Netbook freezes randomly

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by maartendq, Jul 17, 2009.

1. maartendq

schildry

I had the freezing problem as well, 1-2 times a day, in word, skype and sometimes even when Idle... My touchpad also often crashed by the way.

My "solution": during bios update it frooze, leaving the unit completely useless, only power button would switch on, nothing else....

The unit is still under warranty, so i returned it for repair;
    they replaced the mainboard with a Z530 type "(Main BD.E3H.W/CPU-Z530.NON 3G)", updated the bios (v03212) and "adjusted DMI" whatever that means.

I have had no freezes since (touch wood) that was 3 days ago and used it intensively.
    Even did some tests with setFSB and got it to 1.8 GHz (and even 2GHz) without problem. (not running it OC'ed for normal use by the way)

So what could(!) work if your unit is still under warranty, and you're desperate for a solution (and can miss it for a few weeks):
    flash bios, interrupt during flash ("brick it", by removing the battery...) and return for warranty...
    Not sure if they will always perform the same repair though, YMMV

Good luck!

schildry, Oct 3, 2010
  2. maartendq

CaMoTe

@schildry

hi shildry, where are you at???

i don't understand how to "brick" the bios... how do you flash it??

i still have to get a visit from the technician promised me.. i followed up last friday but all the CSO told me was that i am scheduled for a visit but can't say when...

btw, my ao751 freezes more than that... i almost always expect it to freeze a number of times whenever i use it... and it doesn't matter what i'm doing.. it just does...

CaMoTe, Oct 3, 2010
  3. maartendq

schildry

Netherlands

Then doing this is not advisable, however it means not only bricking the BIOS, but the complete netbook. It will become unusable after, not doing anything at all.
    So anyway make sure to backup all data first and have a spare laptop to work on...

In that case I would just wait for the Technician and try to convince him that it is a faulty unit which needs motherboard replacement.
    Would help if you could "demonstrate" freezing with Skype, Giral Scrolling in Word or Google maps or similar.

schildry, Oct 3, 2010
  4. maartendq

CaMoTe

i've been to netherlands 6 times this year.. but only through schipol while awaiting connection.. hahaha...

anyway, would you know from your end whether the denmark recall is true???

and i would be interested to learn how to "brick" the unit if only to bring a permanent solution to my problem...

CaMoTe, Oct 3, 2010
  5. maartendq

schildry

The only thing from the Denmark recall I know is from the topic from this forum...

Bricking is easy, and normally very strongly advised against :)

find the applicable BIOS-update file for the 751H on the Acer website, start the application that comes with it to update the BIOS (i.e. flash the BIOS chip)
    This proces takes several minutes. During the proces, say after 30 seconds, unplug the power cable AND take of the battery, and voilĂ ; there's a totally unusable machine that is often reffered to as "brick".

Best to backup everyting first and make very sure you still have unexpired warranty first!

schildry, Oct 3, 2010
  6. maartendq

freezer

If you "brick" the netbook, do you think ACER will know? Also, will it violate the warranty? I was totally thinking about this before they fixed my netbook. It sort of makes sense to "brick" the netbook, since in reality the only proper way of fixing the computer is replacing the old motherboard and CPU anyway......which would mean throwing away the old motherboard and CPU.

freezer, Oct 4, 2010
  7. maartendq

schildry

That is a good question, It could well be that they do not accept this BIOS-problem under warranty. In my case they did but that is no garantee.
    So therefore you better try to arrange it with the technician, only when that does'nt work out and you're ready to throw the towel, this could be something to try.

schildry, Oct 4, 2010
  8. maartendq

CaMoTe

i don't remember the warranty excepting bios issues... and my warranty runs out in december, but the customer representative said that she extended my warranty for 3months to make up for "lost time"... i just don't know if that applies to the ITW...

it would be nice if the technician will agree to "bricking" the unit on purpose...

@GuHaid
    any news from acer boss???

