Netbook freezes randomly

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by maartendq, Jul 17, 2009.

1. maartendq

WRD

Consistent freezes

Hi All,
    Got my A0751h back from Acer Texas a week ago. This was the 2nd time I have returned it for freeze ups. They replaced the motherboard, memory and a number of other pieces. It is a 1G ram/160G HD/XP Home SP3. First freeze up since return was during a YouTube video, then on a normal shut down, now whenever I use the webcam in Windows Movie Maker. I have the latest BIOS, the latest Intel GMA500 driver, latest webcam software from Acer. I have shut off ALL video acceleration (I did it in steps, from FULL acceleration, to NONE, all exhibit the same freeze pattern.) So here is the sequence:
    Run MovieMaker
    Select Capture from a video device
    Use Next until you get to the preview screen

My A0751H will not show the preview webcam screen for more than 2 minutes without freezing. Is there a work-around or should I send this thing back again?
    Thanks,
    Billl

WRD, Mar 11, 2010
  2. maartendq

surinpon

This solution not working for me. i also use win7 ultimate - 32 bits as you.

surinpon, Mar 13, 2010
  3. maartendq

Pytheas

It's not working for me either... I am using Windows 7 Pro, GMA driver 2023 and BIOS 3211 but I still get these really occasional freezes (about 2-3 a week).
    Freezes so occasional that I am afraid that it won't happen during the service, so I will waste my time. My only hope is a recall by Acer, in order to have my motherboard replaced.

Shadz I think you were rushed to claim that it was fixed. I really hope you've got it right, but I want your feedback anyway to see what's going on. The worst thing is that we're still not sure if the problem is hardware or software related...

Pytheas, Mar 13, 2010
  4. maartendq

Netbroke

I really think the less informed need to stop announcing things they "think" fix the issue. There is a reason this issue is such a pain, it's intermittent. Meaning, it's very difficult to pin point and difficult to reproduce, especially when you may WANT it to show up.

Testing your computer for a few minutes doing something that froze it before with a new update is completely useless. Please, "test" your machine for a good length of time before posting here, so far no software trick or update has fixed the issue and I'd be highly suspect if little Jimmy comes on here for a minute and says update 900,000a fixes the problem, YAYAAYAYA!!! Acer FTW!!! :roll:

If you want to fix it for good, get a different Netbook. You may also pray that Acer support replaces your system board with one that doesn't lock the system, which is also difficult to do as it seems.

The one thing I think we can all mostly agree on is that Acer sucks. I know I will never grace them with my money ever again. Not to mention they still DENY there is any problem with any 751h. :evil:

Netbroke, Mar 13, 2010
  5. maartendq

WRD

Could someone else try...

Hi,
    Could anyone else with random freezes try the webcam-Windows Movie Maker preview screen. Just get MovieMaker to display the webcam preview, you know the little live picture window from the webcam, then set your watch for 5 minutes.

After 5 minutes check to see if the webcam screen is still active, or your computer is frozen. Mine freezes EVERY time, independent of video acceleration setting. I must have tried this ten times. This is with a brand new Acer installed motherboard and memory also.

Please post your results! Thanks, Bill

WRD, Mar 14, 2010
  6. maartendq

JamesDax

Whatever smartass. My netbook hasn't frozen in surveral weeks so I feel confident in saying that my freezing issue is fixed.

JamesDax, Mar 14, 2010
  7. maartendq

shadz

Yeah, I was wrong, and you guys are right, unfortunately. My netbook wasn't frosing after many tests, but tomorrow I started to write a text on word and... **** ACER!!! SHIT! THE big freezes came back. =/////

If I have more money, I would give this litle shit to the sharks. >=(

You guys know if Acer has a RMA support service? I think this is the unique solution for it. Dammit! I live in Brazil, and I will pay a lot to send it to the US. ='(

This "fix" is for Linux, isn't not?

shadz, Mar 14, 2010
  8. maartendq

SMOKINGDANE

I have my acer 751 11,6 sendt too acer europe (acer-euro) in sommerda germany it only took 15 days incl.transportation they replaced my motherboard and now its 6days since i got it return and i have not turnit off thesse 6 days and it has not been frozen not even one time.The decribsen of the mb.they have changes is MAINBD.ZA3.W/CPU.1.6/3G/BT and its working super now

SMOKINGDANE, Mar 14, 2010
  9. maartendq

mas2743

After reading all this thread and trying some of the ideas to fix the problem I decided to phone acer support.

They did the usual and made me restore back to factory setting but the freezing issue still ocurred.

After contacting acer again they kindly picked it up via DHL. Even the DHL guy knew about lots of returned acer laptops for repair.

Anyway two week later it arrived well packaged and they stated they have replaced the mother board.

I have been running it now on WinXP home doing lots of tests, like playing HD films, internet, downloading stuff etc. and it has been perfect.

Anyone who has this problem I would just send it back to acer. I would suspect they must know what the issue is now!!

Also on the F2, bootup shows that the processor is now a INTEL ATOM Z530, BIOS v0.3222. These are clocked at 1.6ghz and this shows up on the system details under control panel.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=35463

So I am very happy. I got the laptop I wanted and now works and seems to have a better processor. The performance def seems better.

mas2743, Mar 15, 2010
  10. maartendq

Pytheas

Once upon a time, the successor of the 751h was announced, featuring a Z530 CPU. Unfortunately it seems that itnever got into the production line. However, there is a chance that some motherboards were already produced, same size with the 751h ones but featuring the Z530 CPU. Since they weren't used until now, maybe there is a stock available for the repair centers!

