well be the answer

NO PROBLEM WITH VIDEO And WORD SO FAR !

*** ACER HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT THE FIX !

jorden1, Feb 16, 2010
  13. maartendq

Pytheas

I wish it was as simple as that...everyone would be happy!
    It may help with reducing the occurrence of freezings, but it sure wasn't the complete solution to me (and many others, as I have read in this forum).

Good luck anyway and keep us informed!

Pytheas, Feb 17, 2010
  14. maartendq

jorden1

jorden1, Feb 18, 2010
  15. maartendq

Nissan_350Z

was there ever a fix to this?

Nissan_350Z, Feb 18, 2010
  16. maartendq

Guest Guest

Well, after two months, here I am again.
    Acer fixed my problem immediately after I sent them a complaint last week. How did they do? They sent me a brand new 751, not affected by the problem. It came with the Hitachi hdd, while the old one came with the Seagate.
    Finally my netbook works...
    If you'd like to know more details, please ask.
    GT

Guest, Feb 19, 2010
  17. maartendq

ulissesbr

they only changed the HD to Hitachi?

Should i do this?

ulissesbr, Feb 19, 2010
  18. maartendq

Nissan_350Z

i dont know if that would be a fix or not.. i have the Hitachi hard disk drive and i'm getting random lockups.. but only when doing something intensive such as calling on skype or webcam and such..

Nissan_350Z, Feb 19, 2010
  19. maartendq

The__Saint

Happy to report that the problem was solved after replacing the memory module.
    The one that came with the netbook was 1GB PC2-6400 DDR2 SODIMM, the one I did put in is 1GB PC2-5700 DDR2 SODIMM.
    It is running for 4 day already nonstop without freezing, before that I left it 24h playing avi files - no problems whatsoever!
    Cheers!

The__Saint, Feb 20, 2010
  20. maartendq

jorden1

IM still running windows XP .. was told Windows 7 is heaps faster on this one ..

1 GB RAM ... stopped the freezing by lowering my screen resolution and even punched a couple of holes under the RAM module ...

its fullly covered up and was getting VERY HOT .. no more freezing for a few days now !

jorden1, Feb 21, 2010
Ask a Question