Netbook freezes randomly

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by maartendq, Jul 17, 2009.

1. maartendq

CaMoTe

dang!!!

thanks comms...

i ran a skype call and a little over 20mins into the call, it froze... :(

i had the prime95 running in the background and my yahoo messenger on as well, but i wasn't using it...

i wonder if there is a permanent fix for this... acer should be sued for this, it's causing undue injury... we shouldn't even be worrying about how to solve this ourselves!!!

they should be the one doing this... :evil:

CaMoTe, Sep 10, 2010
  2. maartendq

CaMoTe

this is hopeless.. :cry:

CaMoTe, Sep 10, 2010
  3. maartendq

CaMoTe

just as i posted the last message, it froze again... i just clicked on start, then it froze... :evil:

this is really out of hand...

CaMoTe, Sep 10, 2010
  4. maartendq

commsmonkey

There are suggestions in here as to how to handle Acer to repair it.
    Have a look at all my posts for a start - they chronicle my path to successful resolution.

regards,

Comms

commsmonkey, Sep 10, 2010
  5. maartendq

CaMoTe

hi comms...
    did you send them a message on the acer heldesk prior to your sending the unit back? i'm drafting a message for me to send to them right now and i was wondering if you could share the "request" you sent them...
    and how long before they got it back to you after you sent it to them for the last time??
    thanks comms....

CaMoTe, Sep 10, 2010
  6. maartendq

DDjimakos

hmmm :?: may the version of your setfsb is not 100% compatible with the netbook ;)
    try this version 2.2.117.88

i had some little problems with newer versions too ;)
    i hope that work for you!!!!!

DDjimakos, Sep 10, 2010
  7. maartendq

commsmonkey

Mine:
    viewtopic.php?f=87&t=16164&start=900#p117401

Freezers:
    viewtopic.php?f=87&t=16164&start=920#p117537

Both received successful repairs (mainboard replacements)

Regards,

Comms

commsmonkey, Sep 11, 2010
  8. maartendq

CaMoTe

thanks much comms...

this is what i sent them, hopefully i'll get a response by tomorrow since i sent it over the weekend...

CaMoTe, Sep 11, 2010
  9. maartendq

flyboyqw

Thanks, that did the trick for me as well. My Acer Aspire One (model ZA3) was freezing randomly on average about once every few days. Mostly while scrolling through web and word pages. Also it froze using skype. One guaranteed way to freeze it was to run a certain copy-protected video I have. It doesn't freeze with the SetFSB fix so it is looking really promising. I haven't tried skype yet though... Oh and the latest version of SetFSB gives me an error as well. This version does work:
    http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/downloa ... 117_88.zip

flyboyqw, Sep 15, 2010
  10. maartendq

MadCroc

DDjimakos
    flyboyqw

Could u guys tell me what the programm does? Am i gonna have to do this procedure after every turning off my netbook? What's about re-instal Windows, does it matter? Cause seems like it works.

MadCroc, Sep 16, 2010
  11. maartendq

GuHaid

MadCroc, Have a look in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=15935
    It contains some info on that program and also (from memory) how to make the changes permanent.

GuHaid, Sep 17, 2010
  12. maartendq

GuHaid

I am back in Oz and had a look at the service report. All that was done was a factory reset. For the second time. ARGH!! Will contact customer service yet again. I am quite disappointed as you can imagine.

GuHaid, Sep 17, 2010
  13. maartendq

MadCroc

GuHaid, thanks for the link. I got answers.

So, i've reinstaled my OS (Win7) and overclocked the netbook. Seems like the problem's really gone. Whole next week i'm gonna be testing it and praying that my sufferings are over.

UPD. Sadly but the problem still has its place after 3 hours of normal using. :| Playing with Mhzs doesn't work. Also I may play with memory options but i'm afraid it's gonna be the same.