Anyway, thank you for sharing this information with us and good luck with the repair lucky guy! :)

Pytheas, Mar 15, 2010
  11. maartendq

gsearle

For those new to the discussion - return it if you can

This is just for those who are new to this discussion. I assume you are here because your new netbook is feezing.

If your netbook still falls under the store's return policy, then return it... Now! Don't wait. Get something else. It's really not worth the hassle.

gsearle, Mar 15, 2010
  12. maartendq

error404

I'm almost thinking that this is a power management issue. If you look at my topic in this forum about the Repair Center, it looks like that section of the board had burnt out. I could be wrong but thats what it seems like to me

error404, Mar 18, 2010
  13. maartendq

jorden1

BlackKnight said :
    Predominantly it *does* seem to go when scrolling, but earlier I left it on whilst it was defragging, went out for 40 mins and it was dead when I got back (screen saver stuck on screen)

I've just installed AA1FanControl and set it to start the fan at 50C (i.e. all the time), and I'll keep an eye to see if it goes at a set temperature.

NOT SURE if TEMPERATURE is the problem ! I have the same problem where it freezes EVEN IF JUST LEFT ON.
    BUT I was using it under the sun for 2 hours and no freeze.
    Then i open a word document and BANG IT FROZE. I adjusted the display to 16 bit and seems to be helping .. but looks like a cpu / motherboard compatibility issue.

TOUGHEST ONE TO SOLVE (GET CSI )

jorden1, Mar 18, 2010
  14. maartendq

DinglDanglBob

My experience is as follows:

I have had at least one freeze a day, very often two or more.

4 month ago, I changed memory from the factory default 1GB to a 2GB module. Since this time, I NEVER had any freeze again and the Netbook runs faster than before…

DinglDanglBob, Mar 18, 2010
  15. maartendq

Pytheas

Could you please share any more information about the memory modules (previous and new)? The more information you share, the more people you may help!

Pytheas, Mar 19, 2010
  16. maartendq

DinglDanglBob

Sorry for being sketchy with my previous post..
    Here are more details:

The old memory module was a SAMSUNG 1GB 2Rx16 PC2-5300S-555-12-A3.

The new one, which prevents me from the freeze problem is the:

CORSAIR SO-DIMM 2GB DDR2 667MHz (VS2GSD667D2)
    Here is a link to the corsair online shop with more info: http://tinyurl.com/yzcpxwj

B.t.w: I still running on Windows XP.

Hope this info helps…

DinglDanglBob, Mar 19, 2010
  17. maartendq

Island Boy

The following fix should help if the netboook still freezes 2-3times a week even after doing the normal 751h troubleshooting. http://www.fishmemory.net/list.php?lid=2256

Did you see the part......
    Change IRQ priority.
    IRQ8 top priority
    IRQ16 is second and IRQ17 is third.

Did not help ME a dam, BUT it does point us in the right direction.
    The motherboard need to “speak” to more than just the GPU & the Wi-Fi.

( netboook freeze probability increase as it try to “speak” more & more components all at the same time e.g. GPU, Wi-Fi, track-pad, sound-card, wed-cam, card reader, USB mouse, cell-phone to USB Internet, Flash-Drive......)

Setting GPU & the Wi-Fi IRQ priority are a start...but we also need to “stagger” the priority the other components we use......and maybe disable the ones we don't. (The Network adapter, Wi-Fi & wed-cam are disable on MY netboook)

Sound-card & track-pad priority setting seem to super important. Mine are set to 5 & 7.

All my setting (working process) so far (N.B. Not bulletproof)

http://i39.tinypic.com/2edyyr8.jpg

If you have better setting please share them.
    If you think I am on the wrong track, share that too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On a different note here some commonsense tips to avoid netboook freeze.

1; Use the "space key" to pause video playback before you use track-pad or mouse.
    2; If possible pause music (or video) before file transfers (USB or card reader)

p.s. cool app for track-pad
    http://code.google.com/p/two-finger-scroll/

Island Boy, Mar 20, 2010
  18. maartendq

surinpon

surinpon, Mar 20, 2010
  19. maartendq

Island Boy

More commonsense tips to avoid netboook freeze. I just thought these N.B. NOT TESTED THEM YET.

3; Try to stroll web pages with keyboard as much as possible. (Down arrow, Page down key......)

4; "Netboook freeze probability increase as it (the motherboard) try to “speak” more & more components all at the same time"

If the above is true it might be better (less freeze probability) to a USB-hub & a USB-mouse in the netboook's LEFT USB ports (the motherboard should see 1 component); than left & right USB ports + track-pad (3 components) at the same time.
    N.B. The Netboook motherboard sees both left USB ports as 1 component.

Island Boy, Mar 20, 2010
  20. maartendq

pizzikoku

Hi. My netbook freezes few times in a week (using the netbook to surf the web 1,5 hours in a day) always with the same scheme:
    1) it always freezes 2-4 min after opening any page in this site (but the homepage):
    http://tiny.cc/2j7cs
    2) it always freezes during the first reboot after freeze at point 1
    3) from 2nd reboot, no more problems (except repeating the point 1)
    I hope this can help someone to find a solution or to reproduce systematically the malfunction.

pizzikoku, Mar 21, 2010
Ask a Question