CaMoTe, Oct 5, 2010
  9. maartendq

houleed

I own 2 Acer Aspire A0751h 11.6" Netbooks and they both freeze. I also own 2 10" D150 Acer Netbooks that work perfectly.
    My main problem is with Skype video calls that make the netbooks freeze frequently, secondary is a freezing problem when using Internet Explorer and Word.
    I have consulted a lawyer and aim to take legal action. Write me and tell me your story, email: [email protected]
    but for now read on please.
    I've done 6 Windows XP installs that included the A0751h system restore, using the D150 restore DVD, a Windows XP manual install and manually installing all drivers, downloading drivers from Intel and Realtek, disabling components, and updating the BIOS to version 3212. At times it appeared that the netbooks were working well, but not so fast. FREEZE and FREEZE!!!
    While searching the internet for some clues, I found one where the user stated that Acer replaced the motherboard with BIOS version 3202 and the netbook was working fine. After having tried everything, I flashed the BIOS to version 3202 and for 7 hours of Skype video calls no problem. But then again the curse, frozen. Now it worked better but even 1 freeze every 3 or 4 days is unsatisfactory.
    I called Acer and they said the problem was Skype! I said it was hardware, but they refused to repair my one netbook still covered under warranty.
    I had hoped that BIOS version 3202 would at least limit the freezes to occasionally (once a month) but no such luck.
    WARNING, there are several posts that stated that flashing the BIOS resulted in failure and the netbooks were unuseable.
    Yesterday I ran 2 diagnostic programs (one from Intel). One netbook with BIOS version 3206, the result was the CPU Core Speed of 789.1Mhz BUS Speed 133.0MHz and FSB 532.1 and the netbook with BIOS version 3202, the result was the CPU Core Speed of 744.6Mhz BUS Speed 124.1MHz and FSB 496.4.
    Very interesting that Acer is playing with these speeds and had 7 BIOS upgrades in 9 months. My conclusion is that the problem is the motherboard!!!

houleed, Oct 5, 2010
  10. maartendq

BadenPowell

Ok, just wanted to post a message since I have a very good experience with Acer support.
    I own an Netbook A0751h which I bought from a Colleague, since it also had the "freeze"-issue.

After reading this forum and trying all the solutions provided, I came to one conclusion -> Motherboard needs to be replaced.

Thus I submitted through the Dutch Acer support site an RMA request.
    At the site it appeared the netbook was just out of warranty, but I went ahead and created the case anyway.
    After that I called Acer support and explained that I did not have the receipt and was according to their site just out of warranty.
    (For safety measures I recorded the call) The support desk was very friendly and explained that it was still within Factory warranty and that it was not a problem.

I received a UPS sticker which I put on my box and shipped the netbook _free of charge_ to Acer.
    Attached was a letter in which I very explicitly stated that I tried all the options and referred to this forum.
    I also said that I was expecting a motherboard replacement.

Shortly after (approx 1,5 week) I received the Acer back with a note that they have replaced the motherboard + memory.
    They even left my custom Windows 7 installation intact!

I am now surfing / smooth scrolling / google earth / skyping the entire evening without any freezes!

A big thank you to Acer support and the way they handled this!!!
    With this support, my next laptop / notebook is definitely an Acer!

BadenPowell, Oct 5, 2010
  11. maartendq

CaMoTe

just got a visit from an acer technician...

he brought a motherboard with him so he replaced my motherboard... but it was the same kind, Z520, 1.33GHz... i was hoping it was the Z530, but it wasn't... i'm going to use this like normal and hope they got it right this time...

will post updates...