MadCroc, Sep 20, 2010
  14. maartendq

villasbill

Update--Uninstalled the trial version of McAfee 2 weeks ago and prior to installing NIS Netbook edition I ran Prime95 in Safe Mode for 24 hours with no problems detected. Have only had one freeze up in last 6 weeks since upgrading from 1GB of RAM to a 2GB Crucial chip.
    The freeze up happened when coming out of Standby but I have also seen this happen on other laptops so no big deal,I used to get 2 freezes a week from scrolling on websites. Also for anyone who is interested NIS is a MAJOR improvement over McAfee, uses a lot less memory and resources. McAfee used to slow everything down to a crawl at times.
    Just posting this info in case anyone can use it,your mileage may vary. Upgrading memory hasn't worked for some on here but so far it is a big improvement for me!!

villasbill

villasbill, Sep 28, 2010
  15. maartendq

CaMoTe

i have contacted acer two weeks ago and they said an onsite technician will come to me, but so far, no one has visited me yet...

i was told on my service ticket that should i not hear from them within 7 days, to give them a call... thing is, i've been calling but my call always gets dropped even when i was calling during business hours...

anyway, i sent a message today, this time to their customer service unit and got a prompt response saying they were terribly sorry blah blah, and that i will get a call from the technician shortly. i am hoping to hear from the technician within the day...

customer service also says that according to their system, the technician already received the necessary parts, so i reply asking how the technician will got the parts when he haven't even seen the unit yet.. the response i got was "The parts ordered for each repair and determined from the fault description provided. Multiple parts are provided to ensure that the technician is properly equipped for a successful and efficient repair."

will see...

CaMoTe, Sep 29, 2010
  16. maartendq

CaMoTe

my problem with this is why you need to overclock your processor when you should have been given a working unit to begin with.. what about those who are not techies and have no idea how to overclock their processors...

the trouble is just unacceptable...

CaMoTe, Sep 29, 2010
  17. maartendq

GuHaid

I have been quiet for a while now here, so this is my update. I was contacted by Acer and also told that an engineer would be visiting me to resolve the issue. As much as I appreciate this gesture, I knew that it was pretty futile. What would the engineer do with a unit that now and then freezes?

Anyway, the gentleman came over and he was not only extremely nice but also technically extremely competent and really willing to do anything he could to resolve the problem. The amazing bit to me was that not only he, but anybody he called at Acer or any data base he accessed, did not know of this issue. Their global knowledge base (as I understood it) had nothing regarding the freezing issue on the 751h. So I showed him the Wikipedia entry, this forum and thread and the search suggestions in Google when typing "Acer 751h". He was quite amazed.

I mentioned that a motherboard change to one with the Atom Z530 CPU seemed to be something that has worked in the past. So he said he would order one of those and took the unit with him and promised he would take care 0f it.

Yesterday I had a call from Acer telling me that they had problems sourcing this board and whether I agreed to a replacement unit. I agreed to either waiting for the new board or a replacement - whatever would fix the problem. So that is the current status. Will post updates.

GuHaid, Sep 29, 2010
  18. maartendq

CaMoTe

@GuHaid
    this is disturbing... how can they not know about this issue when it's all over the net... i'm sure a lot of other complaints are not reported online... besides, they had a recall in denmark...
    how long did you have a wait before the technician paid you a visit??? and did they say how long it would take for them to get it fixed?
    this is just frustrating.. :(

CaMoTe, Sep 29, 2010
  19. maartendq

GuHaid

CaToMe,
    I agree that it is surprising that the issue seems to be unknown to Acer itself. Having said that, the recall in Denmark is, although present in Wikipedia, not verified. The link in wiki referring to the source of that recall is not accessible to me here in Australia and a search around does not give much many other links than that one in Wiki. I have actually contacted Acer Denmark and asked whether this recall had happened but I could not get past Level 1 who basically told me that there are no current recalls and that for the unit with my serial number Acer Australia was to be contacted. So I am not so sure about the recall and its validity.

But you are right, a lot of things point at this issue being way bigger than just us, a handful of disgruntled but very vocal people here in this thread. Hard to believe that it has not made it into higher levels inside Acer. The technician while in my house actually called the man in charge of all netbook (or was it notebook?) related issues in Australia - and he had not heard of a freeze problem on the 751h.

From the time of acknowledgement that a technician would come out to see me to the time he showed up at my door was only a day or two. Now it has been back with Acer for a few days and as I said they are deciding on whether to wait for the motherboard or provide a replacement unit. I always told them that there was no rush at all for me to get the 751 back (but a need to fix the problem).

GuHaid, Sep 29, 2010
  20. maartendq

CaMoTe

i still have to receive a call from the technician to arrange what time he will be visiting...

at any rate, in my case, i need a quick fix of my problem as i need the unit for school works and these coming weeks would be report writing season for submissions for the term...

it is just frustrating losing thought and momentum while writing when you need to start over again due to your computer crashing... had two crashes just writing this post...

CaMoTe, Sep 30, 2010
Ask a Question