@badenpowell,
    you a scout? :)

CaMoTe, Oct 6, 2010
  12. maartendq

houleed

This Aspire One A0751h freezing problem is cronic. The first post was Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:35 pm, 15 months ago.
    How many netbooks are now out of warranty with this freezing problem??? The only true solution seems to be a new motherboard, but there are many who have had the motherboards replaced over time and still have problems.
    I have two 11.6" Aspire One A0751h netbooks and they both freeze regularly with Skype video calls, one is out of warranty and the other in warranty Acer refuses to repair. I am not prepared to throw-away a new computer or use one that constantly freezes which will one day complicate the problem when Windows decides not to boot.
    My solution is legal action and I am initiating a Class Action lawsuit against Acer in Italy, where I live. I can prove that the problem is hardware simply with the BIOS changes Acer made and how the CPU and motherboard speeds change which does effect the freezing intervals.
    I am in my suit asking that Acer properly repair or substatute my netbooks and those who join my Class Action. When I win my action will pave-the-way for lawsuits around the world, or perhaps Acer will own-up and take responsibility and help everyone, including those out-of-warranty. This is no game to me and my intention is to help everyone and at no cost to anyone except myself and my lawyer.
    Write to me and give me your info, email: [email protected] or [email protected]
    My objective is justice, I want my netbooks, those of my clients, and yours to perform as expected.
    Thanks, Ed Houle, Microsoft Certified Systems Enginerr, Vicenza, Italy

houleed, Oct 6, 2010
  13. maartendq

CaMoTe

mine are :

HD-506-290910
    HD-932-150910
    HD-4696-110910
    CRA-060910-403
    (all acer australia)

Case No. 140110-7
    (acer Philippines)

CaMoTe, Oct 6, 2010
  14. maartendq

BadenPowell

Hi Camote,

Yes I am a Scout :)
    Also for me they replaced with a motherboard with the Z520 processor,
    which is not a problem for me as long as it works. (And so far it does)

Forgot to mention by the way, that they also updated the bios and replaced the memory
    (which in some cases also helped according to the forum).

I will keep posting the results...
    How many motherboard replacements have failed to solve the issue?

Interesting note however was that when I got the netbook back I had to reactivate windows 7.
    (Which makes sense as I installed it myself and is not supported by Acer, it just confirms it indeed did get a Motherboard replacement)

Still happy from my side any way!

Btw, I am reading several articles on overclocking the a0751h, is there an Howto for that?

BadenPowell, Oct 6, 2010
  15. maartendq

CaMoTe

i think there are instructions on overclocking a few pages back in this thread...

anyway, yup, as long as it works... i already have 2gb of memory so i don't think i can level that up... and also, my bios has just been updated by acer last month so i would like to believe it's up to date...

anyway, so far, i had two freezes in a five hour period... i'm hoping that this is just a hiccup and that the change in motherboard has resolved my problem...

i still have to test it on skype as everyone i call are still sleeping on their side of the earth... i will do a word file later and see from there...

will update you guys...

cheers!!!

CaMoTe, Oct 6, 2010
  16. maartendq

CaMoTe

it's official, unit still freezes, despite a change in mother board... could it be that the z520s are faulty??? or am i just unlucky??? the technician who came by said that out of 1000 units, it is normal to have 5-10% of them have problems...

that to me is unacceptable...

anyway, i already made acer know... i am interested to hear what they plan to do about this...

CaMoTe, Oct 6, 2010
  17. maartendq

freezer

Keep us updated on how it goes. I guess that could be a reason why "Bricking" the netbook would not work since they could replace it with another faulty motherboard.

WE ARE 3 AWAY FROM 1000 POST regarding this crappy netbook.

freezer, Oct 6, 2010
  18. maartendq

freezer

Acer sucks!!!

(we are 2 post away from 1000 post.)

freezer, Oct 6, 2010
  19. maartendq

freezer

Sometimes I wonder if Acer is that stupid that they don't realize there is a problem with this netbook, or are they that deceptive to hide the problem???

(We are 1 post away from 1000!!!)

freezer, Oct 6, 2010
  20. maartendq

freezer

IT'S OFFICIAL, THERE ARE 1000 POST REGARDING THE FAULTY MOTHERBOARD.

freezer, Oct 6, 2010
Ask a Question